Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 12,266 times

Advertisements

We're a young couple looking to move to either Chicago or Newark/NYC. We've never been to either of these cities and will not have the chance to before we move. Our apartment budget is $800 - $1000, but will likely raise after a few months.

Here's what we need to distinguish between these two cities:
- What types of areas can we expect to live in considering our current budget? And what are the names of these areas?
- What are the job prospects like for someone entering the web design/development field?
- What the cost of living is like for each city?
- Which city is safer to live in?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,977,824 times
Are you looking for a 1 bedroom, studio, 2 bedroom...?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 12,266 times
1 bedroom would be nice, but a studio would do just fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM

5,524 posts, read 8,789,571 times
I think you'll have much more luck finding a place within your budget in Chicago than in NYC, where $1000 really won't get you much of anything in any halfway decent neighborhood. With a bit of luck it might get you a studio in some part of the city far from Manhattan, but maybe not even that. And perhaps its possible in one of the city suburbs, but you should post in the New York forums to check. I don't know them as well, but $1000 still sounds pretty low. Plus you'd have to add in either commuting or car onwership costs. And why Newark?

I think Chicago is your best bet. The cost of decent housing in metro NYC is very high.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,608,513 times
For that price in Chicago you can get a studio in almost any neighborhood, a 1 BR most places, and a 2 BR many places. I would not want to attempt to live in NYC on that monthly housing budget, and wouldn't want to live in Newark on any budget.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 37,070 times
To be perfectly honest, I would suggest trying to land jobs in either city first. Car costs aside, Chicago you can probably get by cheaper. New York has more opportunities, amenities, and whatnot on a grand scale, but it's much more competitive. Also not a nice city to move to without a job for sure in your hands.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,641,615 times
U need to at least visit a place once befo movin, wat if u hate it?
Secondly, u don wan live in newark unless u like yo car stolen and wakin up to a lovely sound of gunplay in da mornings
Thirdly, wit yo budget u will only afford a dog kennel in da projects, u seem to not understand how extremely expensive nyc/nj is
I strongly suggest u consider chi instead

Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,977,824 times
Chicago with that budget will afford you a more comfortable living than NYC for sure. You can find 1 bedrooms in good neighborhoods here for that, and if you want a studio, even less (unless it's a new luxury high rise).

Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 PM

541 posts, read 914,426 times
You can find that rent in Newark/JC and Manhattan is only a PATH ride away, but its not worth it because that area of Jersey is a ****ing dump.

Go with Chicago or if you wanna do NYC, Brooklyn.

Im from NY, lived in NY/NJ and now am looking at Chicago myself.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,428,034 times
For NYC, Queens might also be worth considering. It's not as hip as Brooklyn, but the transportation is quite solid in this borough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
You can find that rent in Newark/JC and Manhattan is only a PATH ride away, but its not worth it because that area of Jersey is a ****ing dump.

Go with Chicago or if you wanna do NYC, Brooklyn.

Im from NY, lived in NY/NJ and now am looking at Chicago myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago