Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It just may be time for me to move...
Quote:
These people are 'zombies'. They are spiritually dead men walking.
Quote:
This stuff is starting to get to me. I'm too close to it all.
Quote:
...I've had plenty of first hand experiences with these people... They will murder or assault you without hesitation. They will destroy your property.
Quote:
... I'm just a guy who makes 10 times his mortgage payment every month. I'm very comfortable where I am...
CSS, let me start by saying, I'm not in any position to pass judgement on anyone. But, just out of curiosity, I wonder how a professional salesman, for one of the largest companies in the country, who makes 10 times his mortgage payment, can be comfortable in Woodlawn. In other words, what do you enjoy about Woodlawn? Because, based on your previous posts, it's obviously not the people. And, please, don't be offended. I'm just trying to understand your position, brotha. That's all it is. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
" I don't feel alone at all. Perhaps it's different in areas like the North Shore"

Duh......

Have you been following the conversation? You answered your own question in one sentence: "she has financial resources and flexible work hours though. Like my mother who was/is a white collar professional with her own private practice"
These are the women we're talking about here. My wife's Dad died when she was 4 and she turned out great but she also grew up in a small town in WI.
Well, I grew up in Po Fo.. I'm a product of multiple worlds. There were plenty of "wrong crowds" I could have fallen into at Rich East high school. There was a gang problem but nothing compared to much of CPS. But I was raised right at the home level. Also, being white worked to my advantage because many of those "wrong crowds" are less likely to accept a whiteboy, anyway.

Last edited by urza216; 03-27-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
You're an idiot. Every situation is different, and it depends on the woman. For instance, my nephew, who was raised by my sister (god rest her soul), grew up in one of those single-parent households [headed by a woman] that you're talking about. And, watch this, not only did he graduate from high school, but was a 4.0 student who went on to attend the University of Michigan on a full academic scholarship. Oh, by the way, he's currently studying for his masters degree. And, no, my sister wasn't a "professional". She got a job working at the Chicago Post Office at the age of 18, and worked there until the day she died, at age 53. I'm talking about a woman who grew up in Englewood (69th and Union), and raised her son in Harvey (yeah, that's Illinois if you didn't know). So, you and all these other fools who want to make excuses need to wake up, because the only real obstacle you need to overcome, is yourself.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. ~ Arthur Ash

Congrats to your sister and nephew. However, I would say that outcome is the exception, not the rule. All you have to do is look in Cook County jail to see that the vast majority of inmates come from single parent households with no father figure (and certainly no husband) where the mom was uneducated, probably unemployed, and likely had children at a young age.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
CSS, let me start by saying, I'm not in any position to pass judgement on anyone. But, just out of curiosity, I wonder how a professional salesman, for one of the largest companies in the country, who makes 10 times his mortgage payment, can be comfortable in Woodlawn. In other words, what do you enjoy about Woodlawn? Because, based on your previous posts, it's obviously not the people. And, please, don't be offended. I'm just trying to understand your position, brotha. That's all it is. God bless.
To be honest, there's really not that much that I like about Woodlawn. I live across the street from the UofC so it's fairly quiet on my block. It's very cheap to live here and pretty close to the lakefront. Hyde Park is a few blocks to the north and I have good access to expressways, transit and LSD. That's about it. There is nothing in the way of retail or entertainment, unless you count the occassional confrontation with the 'locals'.

I think I'm suffering from a little apathy these days. I just don't care enough to move at this point. Would I really be happier if I lived in a nicer neighborhod? Maybe and maybe not but I am strongly considering moving in the very near future. We'll see what hapens.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 PM

577 posts, read 669,608 times
Quote:
To be honest, there's really not that much that I like about Woodlawn. I live across the street from the UofC so it's fairly quiet on my block. It's very cheap to live here and pretty close to the lakefront. Hyde Park is a few blocks to the north and I have good access to expressways, transit and LSD. .
You might enjoy the area more if you're not high on hallucinogens all the time.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
LSD = Lake Shore Drive

Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM

577 posts, read 669,608 times
Erm, yeah, it was a joke.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Erm, yeah, it was a joke.
Good, lol

Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
lol, yeah, right.

i'd say the vast majority of kids have a better chance with a mom as a single parent rather than a dad.
uhhh....who are you arguing with? i don't remember anyone making an argument that dads make better single parents.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
I don't believe the LSD you're talking about is available in Woodlawn. I'm sure you can find it in various north side neighborhoods though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago