Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
All of the above...

Chicago is a place that is so beautiful and offers so much that you never get bored. I'll never tire of walking around or shopping downtown, driving LSD, the museums, driving around different neighborhoods and viewing the architechture, staring at Lake Michigan, going to the museums, Garrett's popcorn, good and cheap food. I could go on and on.

It's also a place the you can enjoy on a budget. Talking walks and having lunch after was something I always did when I lived there.
All of the above and more...

The "best bang or you buck" of any "worldly" city in North America, and possibly in the Western Hemisphere, with easily-navigable streets, superior mass transit, great shopping and choice of restaurants, and very reasonable housing costs, esp when compared to other large American cities..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
All of the above and more...

The "best bang or you buck" of any "worldly" city in North America, and possibly in the Western Hemisphere, with easily-navigable streets, superior mass transit, great shopping and choice of restaurants, and very reasonable housing costs, esp when compared to other large American cities..
People in Atlanta have called me a liar when I say housing in Atlanta is just as much as Chicago's and I pay as much in rent in Atlanta as I did there. They don't believe it lol. They also don't believe that you don't need a car at all in Chicago and I never, ever drove when I lived there. They think I'm making it all up.

I guess because they believe that Atlanta is the cheapest major city. People assume it's just as expensive as New York City. But Chicago is underrated and the people who say silly things about Chicago have never been there.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
People in Atlanta have called me a liar when I say housing in Atlanta is just as much as Chicago's and I pay as much in rent in Atlanta as I did there. They don't believe it lol.

I kind of find that hard to believe myself! If you are paying the same. I am sure the quality of your apartment is not to level of Atlanta.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
People in Atlanta have called me a liar when I say housing in Atlanta is just as much as Chicago's and I pay as much in rent in Atlanta as I did there. They don't believe it lol.

I kind of find that hard to believe myself! If you are paying the same. I am sure the quality of your apartment is not to level of Atlanta.
That's actually not true. I've had better and bigger apartments in Chicago for the same price. Granted these apartments were on the south side (but not in the ghetto), but I saw no difference in rents when I moved here. They are about the same and you get way fewer neighborhood amenities and crappy transit in Atlanta. In Atlanta you will pay $1600 for a 2 bedroom apartment in a "nice" suburb and what they consider great neighborhood amenities at that price here is to be walking distance to Target, Applebee's and Chipotle with nothing else there. They consider that to be upscale in Atlanta and people here pay for that. No exaggeration.

This is idea that you get huge, fancy apartments for cheap in Atlanta isn't true and the places here with cheap rent are usually in dangerous areas. If you find a place in a nice area for cheap in Atlanta, it's a tiny, poorly-maintained dump. It may be cheaper than NYC but it's comparable to Chicago.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-23-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
That's actually not true. I've had better and bigger apartments in Chicago for the same price. Granted these apartments were on the south side (but not in the ghetto), but I saw no difference in rents when I moved here. They are about the same and you get way fewer neighborhood amenities and crappy transit in Atlanta. In Atlanta you will pay $1600 for a 2 bedroom apartment in a "nice" suburb and what they consider great neighborhood amenities at that price here is to be walking distance to Target, Applebee's and Chipotle with nothing else there. They consider that to be upscale in Atlanta and people here pay for that. No exaggeration.

This is idea that you get huge, fancy apartments for cheap in Atlanta isn't true and the places here with cheap rent are usually in dangerous areas. If you find a place in a nice area for cheap in Atlanta, it's a tiny, poorly-maintained dump. It may be cheaper than NYC but it's comparable to Chicago.
If Applebee's is considered to be a perk of upscale neighborhoods in Atlanta, then all bets are off...LOL

Old 09-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If Applebee's is considered to be a perk of upscale neighborhoods in Atlanta, then all bets are off...LOL
The developers here have somehow convinced Atlantans of relative good means that an Ikea-grade, 2-bedroom condo in the suburbs overlooking strip malls that contain nothing but casual dining and fast food restaurants and discount departments stores are worth $600k.

You can get way better on the lakefront for that in Chicago.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Chicago is a great city. I relish every moment I am able to spend there.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
The developers here have somehow convinced Atlantans of relative good means that an Ikea-grade, 2-bedroom condo in the suburbs overlooking strip malls that contain nothing but casual dining and fast food restaurants and discount departments stores are worth $600k.
LOl!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
All of the above...

Chicago is a place that is so beautiful and offers so much that you never get bored. I'll never tire of walking around or shopping downtown, driving LSD, the museums, driving around different neighborhoods and viewing the architechture, staring at Lake Michigan, going to the museums, Garrett's popcorn, good and cheap food. I could go on and on.

It's also a place the you can enjoy on a budget. Talking walks and having lunch after was something I always did when I lived there.
Yep, all of the above.

I miss being able to walk down the lakefront (I am in Houston and it is very car centric). Great public transportation - I love being able to hop on the train. When I walked, I didn't plan to walk back and would just take the train back if I was tired.

I love hearing different languages as I walked from neighborhood to neighborhood.

I love the different ethnic foods I could get without having to drive.

I love the seasons on the lake too.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yep, all of the above.

I miss being able to walk down the lakefront (I am in Houston and it is very car centric). Great public transportation - I love being able to hop on the train. When I walked, I didn't plan to walk back and would just take the train back if I was tired.

I love hearing different languages as I walked from neighborhood to neighborhood.

I love the different ethnic foods I could get without having to drive.

I love the seasons on the lake too.
I used to take CTA from the far southwest side all the way to Devon Ave just to eat Indian food or grab some samosas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: