Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,698,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
You can trust Chet or you can trust US News. Fact is that US News ranks every high school in the state and the top 4 schools are all in the city of Chicago.

Fact is also that Northside Prep and Walter Payton have higher ACT scores than any public high school in the suburbs including New Trier and Stevenson. Its not just "weak Illinois tests" but also the college entrance exam.

Also this does not take into account that attending a CPS magnet school your child will be exposed to a wealth of socio-economic and racial diversity that just is not going to happen in the burbs.
That's all well and fine. (and true)

The only issue is that the competition for these slots is beyond fierce and extremely limited.

Approx # of students from families able to move to burbs: 18,000
# of seats available at schools mentioned: 3,000
New CPS changes raise bar even higher for many North Side students - Chicago Tribune

So, what about the other 84% of families?
You tout the prestige of the best schools in CPS, but the number of families actually able to attend is slightly larger than a rounding error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,242,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
True for High Schools, but not for elemetary schools. There are plenty of good CPS non-magnet elementary schools.
Agreed but most people don't have an extra $40-60k to spend on putting their kids through high school and then even more to assist with college tuition. Who wants to take the chance that your kid doesn't get one of those coveted spots if you can't afford private school tuition?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,594,155 times
Remember, Chet is a real estate agent with a financial interest in driving people to his favorite ctrl-v suburbs.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,903,545 times
No. No "financial interest" is steering anyone anywhere whatsoever. Just trying my best to help folks. Honestly. I'll post my 1040 and that clearly shows I make plenty of money but not from real estate.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 PM

413 posts, read 837,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Nobody is doubting the best schools in the state aren't in CPS. It is just VERY difficult to get into those schools. Lots of applications, very few accepted.
Actually that post was written because Chet directly stated that the best schools in the city were not as good as the best schools in the burbs.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,242,974 times
Quote:
Actually that post was written because Chet directly stated that the best schools in the city were not as good as the best schools in the burbs.
Well there is a reason a Chicago magnet is going to test better than suburban schools. Suburban schools have to take every student within the district. I doubt there is any difference amongst the top schools in the best suburban districts compared to the city magnets.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM

413 posts, read 837,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
That's all well and fine. (and true)

The only issue is that the competition for these slots is beyond fierce and extremely limited.

Approx # of students from families able to move to burbs: 18,000
# of seats available at schools mentioned: 3,000
New CPS changes raise bar even higher for many North Side students - Chicago Tribune

So, what about the other 84% of families?
You tout the prestige of the best schools in CPS, but the number of families actually able to attend is slightly larger than a rounding error.
Not saying that its easy to get into one of these selective schools but I don't think that is so difficult either. I'd give a kid a better chance of getting into one of the top 4 schools than I would getting into the Ivy league. And quite frankly I don't think its all that impossible to get into an ivy league school. Difficult yes but not impossible.

A lot of this depends on who you are and what you are used to. In my eyes top 16% has never really meant much as from an academic standpoint top 5% was generally easily achievable. I don't have a kid but kind of think that if I did top 16% would probably be not all that difficult. I'm pretty sure that with all the resources my brothers kids have only finishing top 16% would be not that great. Now I do fully realize that you can't expect your kids to be able to do everything you can, but I have some expectations. Really no relative of mine has really been close to placing outside the top 10% on a standardized exam and I don't really expect that to change anytime soon, but as we enter a new generation I suppose anything is possible.

Sorry if I am rambling, but all I am really trying to say is that I don't think its so difficult to get in and I would not leave the city until the time really comes to worry about it. Personally if I had a kid my plan would be to try and get them into one of the magnet elementary schools and if that didn't work out just send them to the local elementary knowing that isn't too bad.

Since that buys me ten years I can not worry about the high school issue until then. Hopefully in ten years the schools will be much better as we have had a lot of gentrification in the city. Even if the schools are not better there is a good chance they get into a selective high school, and if that fails then I will look into moving to the burbs or attending private school.

My overall point is that for most reading this discussion the real problems are not going to arise for another 6-10 years. I would rather just live where I want to now and deal with the problem when and if it comes, then make life sacrifices to avoid something that may never even be an issue.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,903,545 times
Default Good luck kid!

Check back with me after the pension funding crisis decimates more of the whole system...

The Myth of American Meritocracy | How corrupt are Ivy League admissions?

Quote:
Not saying that its easy to get into one of these selective schools but I don't think that is so difficult either. I'd give a kid a better chance of getting into one of the top 4 schools than I would getting into the Ivy league. And quite frankly I don't think its all that impossible to get into an ivy league school. Difficult yes but not impossible.

A lot of this depends on who you are and what you are used to. In my eyes top 16% has never really meant much as from an academic standpoint top 5% was generally easily achievable. I don't have a kid but kind of think that if I did top 16% would probably be not all that difficult. I'm pretty sure that with all the resources my brothers kids have only finishing top 16% would be not that great. Now I do fully realize that you can't expect your kids to be able to do everything you can, but I have some expectations. Really no relative of mine has really been close to placing outside the top 10% on a standardized exam and I don't really expect that to change anytime soon, but as we enter a new generation I suppose anything is possible.

Sorry if I am rambling, but all I am really trying to say is that I don't think its so difficult to get in and I would not leave the city until the time really comes to worry about it. Personally if I had a kid my plan would be to try and get them into one of the magnet elementary schools and if that didn't work out just send them to the local elementary knowing that isn't too bad.

Since that buys me ten years I can not worry about the high school issue until then. Hopefully in ten years the schools will be much better as we have had a lot of gentrification in the city. Even if the schools are not better there is a good chance they get into a selective high school, and if that fails then I will look into moving to the burbs or attending private school.

My overall point is that for most reading this discussion the real problems are not going to arise for another 6-10 years. I would rather just live where I want to now and deal with the problem when and if it comes, then make life sacrifices to avoid something that may never even be an issue.

Last edited by chet everett; 03-15-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM

14,796 posts, read 17,843,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Check back with me after the pension funding crisis decimates more of the whole system...
I know, the suburbs are ****ed.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM

486 posts, read 869,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Simple fact is that 4br housing wasn't all that common until the last 15-20 years. It was 3 bd houses in the 60's and 70's, and before that, 2bd was common. What's the average age of the housing stock you're looking at?

Unless you find something with newer construction or take on the modifications yourself, you'll have to look to more recent developments.
Veering off a bit but I am curious why (not only the OP) so many home buyers who have no children or
one child need a 2000 sq. ft. home. Unless, they plan to have several kids. This bigger is better
(like the above quote) has been a trend for 20 years. Geez, even though we were able to afford
a large home, who wants to take care of all that space (not including the basement)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago