Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 17,820 times

Advertisements

Hi, I recently moved to Chicago & signed a 6-month lease for an apt. in Lakeview, on Elaine Place. So, I'm now looking to move out of that apt... (RATS!) & am close to signing for an apt. in Buena Park. This new place is located on Bittersweet Rd., off inner LSD. But I still don't feel like I know the neighborhoods that well & don't get a good vibe about that general area. I've heard in general that Lakeview=nice, & Uptown=sketchy, but Buena Park seems to inspire conflicting views. The area north of there (Wilson L stop), & even south (Grace to Irving Park) seem slightly sketchy & there's a lot less people walking around than my area of Lakeview. Would I be giving up a degree of safety there? I'd really appreciate and comment or advice from residents who know the area. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
In general I would say the area you're moving into is fine. There's actually a few private schools (like the French International School) right near you. I have a few friends who live just south of there who are pretty "afraid" people, so I'd have to say based off that and based off my own personal experience, the area is fine. That's not to say there's nobody sketchy ever, but Buena Park IMO is usually fine.

You are correct about some of the other areas and them being sketchy, which I would say somewhat begins at Montrose & LSD and by the time you're at Wilson and then Lawrence it's a bit sketchier for sure.

One bar (slash restaurant) I like in that area is Holiday Club on Irving Park & Sheffield (just off the Sheridan Red Line stop) BTW.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Buena Park is fine but hemmed in by sketchy areas just to the north and west (Uptown) and a small and slightly sketchy part of North Lakeview that you described, between Grace and Irving Park. This last area is gentrifying quickly and when the huge project on Halsted and Grace is finished in about a year, it will have a much less isolated feel. See North Halsted Mega Development Under Construction in Lake View - Lake View, IL Patch. When the disgusting Hotel Chateau is either torn down or gutted - the city is requiring one or the other - the area will be much better. You'll be fine.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I lived in Buena Park for eight years. It's pretty much totally fine, with the exception of a few problem buildings on the 800 block of Cuyler and the gauntlet of bums on Broadway by the Uhaul. I actually like it better than the portion of East Lake View just south of Irving Park Road.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Buena Park is fine but hemmed in by sketchy areas just to the north and west (Uptown) ...
The western border of Buena Park is Graceland Cemetery, so nothing to worry about there. And the area just west of the cemetery is really, really nice--and actually a part of Lake View that juts out north of Irving Park Road. Many nice single-family homes with well-off owners. One of the most family-oriented areas of the North Side, actually.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The western border of Buena Park is Graceland Cemetery, so nothing to worry about there. And the area just west of the cemetery is really, really nice--and actually a part of Lake View that juts out north of Irving Park Road. Many nice single-family homes with well-off owners. One of the most family-oriented areas of the North Side, actually.
I was referring very narrowly to Buena Park as the lakefront area east of Clarendon, along Clarendon, and in the first block west of Clarendon where the streets end at Hazel. So I meant that Broadway and Sheridan to the west are a little sketchy. This may not be the "official" definition of Buena Park and I'm sure I'll be corrected.

The area west of the cemetery, officially part of Lakeview and containing Lakeview High School, is beautiful although I think of it more as part of East Ravenswood than Lakeview - it is almost entirely single family homes and doesn't have the Lakeview singles/gays vibe.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
The area west of the cemetery, officially part of Lakeview and containing Lakeview High School, is beautiful although I think of it more as part of East Ravenswood than Lakeview - it is almost entirely single family homes and doesn't have the Lakeview singles/gays vibe.
That area is really nice, but I disagree that it's mostly SFH's. I spent a lot of time there this summer helping my girlfriend scope out new apartments. We toured a lot in that area and while there aren't any mega buildings there, there are a decent number of medium sized apartment buildings. Just go to Cuyler and Southport for example. They are even intermixed in areas like Greenview & Byron...or say Belle Plaine and Southport area.

I do agree though. The area is great, and some of the single family homes there are really really great.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I was referring very narrowly to Buena Park as the lakefront area east of Clarendon, along Clarendon, and in the first block west of Clarendon where the streets end at Hazel. So I meant that Broadway and Sheridan to the west are a little sketchy. This may not be the "official" definition of Buena Park and I'm sure I'll be corrected
Yes, that is a very narrow definition of Buena Park, as the actual neighborhood is pretty small already, and Hazel only runs through the northern part of the neighborhood. The western border is the cemetery. Period.

There is nothing sketchy about western Buena Park along the cemetery. And Broadway is only a problem because of the liquor stores and foot traffic, not really anything having to do with actual residents or buildings. The 800 block of Cuyler has a few buildings owned by a notorious slumlord, and is a foothold for the Spanish Gangsta Disciples (hallowed ground for them, as it has historic significance to the formation of their gang).

Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
IIRC, that section of Lakeview north of Irving and west of Clark is known as "Graceland West".

Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That area is really nice, but I disagree that it's mostly SFH's.
You're right, I was really just thinking about the mansions on Greenview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago