Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM

14 posts, read 27,497 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Im looking into moving to the city asap and I was looking for some guidance seeing at this will be my first time in an urban setting. I am from the suburbs. I understand that safe to one person isnt safe to another and that there will be crime in every part of the city.

I am looking for something that will be safe that I can sleep easy not having to worry that my car will get broken into/stolen (obviously wont have valuables sitting out). I also will be traveling on public transportation to get to the loop as well as to my other jobs. (Blue line is a preferable route) I also have a dog that I would like to take out after dark where I will not have to worry as much.

Currently I am looking at a few locations: (price range is at about 1700 for a 3br)

1) Bucktown (Paulina and Bloomingdale)

2) West Lakeview (Belmont and Ashland)

3) Albany Park (Kedzie and Carmen)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
1700 for a 3 bedroom is kind of very low for Bucktown and even West Lakeview. On average even in Lakeview, the average price for a 3 bedroom is over $2000/month. You could probably get it in Albany Park though, maybe..

I would suggest Irving Park/Old Irving Park. I'm pretty sure you can get it. My friend lived in a 3 bedroom there for $1500/month and it's a pretty safe area. It's on the blue line too. Even an area like Jefferson Park which is even safer you might be able to find what you want out there. Also on the Blue Line. It really depends on what you want out of a neighborhood. These areas are all pretty safe but of course, anything can happen anywhere in Chicago, technically. Just the odds in one place to another will obviously vary.

Your budget is rather low though for Bucktown and West Lakeview but there MIGHT be just a few places available if you know where to look.

If those 3 places you mentioned are legit places you found, then it depends on what you want in a neighborhood. Personally I would go with 2, then 1, then 3. But that's me and it has a lot to do with public transit too. If you need to use the blue line, then #1 is your best bet.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Yes these are all places I have found in my budget. Blue line isnt a must but ease of public trans is best (dont want to take 1 bus to another bus to a train etc)

Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDwight View Post
Yes these are all places I have found in my budget. Blue line isnt a must but ease of public trans is best (dont want to take 1 bus to another bus to a train etc)
AH, you're lucky to find these for that budget. If public transit is most important, I'd say the one in West Lakeview is the best bet. It's not RIGHT next to a train stop, but it's about a quarter mile to the nearest train stop (2 blocks). In the city of course that walk will go by fast. Lot of food, bars, and what not in that area too.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
A note on street-parked cars, don't leave *anything* visible. My window got smashed Christmas Eve a couple years back for a Bears Snuggie (gift!).

Lakeview or Bucktown would be my preference. Bucktown is nice because of the blue line access as the brown line from Lakeview is pretty slow. That said it's just a personal preference but I'd generally prefer Lakeview since I don't hang out on the west side much.

Albany Park will give you a nice bang for your buck, and will be the safest, but that brown line commute might take a while.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post

Albany Park will give you a nice bang for your buck, and will be the safest, but that brown line commute might take a while.
Albany Park the safest?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Albany Park the safest?
I second this. I highly doubt its the safest. I am under the impressions its actually the least safe.

I used to live just south of Bucktown in Wicker park and I street parked my vehicle. There were less break ins there than anywhere else I have lived in the city. My current place in Lincoln Park has more break ins. I think you would like Bucktown the most since it seems to have the walkable area out of any of the three. It also has excellent bars and restaurants all located along the blue line. Bucktown is my vote.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Whats everyones feelings on Portage Park too?

North of Belmont - East of Cicero - South of Addison

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
1) If the Blue Line is your preferred route since you'll need access to the airport, Bucktown is the only one of the listed options that makes sense.

2) If you want your car to be safe from break-ins/theft, you'll need to pony up about $100 to $150/mo to rent a spot in a locked garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDwight View Post
Whats everyones feelings on Portage Park too?

North of Belmont - East of Cicero - South of Addison
Snoozerville. Fluency in both Spanish and Polish a plus.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
2) If you want your car to be safe from break-ins/theft, you'll need to pony up about $100 to $150/mo to rent a spot in a locked garage.
Disagree. Street parking is for the most part perfectly safe in bucktown. The one issue you may have is bumper dings from crappy parallel parkers. Obviously the only way to be 99% certain nothing will happen is a private, locked garage. Which would be an unrealistic expectation in the city. If you follow the general don't leave anything out in the open and make sure to lock your car, you should be safe with street parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago