Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I disagree, respectfully of course. Energy use, destruction of farmland and water tables, racial and economic segregation, and sub par educational systems in urban areas are national, not local, concerns.
Even global concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
$10 says I can link the Bubonic Plague to suburban sprawl with an hour on Google

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Even global concerns.
Agree.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ3791 View Post
I think the feds should try to figure out neutral policies that don't favor cities over suburbs or vice versa, and let states and local governments decide which way they want to go in a particular area.
If that means finally ending the tax breaks the oil industry gets, great. The suburbs were built on cheap gas, and that is gone and never coming back. Urban living is the future as it is more economical to deliver services/maintain infrastructure in high-density areas.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
If that means finally ending the tax breaks the oil industry gets, great. The suburbs were built on cheap gas, and that is gone and never coming back. Urban living is the future as it is more economical to deliver services/maintain infrastructure in high-density areas.
I think the suburbs would continue to exist in an expensive-gas-future, but as higher-density nodes around transit stops (like the streetcar suburbs of the early 20th century). The sprawling areas between these nodes would become less desirable and fall in to disrepair or abandonment. Perhaps they would be inhabited by nomadic tribes of "road warriors" who battle in gladiator-like battles in "thunderdromes".

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the suburbs would continue to exist in an expensive-gas-future, but as higher-density nodes around transit stops (like the streetcar suburbs of the early 20th century). The sprawling areas between these nodes would become less desirable and fall in to disrepair or abandonment. Perhaps they would be inhabited by nomadic tribes of "road warriors" who battle in gladiator-like battles in "thunderdromes".
Most will, but the exurbs are likely to wither away and die.

Same thing with all of the urban sprawl in places like Phoenix. There are just some places people weren't meant to live, and even though Chicago may be one of them, the infrastructure commitment has already been made and there's no going back now.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM

158 posts, read 302,566 times
In the future I think the Southwestern US in going to depopulate. They have huge water issues combined with the Oil Issues. I think further out suburbs that survive are ones that have access to the Metra Train and many suburbs do. It will help Inner suburbs like Elmwood Park and River Grove stop decline. It could led to gentrification of Cicero and Berwyn too. It also prevents the decline from starting in places like Norridge, Harwood Heights and Niles.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM

147 posts, read 164,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I disagree, respectfully of course. Energy use, destruction of farmland and water tables, racial and economic segregation, and sub par educational systems in urban areas are national, not local, concerns.
Well, they're both, but just because something is a national concern, that doesn't mean the Feds need to get involved in it. The Feds are good for uniform solutions, but don't see that such solutions are needed here. I'd prefer to see everything handled at a lower level of government unless there is a good reason for a higher level to do it.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM

147 posts, read 164,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think suburbs will survive, but living there will be more expensive, so they'll go back to being predominantly middle-class and above. It would be cool to see a revival of street car suburbs, though.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The sprawling areas between these nodes would become less desirable and fall in to disrepair or abandonment. Perhaps they would be inhabited by nomadic tribes of "road warriors" who battle in gladiator-like battles in "thunderdromes".
In other words, the current inhabitants of the west and south sides of Chicago would move out there. I could totally see that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago