Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcramp View Post
I actually called twice yesterday and they did not answer, but I did read that they do allow it (even monthly passes) online. Thanks for the insight.

I talked to a few more of my coworkers and they said the Metra is relatively inconvenient, and it looks like I would be leaving for work at ~5am everyday, and leaving at ~4pm. They said the traffic is not that bad, and the commute would most likely be ~50 mins in the morning, and ~60-70minutes on the way back. Not too shabby... What do you think? It might open up doors for me to move to other places, as the 55 is relatively empty -- I am just worried about the freeways getting to the 55.
Driving 2+ hours a day would really suck. Taking the train for 2 hrs a day is much better, although leaving for work at 5 AM also sucks. Which train would you be taking in the AM and PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 12,062 times
One lives in River North, and the other lives in South Loop -- which is still a slight stretch if I want to live in Wicker Park, but I think I can manage South Loop/Printer's Row! I just would buy a car now, hopefully it won't be hard to find a place to live with parking!

Unfortunately, I believe I would have to be at work by ~630 am, so I could not take the Metra, as the earliest train gets in at 7:23am :/

Edit again -- The only train that goes from the city to Joliet is the Rock Island line -- the HC (Something corridor) only runs from Joliet to the city in the AM and reverse in the PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
One lives in River North, and the other lives in South Loop -- which is still a slight stretch if I want to live in Wicker Park, but I think I can manage South Loop/Printer's Row! I just would buy a car now, hopefully it won't be hard to find a place to live with parking!

Unfortunately, I believe I would have to be at work by ~630 am, so I could not take the Metra, as the earliest train gets in at 7:23am :/

Edit again -- The only train that goes from the city to Joliet is the Rock Island line -- the HC (Something corridor) only runs from Joliet to the city in the AM and reverse in the PM.
Parking is easy to find, you just have to pay for it, possibly a lot. Well, given the 630AM start time, guess you'll be driving.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Yeah if they have to be at work by 6:30am, then the roads will DEFINITELY be clear. I think though if you're on the 55 at 8am, it's probably not that bad either. A lot of the bad traffic happens on the northern end of like 90/94 and 290.

It sounds like you're dead set on Wicker Park or whatever...which is a great area, I love it, but you seem to be not too familiar with the other areas. IMO and the way you described yourself, River North would be a better fit for you ALTHOUGH I don't think Wicker Park would be bad either. I like Wicker Park a lot, but I would check out River North too for sure. I think you can get a parking space plus rent there for $2000/month.

Downside to areas like River North and South Loop is the parking costs at least a few hundred per month, whereas in Wicker Park...it may either be on the street for like $25/year or maybe a private alley parking for maybe only $100/month? Really depends. If it's street parking then in some areas it may suck to find it, other areas it might be easier and it depends on the time of day..unless you have private parking then it does not matter.

22 years old, bars, gym, meeting women...well can't go wrong with the three but I'd look into River North too for sure..plus if you think you'll be going to Wrigleyville, it's way easier to get there from River North than it is from Wicker Park. Wicker Park used to be edgy, now it's gentrified, but it kept some of its edginess in a few areas. River North now has a lot of clubs, bars, etc...some bars are more expensive types. Still neighborhood bars mixed in too. Typical hot women at these places usually as Wicker Park has that too.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-03-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM

11 posts, read 12,062 times
I actually shifted away to looking at River North/South Loop on craigslist, especially due to their proximity to the 55/other freeways. Thanks for the input! You guys all really helped a lot!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Actually the train to Joliet strikes me as a horrible option, as neither the Heritage Corridor nor Rock Island line have good schedules for a reverse commute -- slower than driving, lots of delays, no good alternative if you need to work late, bad crime at the Joliet station...

Frankly there are not even a whole lot of people at the LaSalle St station -- if it weren't for the connection to the stock exchange it would be kind of deserted for long stretches...

I would really suggest trying to drive to work from an apartment in Pilsen or maybe Bridgeport -- you would have almost direct direct access to the Stevenson and best shot at a manageable commute time and reasonable place to live. I doubt there is a single soul attemping this proposed reverse commute -- it would require spending many more hours doing a ridiculously complicated commute that would not result in any more time to enjoy Chicago / socialize...

Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I doubt there is a single soul attemping this proposed reverse commute -- it would require spending many more hours doing a ridiculously complicated commute that would not result in any more time to enjoy Chicago / socialize...
Apparently two of the OP's future coworkers drive this commute.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Carpool possible?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Drive yes, take the train???

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Does not sound like it...

Carpool is clearly the way to go.

Unless maybe the coworkers that did drive this don't anymore...

Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Does not sound like it...

Carpool is clearly the way to go.

Unless maybe the coworkers that did drive this don't anymore...
Quote:
I talked to a few more of my coworkers and they said the Metra is relatively inconvenient, and it looks like I would be leaving for work at ~5am everyday, and leaving at ~4pm. They said the traffic is not that bad, and the commute would most likely be ~50 mins in the morning, and ~60-70minutes on the way back. Not too shabby... What do you think? It might open up doors for me to move to other places, as the 55 is relatively empty -- I am just worried about the freeways getting to the 55.
[/quote]

Quote:
One lives in River North, and the other lives in South Loop

So yes, it DOES sound like two of the OP's coworkers do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago