Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Their job in Nortfieod will require about about an hour in heavy traffic every morning and then about 90 minutes back home. If there is a Cubs game add even more time. Even leaving the office won't help much-- the way the traffic builds for the evening commute this could mean two hours of parking-lot like traffic even from 4PM....

I would recommend at least considering locations that would mean less traffic hassles. Lincoln Square or Riscoe Village both offer lots of options and would avoid much of the snarled traffic...
Oh thank you, I didn't see that part, i was just answering the question about that building

I too would find a place that would be closer coz I HATE HATE HATE commuting, so I'd go to skokie, in fact, Touhy and Kedzie has a huge apartment complex there, right across from the mall, and also anywhere around 9300 north and maybe between Cicero & Pulaski Street seem to have really pretty buildings and seems safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the solution is more centralized employment in the Loop.

The Edens isn't the biggest part of the problem... It's fighting west through city traffic to the Kennedy and getting through that damn junction. In my experience on the expressways (which I'll admit is limited), the Edens seems to be the best one.
I'd say the best one for a reverse commute is the Stevens. Edens outbound in the morning moves along, albeit slowly much of the time. Edens inbound in the afternoon is unfailingly horrible, as is every other alternative. If you want to experience the worst of Chicago traffic, trying to get into the city from the north or northwest suburbs during afternoon rush is the way to do it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the solution is more centralized employment in the Loop.

The Edens isn't the biggest part of the problem... It's fighting west through city traffic to the Kennedy and getting through that damn junction. In my experience on the expressways (which I'll admit is limited), the Edens seems to be the best one.

My friends who had a similar commute from Lake View greatly improved their commute by living in West Ridge, where they had an easier fight to the Edens, avoiding the junction. But their social life and enjoyment of the city greatly decreased living in West Ridge.
I think the whole idea of a centralized Loop everything must run through is the problem, not the solution.

Chicago has apparently designed its entire transportational infrastructure around the idea that nothing beats a bottleneck, but based on the insanity that is any L train south of say, Addison, during rush hour, the North Side at least would be hard pressed to get any more people to the Loop without an industrial strength catapult.

Growing pains notwithstanding, having more residential housing walking distance from the Loop jobs makes more sense IMO.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Of course some days the Edens will look like this:

Chicago flooding - chicagotribune.com

Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
I haven't read into all of the replies to you but here is me chirping in:

I don't think anybody has really asked what your lifestyle is like? Are you city dweller or a suburbanite? I think a 20's something transplant would much rather enjoy living in Lakeview (the neighborhood where your building is at. In fact, I walk by it often and have lived on the same street) versus moving to a more remote northern neighborhood just to be closer to work or the highway. I know the general rule of thumb is to try and live close to where you work, but Northfield isn't exactly the hubbub of town. If you decide to live in Lakeview, a possibly easier commute would likely be taking Lake Shore Drive up to Touhy and hopping on to the 94 from there - you kind of bypass all the traffic that backs up before Touhy (with a smidge around Old Orchard but it's usually clear after that pending any inclement weather).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago