Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:04 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
You can find that rent in Newark/JC and Manhattan is only a PATH ride away, but its not worth it because that area of Jersey is a ****ing dump.

Go with Chicago or if you wanna do NYC, Brooklyn.

Im from NY, lived in NY/NJ and now am looking at Chicago myself.
Are there really still safe-ish areas of Brooklyn that have apartments for under a grand? I didn't realize that. I assume if there are they must be way out on the side opposite Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
U need to at least visit a place once befo movin, wat if u hate it?
Secondly, u don wan live in newark unless u like yo car stolen and wakin up to a lovely sound of gunplay in da mornings
Thirdly, wit yo budget u will only afford a dog kennel in da projects, u seem to not understand how extremely expensive nyc/nj is
I strongly suggest u consider chi instead

Dude, your whigger routine is getting old. I don't mean to hijack this thread but still...

Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Dude, your whigger routine is getting old. I don't mean to hijack this thread but still...
still, tell em y u mad tho

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Are there really still safe-ish areas of Brooklyn that have apartments for under a grand? I didn't realize that. I assume if there are they must be way out on the side opposite Manhattan.
no theres not
i dont even kno unsafish areas wit dat kinda prices

Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Chiming in...
Grew up in NYC (UWS), have lived all areas in the city including Queens & Brooklyn, lived in Hoboken & Jersey City, now moving to Chicago in a couple of weeks (yay!).
Am a real estate agent in NYC and I can tell you for an absolute fact the only place you're going to find an apartment in NYC for under $1000 is the Bronx or the worst parts of Brooklyn (ie East New York, with one of the highest murder rates in the country, and the like). Even Queens has gotten ridiculous with rental pricing.
As for Newark, you may find something in the Ironbound section of Newark (which is actually not bad at all) but really, Newark isn't really that safe. You might want to try Harrison (it's the town right across the river from Newark where the Red Bulls have a new soccer stadium); it's the PATH stop right before Newark, so approx 20+ mins to the city. It's "gritty" and "in transition" but definitely up and coming (I believe they've designated the area as the next Transit Village).

Honestly, you should consider Chicago. Housing seems waaaaay more affordable by far, with no decrease in quality of life as compared to NYC. When i look at what our rent in Chicago will be, as compared to rent in NYC, it's insane how much more disposable income we will have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Meadz View Post
We're a young couple looking to move to either Chicago or Newark/NYC. We've never been to either of these cities and will not have the chance to before we move. Our apartment budget is $800 - $1000, but will likely raise after a few months.

Here's what we need to distinguish between these two cities:
- What types of areas can we expect to live in considering our current budget? And what are the names of these areas?
- What are the job prospects like for someone entering the web design/development field?
- What the cost of living is like for each city?
- Which city is safer to live in?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated!
For $800 you'll be living in a closet in NYC

Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Some ridiculous NYC rents:
THE WORST ROOM

Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Some ridiculous NYC rents:
THE WORST ROOM
man its so bad its almost comical

Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
man its so bad its almost comical
Yeah. Even without the prices, some of these are quite comical. There are some larger cities around the world where this goes on too, but they don't charge people ridiculous prices (relative to COL) usually..

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
How are rents in White Plains and the surrounding Westchester County towns? I like how White Plains has pretty solid express train service into Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. The town itself has a solid satellite city feeling (like an Evanston, IL with more companies actually located in it) but with more bars & suburban nightlife (like Naperville, IL). And on that note, how about Stamford, Connecticut (also has decent train access to NYC & good job opportunities right in town) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Chiming in...
Grew up in NYC (UWS), have lived all areas in the city including Queens & Brooklyn, lived in Hoboken & Jersey City, now moving to Chicago in a couple of weeks (yay!).
Am a real estate agent in NYC and I can tell you for an absolute fact the only place you're going to find an apartment in NYC for under $1000 is the Bronx or the worst parts of Brooklyn (ie East New York, with one of the highest murder rates in the country, and the like). Even Queens has gotten ridiculous with rental pricing.
As for Newark, you may find something in the Ironbound section of Newark (which is actually not bad at all) but really, Newark isn't really that safe. You might want to try Harrison (it's the town right across the river from Newark where the Red Bulls have a new soccer stadium); it's the PATH stop right before Newark, so approx 20+ mins to the city. It's "gritty" and "in transition" but definitely up and coming (I believe they've designated the area as the next Transit Village).

Honestly, you should consider Chicago. Housing seems waaaaay more affordable by far, with no decrease in quality of life as compared to NYC. When i look at what our rent in Chicago will be, as compared to rent in NYC, it's insane how much more disposable income we will have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago