Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM

106 posts, read 173,302 times

Advertisements

It's amazing how many of these you read and how you don't feel like YOUR questions are being answered. Here is my situation.

Just took a job, working downtown (technically right by Atrium mall on N Clarke) and am looking on finding a good apartment rental. I currently live in Milwaukee suburb so I am used to rent on the lower side, but I will be making over 75k at the new job, so I would like to have rent around 1100 for a 2 bedroom that is pet friendly (2 small cats). We are a newly married couple in our mid to lat 20s that aren't big in the bar scene, but love zoos, museums, and other very touristy type things.

My fiancé would be working in the River Forest area, but I am not too knowledged on traffic to get out for the city for work. We have been told Lincoln Park is very good, but am open to suggestion. Any help would be great and if there are any questions, please let me know.

Isaac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
It's amazing how many of these you read and how you don't feel like YOUR questions are being answered. Here is my situation.

Just took a job, working downtown (technically right by Atrium mall on N Clarke) and am looking on finding a good apartment rental. I currently live in Milwaukee suburb so I am used to rent on the lower side, but I will be making over 75k at the new job, so I would like to have rent around 1100 for a 2 bedroom that is pet friendly (2 small cats). We are a newly married couple in our mid to lat 20s that aren't big in the bar scene, but love zoos, museums, and other very touristy type things.

My fiancé would be working in the River Forest area, but I am not too knowledged on traffic to get out for the city for work. We have been told Lincoln Park is very good, but am open to suggestion. Any help would be great and if there are any questions, please let me know.

Isaac
In no way will you be able to afford a two bedroom in Lincoln Park on $1100/month. The one bedrooms usually cost that much there or sometimes even more for a more luxurious place. My ex gf's studio there was $800/month a few years ago.

Your budget is pretty low. If you want to keep it that low, then I might suggest an area like Ukrainian Village. I think you might be able to find something here and there for that type of budget. River Forest is to the West and Ukrainian Villlage MAY meet the needs since it's not far from either of your jobs. It will be fairly easy for you to take train/bus to your job and it shouldn't take long to get there. Where in River Forest is the job? It's also possible to take public transit there too. It's not terribly far from there, but if you ride say the bus, it goes through one of the worst areas of Chicago...(btw a lot of the violent crime seems to be gang on gang related here and not terribly random, although that can happen just like anywhere). Driving on the 290 is better than 90/94

It may be a crap shoot finding a place. There are places that are in your budget there, but the rental market in Chicago is hot and these places may go fast.

An area like Bridgeport or Pilsen could work in that budget too, but honestly ..what are your expectations for a place? Even if you find a place, it is in no way going to be luxurious most likely.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks for responding! My reason for the low rent is that I have been reading on this board that places can be found for around 1000, but I may be misreading.

Her job is on the Westside of River Forest, right by Concordia Universtiy.

I guess what we are looking for is a bit on the older remodeled side (so older structure, but remodeled amenities) and something with easy access to PT. I get its a stretch but right now at that price, but we are saving up to pay off some debt and save for a down payment on a house, so we are kind of inflexible with rent maximum.

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Thanks for responding! My reason for the low rent is that I have been reading on this board that places can be found for around 1000, but I may be misreading.
You are partially misreading. $1000 for a 2 bedroom might be possible in some areas, but in no way is it possible in areas like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near North Side, Wicker Park, etc. That price is more for a one bedroom in Lakeview. The normal prices for a two bedroom in Lincoln Park could range anywhere on average from $1500/month up to over $2000/month. Near North Side is even more on average, and Lakeview is maybe about the same as Lincoln Park but cheaper sometimes, but not by a ton.

The areas where it would be possible that are not terribly far for a commute for both of you would be Pilsen, Bridgeport, and sometimes Ukrainian Village. Other areas maybe too that are rough-ish around the edges but it depends on your comfort levels.

Quote:
Her job is on the Westside of River Forest, right Sy Concordia Universtiy.
Yeah...well the drive from somewhere like Ukrainian Village is not hard. Probably a 5-6 mile drive on I-290 from there and then get off at Harlem Avenue.

Quote:
I guess what we are looking for is a bit on the older remodeled side (so older structure, but remodeled amenities) and something with easy access to PT. I get its a stretch but right now at that price, but we are saving up to pay off some debt and save for a down payment on a house, so we are kind of inflexible with rent maximum.
For $1100/month for a 2 bedroom, you might not have a ton of luck finding what you want with the remodeled deal. Again, you'd probably have to go to some of the more rough around the edges type of neighborhoods. Maybe not dangerous, but 25% shady sometimes...like a Douglas/Bronzeville type of deal or McKinley Park or something.

In all honesty, if you have two cars, I suggest you get rid of one unless it isn't costing you much money or you decide to live in a less walkable neighborhood. Chicago is very walkable, public transit oriented, etc. You may find that when you're in the city, you don't use the car too much other than your wife for work (and depending on where you live..groceries, but there's even ways around that).

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Oak Park, Forest Park or even Berwyn. Check 'em out.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Forest Park, right west of Oak Park might be nice. They have some plain looking (modern) apartment buildings and the rents are less expensive... Its a nice area, and at least one person out of the couple will be close to work. the other one can commute on the Blue Line CTA or the Metra. That corridor also leads out the Eisenhower to the western suburbs were its kinda pretty. I believe they would find a reasonable rent in their price range.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Going with that, yes you can look in the burbs too. However, I am a little suspicious...$1100 for a 2 bedroom in Oak Park?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 AM

Thanks for all the help!

Yea we are probably going to sell one of the cars, as you are right, walking isnt a problem in Chicago. We looked in the burbs a little but couldnt find anything in that price point unless it was way out.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Going with that, yes you can look in the burbs too. However, I am a little suspicious...$1100 for a 2 bedroom in Oak Park?
It's on the low end but definitely possible. Its a lot easier to find a 2br for under $1100 in Forest Park.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 05-08-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Since the spouse's job is on the west end of River Forest it would be smarter to look for something near the end of the Blue Line at DesPlaines Ave in Forest Park. The closest newest units to that stop are a little pricey becuase of the ease of access to the Blue Line and things like the main Forest Park recreational ball fields / park district being so close but a few blocks in the prices are often more affordable. There are establishments in Forest Park along Madison Ave well known for nightlife, certsinly not the raucous bar scene of Wrigleyville nor the extended "hookup culture" of college aged people that dominates the hot areas like Wicker Park, Bucktown, and Ukranian Village the OP specifically said spouse is not into that...

Other good options include towns like Berwyn or even Riverside where superlative BNSF service will get him to the Loop faster than CTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago