Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
seems you don't understand how citations work.

shocking.
Come on, smarty, break it down for me. Your idiot pal posts a typical content-free post and you jump on me?

It not even clear if Aleking's post is supporting or refuting the idea that Chicago will have a Baton Rogue like climate.

There are others that have explained that the City's efforts to plant trees are not some panicked reponse to anthrogenic climate change but part of more understandable range of goals that include beautification, storm water management and similar "routine" municipal duties.

Further others have posted links that explain the dire predictions have largely been disavowed by studies that show earlier models failed to have sufficient understanding of powerful climate cycles that involve everything from deep ocean current to prehistoric volcanoes.

Your trollish behavior is not annoying so much as bewildering. The hosts of this site have awarded me monetarily twice now. The appreciation I get from other forum members is pretty much unprecedented on the sub-boards I frequent. How many of your posts are even read? Maybe if you would link to a useful source that supports your arguements (pretty sure that is still the definition of citation...) that would show you have anything other than personal attacks to offer, but since you prefer to hurl baseless insults I would hold my breath waiting for anything of value...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
I remember reading how water will be affected by climate change. We will still have reliable sources of water that the west and southwest, including parts of Texas, won't have. Will we have a population shift back north, a return from the sunbelt??

Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Read the science behind it rather than just saying that. It is important to be skeptical, but also important to do the research.

Climate Change: News - Warm ocean rapidly melting Antarctic ice shelf from below
I agree, as I'm a scientist, but I thought I'd put a general statement in there. NASA does a lot of things, and not always correct. One of them was supposed to be a pole shift in 2012 that never happened.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree, as I'm a scientist, but I thought I'd put a general statement in there. NASA does a lot of things, and not always correct. One of them was supposed to be a pole shift in 2012 that never happened.
DUDE!! You mean to tell me there was actual science behind the movie 2012?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
DUDE!! You mean to tell me there was actual science behind the movie 2012?
Believe it or not, NASA did research and said there would be a pole shift in 2012. However, pole shifts happen all the time (in the context of Earth's history), so ha ha - no it didn't relate to the "world ending in 2012."

Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I have a few friends that work at Fermi or Argonne. Among them there is general agreement that only those who've earned a PhD or equivlent foreign degree are called "scientist", I suspect this is a little out of tradition / respect, a little becuase there are official pay grades / roles, and partly out of clarity as though both facilities are primarily DOE facilities there are also staff associate with the labs that are more technicians / engineers. (I belive the large computer firms and other R&D driven companies have a similar classification -- the most valuable folks without a doctorate given be called "distinguished engineer" or something similar but to be called any kind "scientist" the doctorate level degree is part of package...)

Interestingly there are very few "climate scientists" or others in related fields at either lab -- a handful of folks who do work advanced computer models and very large data sets have a such a background.
Over the years the labs have sponsored lectures / symposia about climate. A few years back the focus was on UV radiation and the "ozone hole". The next big buzz even among the PhD community of scientists (granted, very heavy in HE physics at both labs...) was the doomsday scenario the former poltiicians helped to get the message out. I saw many folks at the labs switch to hybrid or even early EV cars. The dire message seems to have moderated and while still more common than in the general population the percentage of hybrids has not been such a runaway. Heck I think I've seen more Tesla vehicles in Oak Brook & Hinsdsle than the labs... (cost is no doubt an issue, as small, efficient and low priced cars are popular at either lab...).

Many of the folks that I know best feel that "fear" is the wrong angle on these things -- seeing the lack of progress / understanding that the general public has about either fission or fusion and the gross ignorance displayed about subatomic particles no doubt shapes this view. Insulating ones home is one of those "win, win, win" type things helps you directly with lower fuel bills / more comfortable homes, helps stall off bigger power plants, helps mitigate the largest source of a typical families carbon footprint... The more "gadgety" lab employees have been early adopters of remote thermostats, LED bulbs and "green friendly" appliances, but there are also a far number of bright people that worry far less about heat trapped in the atmosphere than other potential sources of resource driven conflict...

Old 09-20-2013, 02:34 AM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Come on, smarty, break it down for me. Your idiot pal posts a typical content-free post and you jump on me?

It not even clear if Aleking's post is supporting or refuting the idea that Chicago will have a Baton Rogue like climate.

There are others that have explained that the City's efforts to plant trees are not some panicked reponse to anthrogenic climate change but part of more understandable range of goals that include beautification, storm water management and similar "routine" municipal duties.

Further others have posted links that explain the dire predictions have largely been disavowed by studies that show earlier models failed to have sufficient understanding of powerful climate cycles that involve everything from deep ocean current to prehistoric volcanoes.

Your trollish behavior is not annoying so much as bewildering. The hosts of this site have awarded me monetarily twice now. The appreciation I get from other forum members is pretty much unprecedented on the sub-boards I frequent. How many of your posts are even read? Maybe if you would link to a useful source that supports your arguements (pretty sure that is still the definition of citation...) that would show you have anything other than personal attacks to offer, but since you prefer to hurl baseless insults I would hold my breath waiting for anything of value...
I would by lying if i said i didn't bust out laughing multiple times as I read this post. Congrats, you are the king of an online message board.

You are truly one of a kind, chet.

As for how citations work, that responsibility rests upon the person making the claim, not the other way around. Debate is clearly not your forte.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM

I read about our climate warming over the next 25-100 years. I don't recall it being compared with Louisiana climate. IIRC: Wetter winters, with an increase in rain over snow, but still including snow events. Warmer summers. More like Springfield, IL or St. Louis. BUT with easterly spring winds over Lake Michigan, warm spring days will continue to be hijacked by lake effect winds. The tree species being selected are reflecting this and also including a more diverse species as a hedge against currently unknown future diseases or insects and to be faster growing. When my ash trees go, I would rather see a honey locust tree replace it rather than a maple, because the honey locust is going to grow much quicker!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I read about our climate warming over the next 25-100 years. I don't recall it being compared with Louisiana climate. IIRC: Wetter winters, with an increase in rain over snow, but still including snow events. Warmer summers. More like Springfield, IL or St. Louis. BUT with easterly spring winds over Lake Michigan, warm spring days will continue to be hijacked by lake effect winds. The tree species being selected are reflecting this and also including a more diverse species as a hedge against currently unknown future diseases or insects and to be faster growing. When my ash trees go, I would rather see a honey locust tree replace it rather than a maple, because the honey locust is going to grow much quicker!
What I heard was that Chicago winters would become more like Texas, and Chicago summers would become more like Oklahoma. Or was it summers like Texas and winters like Oklahoma? I can't remember which.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
If world carbon emissions continued apace, the scientists said, Chicago would have summers like the Deep South, with as many as 72 days over 90 degrees before the end of the century. For most of the 20th century, the city averaged fewer than 15.

By 2070, Chicago could expect 35 percent more precipitation in winter and spring, but 20 percent less in summer and fall.

First off, with all those billions of tons of co2 already emitted, Chicago summers are warming (mean temps) but mainly rising temps at night (increased UHI)
Second Chicago is seeing fewer 90F and 100F days in recent years during the summer
Third Chicago is getting wetter not drier in the summer.
Fourth climate models are bull****.

This graphic goes only through 2007, and 2012 had tied the second most 90 degree days on record, but the trend is evident. Downward....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And wetter

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Who knows what the climate will be like here in 80 years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago