Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvery View Post
and... the reviews i saw of that hostel are all positive... so I thought it was trust-worthy...
If your okay with a room without a window, that place would be fine. I personally would be okay with it for a low cost, short term stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
The person who said not to stay there is a cranky old man.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Hey, I could be a 21 year old cheerleader / hipster / pixie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
The person who said not to stay there is a cranky old man.
And that still would not change the fact the windowless death trap is a recipe for doom. Go read Chicago Building Code 13-196-50 and tell me what requirements these idiots are in violation of. WHEN some firefighters die trying to pull bodies out of one these airbnb tenements the whole city will be "cranky"

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Okay Chet, you've made your point.

If you couldn't stay in a place unless it was up to current code, most people wouldn't have a home. I think this person can evaluate this risk and determine if its worth it or not.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Default I really doubt that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Okay Chet, you've made your point.

If you couldn't stay in a place unless it was up to current code, most people wouldn't have a home. I think this person can evaluate this risk and determine if its worth it or not.
Look, this is not a some weenie little technical violation like a improper type of lightbulb in a closet. This is some absentee landlord trying to rent out "space" that is about as fit for human habitation as a darned broom closet! No one in their right mind would advertise this as a legal bedroom let alone a suitable rental space. It is absolute afront to anyone that understand that there are life safety codes that require bedrooms to have secondary means of egress becuase there have been tragedies where people have been trapped and firefighers have died.

I might as well rent out a few storage spaces in a U-Lock-It and try advertising those with the craven morons running airbnb.

Someone will be INCINERATED in this deathtrap and I personally hope the SOB that is trying to promote this is prosecuted for having a callous disregard for human life -- that is voluntary manslaughter or 2nd degree murder in the Illinois compiled statues. Scary enough?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 AM

30 posts, read 63,196 times
Thanks for all the comments

I'm also looking at one apartment in Elmwood Park... Chicago 60707 near Oak Park.

It looks a little suburb to me though, but I see there's an university nearby so kind of reminds me of the Washington Square in NYC, which is quite safe...

Can anyone tell me a little bit of this?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Elmwood Park is probably much more like Queens than Washington Square.

Though I personally Elmwood Park to be rather time consuming to get to the Loop via transit than its proximity might suggest it is not the worst town. If the place you are contemplating is safer and cheaper the trade-off may be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago