Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 34,354 times

Advertisements

Recently moved here and I would like to know the best way to meet people. I wasn't planning on joining a gym just yet, and I'm not exactly an extrovert. I'm worried because the seasons are changing and people usually stay in during the winter (at least where I'm from). Any suggestions for a 20something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,985,395 times
First of all, most people don't stay in during the winter here - That's just frivolous (yes maybe some do, but most social people still go out no matter what). They just don't hang out on the streets/sidewalks as much (for obvious reasons). Bars, restaurants, events, etc are still as packed in the winter as they are in the summer.

In any case, think about what interests you and then find Meetup groups for those. Just like in college (if you went), making friends at clubs was easier than randomly making a friend at say a bar. Same concept here.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 PM

101 posts, read 172,307 times
Do you work or go to school? Those are normally the first places to go. Otherwise, where ever your interests take you are good places, though it's more difficult if you're by yourself or introverted. At worst, you can try one of those speed dating events, as long as you're too not picky about the people you meet.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM

20 posts, read 121,056 times
You can try taking a class. My husband loved taking group guitar classes at Old Town School of Music. It sounded like a group of students would go for drinks after class.

You could also try Friend Matchup (www.friendmatchup.com).

Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 AM

80 posts, read 130,823 times
welcome to chicago.

how did you make friends in your previous residency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago