Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 AM

77 posts, read 103,636 times

Advertisements

Trying to crunch some numbers here and get a better idea of COL. Seems like Lincoln Square, Andersonville, and Uptown are the areas with the biggest appeal to me, but I'm considering others. I would be bringing my car, but would be interested in utilizing public transit to The Loop. I would prefer rents $2000 and below... obviously the lower the better. Would love to get people's thoughts on your average monthly costs for the following -

Housing/Rent:
Utilities:
Cable/internet:
Fuel:
Train/Transit Pass (possibly):
Groceries (how many people?):
Anything else important?:

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahette View Post
Trying to crunch some numbers here and get a better idea of COL. Seems like Lincoln Square, Andersonville, and Uptown are the areas with the biggest appeal to me, but I'm considering others. I would be bringing my car, but would be interested in utilizing public transit to The Loop. I would prefer rents $2000 and below... obviously the lower the better. Would love to get people's thoughts on your average monthly costs for the following -

Housing/Rent:
Utilities:
Cable/internet:
Fuel:

Thanks!!
Since I know you are looking for a 2 bedroom, then I'll say that your housing/rent in those areas will probably be no more than $1600-$1700/month and you could probably find it for $1300-$1500. If you get an unlimited transit pass, then it's going to be $100/month but you can pay as you go and it could be less than that. Fuel? Fuel here per gallon is expensive but if you're living in these areas, you probably won't be driving that much even if you have a car. Maybe $30-$40/month? Hard to say really but Chicago is a city, especially in the areas that you mentioned, that you walk or take public transit. You can take your car, but usually it would be to go to other areas that are not very accessible via public transit (i.e. takes a long time) or maybe a few other reasons.

Groceries and stuff really depends on your usage, but up there groceries are at least less. Try and scope out ethnic grocery stores too if you want to keep costs down. They're usually cheaper.

Anything else? Just general stuff like sometimes you may need a cab if you're in certain situations in certain places, so budget a little bit for that. If you plan on going out to eat or drinking every once in awhile, and of course parking if you plan on either getting a private spot or doing parking on the street where it's zoned (it's like $25/year). Some areas there though street parking is free. Your car insurance may go up a little too once you make the move because you now live in the city.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Awesome, thank you so much, this is very helpful! I hadn't thought about parking, so that's definitely something I have to add to my list. I try to save on groceries by going to my local farmers market and Aldi - anything I can't get at those 2, then I hit the more expensive store.

What would average utility costs be for a 2BR townhouse/flat? Do they do budget plans where it's the same year round? The average for my 3BR house here is $125-$175 I'd say.

I checked out the train pass and the fares would actually be cheaper if I paid daily - ends up being $90 for twice per day M-F. But then again, I'd have to pay more if I wanted to go into town more often, so the $100 unlimited would probably be a better bet.

My money situation is very tight as I have alot of debt. My car will be paid off next year though, so that will loosen things up a bit. I don't have alot of fun spending money because of that. Now that the interview is getting closer, I need to figure out exactly how much I need salary-wise to make it work.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
If money is tight, sell the car.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 PM

846 posts, read 1,401,688 times
So I can tell you OUR expenses, however, we live in a much more affordable (albeit less desirable) area: Pilsen. We love it, it fits our needs and we're really close to the El but to each their own. While we have our car (a v8 gas guzzler), we don't even spend $20/month in gas... actually, we rent it out through Relay Rides and it's rarely even home. I'm hoping my girlfriend will be open to selling it soon... I'm sick of it. It's a total and complete hassle here (not in Pilsen, but in Chicago as a whole). We brought our car and thought everyone was "kidding" that it would be more of a hassle than it's worth, they weren't.

Don't forget to calculate your city sticker (and possible other car registration fees, particularly if this is a permanent move).

If you have pets, calculate that.

We don't have a car payment as we own our vehicle.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
I'm paying $1370 a month for a spacious 2 bedroom with a rear sun room and 1 john in Lincoln Square, about 1700 square feet; 2nd floor of a 3 flat. Parking in the garage on the alley was included, so was heat and water.

I'm moving out next month.

Groceries are dear in Chicago, down here in St. Augustine they're about 25% cheaper, no lie.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 10-05-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahette View Post

Housing/Rent:
Utilities:
Cable/internet:
Fuel:

Thanks!!
My expenses. I'm not thrifty, so keep that in mind.

1. 2 bedroom, $2000 split, so $1000.
2. Electric is maybe $80, but higher in the summer. Gas & water is included in the rent.
3 Included, but should be less than $65 for TV and internet. Depending on package of course.
4. Depends on how much you drive. I have a car and a bike, but the car is rarely used. Maybe, $60/month, maybe.
5. $100/month
6. $200? I don't actually pay that much attention to the price as long as it is relatively healthy.
7. Depends on how often you like to shop and go out. My gf probably spends more than my rent on just shoes in any given month, but I spend less than $300 in any given month and much of that is usually on my gf. Restaurants and bars might take up $400 in any given month for 2 people. Tons of free stuff to do in the city though.

You'll want to add in insurance - renter's, health, auto, etc. and those are priced individually. If for some reason a parking spot isn't included in the rent you can budget $200/mo for a parking spot.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Thank you everyone, this is all very helpful!

Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 PM

437 posts, read 649,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm paying $1370 a month for a spacious 2 bedroom with a rear sun room and 1 john in Lincoln Square, about 1700 square feet; 2nd floor of a 3 flat. Parking in the garage on the alley was included, so was heat and water.

I'm moving out next month.

Groceries are dear in Chicago, down here in St. Augustine they're about 25% cheaper, no lie.
LOVE the Lincoln Square 'hood! The other two neighborhoods the OP was interested in would be more congested and parking would be a nightmare! Although, Andersonville is a hoot, very eclectic and walkability is pretty awesome. Uptown is NOT one of my faves, as it's just too sketchy for me, at times.

If you don't want to keep your car, make sure you're near an El station... *elevated train*, as in Lincoln Square, there are no buses that run up Lincoln Avenue.... but plenty on surrounding streets, and the Brown Line is close. Get a feel for how you need/want to get downtown, if using public transportation, (and I recommend the train, over buses!!), and then map your search.

Route & System Guides | CTA

Everyone has already given you a good summation of what to expect, and I love that someone told you about the City Sticker for your car. There are a lot of taxes this City/State take that most don't think about, but us Chicagoans would love to forget. Between registering your car, getting an annual city sticker, the annual license plate sticker, paying for monthly parking, or fighting for street parking and moving your car if it's on a "street cleaning" day..... UGH!! And now TOO many streets are "owned" by LAZ Parking, which means you'll be paying out the A** for parking by the hour, and they're out in force, to ticket you. So, either ditch the car, *I wouldn't, personally*, or find a place with a garage space for rent, *even if it's a block or two away*, or pay for the luxury of having a car in the city.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, I have to tell you that no nice car is going to stay that way in the city. smh.... it's a shameful truth. Between people backing into your front or back fenders, while parking, to those opening doors into yours in any parking lot, to the valet guys treating your car like an annoying younger sister, to the jagoffs who just key it as they're riding by on a bike, 'cause...... just 'cause. *shrugs*

Eating out can be done on the cheap. Drinking in the city on a dime takes some homework on your part, but that's kinda fun, as you learn about the places that fit your vibe and groove. Groceries can be bought in the Lincoln Square 'hood at Aldi, close by, or you can drive down Lincoln Ave. to Trader Joe's, *same ownership*, and get a little more of a hipster attitude while you shop for 3 Buck Chuck.

Again, I am a HUGE fan of Lincoln Square, and will tell you that it's a LOT of younger families.... so you'll see a lot of nannies during the day, strolling around with their charges, 30 somethings trying to settle in in very expensive homes/condos/TH and actually have a social life, and the German stalwarts who refuse to leave. *Glad they don't, 'cause the German/American Fest in Sept., IN the Square, is a must not miss event!

Andersonville is my next fave, and it caters more towards the lesbian/gay/transsexual community, and yet has a LOT of families moving in, as they find that the rents are less, the choice of eateries is more abundant and the diversity is apparent. But it is congested!!! Parking is a nightmare of mammoth proportions and there's a bit more seediness in areas surrounding, than with L.S. *Just my experience/observation.

Depends on what you're wants are, how far you want to travel on the el/bus, how congested you want to live, and what group of people you feel most comfortable with. *hey, we all have a need to feel we belong*

LOVE my city, hate City Hall. LOVE the lake, hate how much it costs to live near it. LOVE the restaurants, theatre, nightlife, colleges, philanthropic advantages, neighborhood communities, Spring-Fall Festivals... HATE the Winter.

But you'll be renting, so you won't have to worry about shoveling... and if you get a garage, *GET A GARAGE SPACE*, you won't have to shovel your car out, EVER.

WELCOME!!!!!!! Let us know where you land!

bullie~

Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
If you don't want to keep your car, make sure you're near an El station... *elevated train*, as in Lincoln Square, there are no buses that run up Lincoln Avenue....
The No. 11 bus still runs on Lincoln Avenue north of the Western Brown Line stop, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago