Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

I've been here for 6 years, and I still don't get why places won't split checks up. Is this just a Chicago thing or are all big cities like this? Or is it just chains who do this? It bothers me because it's not that hard and you usually pay a premium to eat at "better" restaurants and bars in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I've been here for 6 years, and I still don't get why places won't split checks up. Is this just a Chicago thing or are all big cities like this? Or is it just chains who do this? It bothers me because it's not that hard and you usually pay a premium to eat at "better" restaurants and bars in Chicago.
Hep guys don't split checks; one pays and one gets the tip. Or if several guys everyone throws in the same amount, enough to cover the bill and a generous tip. Like if there are three guys and the bill comes to $45 each guy throws in a double saw.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
We use debit cards now, Thomas.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:12 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
HUH?

What places won't do this? I often "go dutch " when with groups of casual friends or at some work-related outing. The reason is that with IRS rules (hey it was two days ago...) everybody with a side business or some annal-retentive accounting clerks NEED to have a separate receipt ... If I go with pals or a couple that we see often we rotate outings or just throw cards into a pool and ask for the base to be split out evenly.

I have never been told it can't be done. It is of course courteous to do this BEFORE the wait staff starts taking ANY orders and it is madness to do with "groups of couples" or a HUGE party but other than that...

Hey anybody watch Portlandia -- this is how should be done: Watch Portlandia's Check-Splitting Fixer in Action - Video Interlude - Eater National

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
No walkin' around money?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
I get served separate checks when nobody at the table even enquires about it. I must reside in bizzarro world.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Using cards is akin to using condoms for sex. A real Chicagoan always carries a roll.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,407 times
I don't know. When I go to dinner with friends, we usually just get the check and pay our portions with cash. There's always some poorly organized person who doesn't have cash (kids these days...), so that throws a wrench in how this works. The only real difference between doing this and paying separately is that with separate checks, the tax is calculated for you. But I generally trust people's ability to add 10% tax to their bills. Sometimes this will require changing $20 bills to more manageable notes, but that tends to work itself out magically.

I guess most people would consider all that to be a PITA, but since we're all young and poor and none of us can afford to pick up the whole tab, this is how it works.

It's been my experience that most major cities are averse to splitting checks. Splitting checks is generally a diner or suburban mall satellite restaurant thing. I have no idea why such a phenomenon has come to be.

And yes, cash is still very much a necessity. The media in the last few years has been running loads of articles about the onslaught of a cash-less society, but I think we're a long way away from that. For as long as the current payment systems at restaurants/food stands and in taxis remain, I'm carrying a wad of cash. I use my card whenever it's convenient, but in plenty of places, it's not convenient at all.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
What sort of situations are you talking about? If you're talking about eight people asking for separate checks, then yeah - unless you ask beforehand a server won't do that. If you're talking about someone not doing separate checks for two people if you ask beforehand, then that's weird. Like others, I always carry cash if I'm going out to dinner with friends. The math skills required to split a check are pretty simple, but the individual who actually ate the meal and drank the drinks is going to have a much better memory of what they had than the server did. Also, there are some idiots out there who try to short their "friends", and I can see a server not wanting to get into the middle of that type of stupid mess.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
You should know what you ordered, and how much it costs. All this fuss over a few bucks is embarassing--you shouldn't need separate checks, anyway..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago