Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM

35 posts, read 117,906 times

Advertisements

Going to Chicago this summer for a few days and am looking at staying at the Parthenon Hostel in Greektown. Is that a safe area? If you know about the hostel, does it seem an okay place to stay?
Know of any other places either near the Loop or with good public transit access to the Loop that are not too expensive? This would be for an adult and a teenager. I checked the other hostel downtown and it is booked for the dates (early June) that we will be there.
I checked some places out near O'Hare but they were still over $120 a night. Seems like there were places somewhat near the airport that were $60+ but we may be spending a lot of time just hiking to the L to take it downtown.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM

240 posts, read 464,766 times
Wow, I had no idea there was a hostel there but the online reviews seem pretty favorable. The neighborhood is very safe. There are some bums, but I wouldn't be worried. I like two blocks from there and go there all the time. It's always lively, especially on the weekends. Plus you're a block away from the Blue Line which will take you directly to downtown and some of the best neighborhoods in the city. Have fun and let us know how your visit went!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,447 times
Someone posted about that Hostel last Fall..remembering good reviews ... You'll be fine in Greektown .. busy good street activity well into the night , and, as of late , increased Police and Off-Duties hired by the business owners to keep some of the rowdiness in check and chase some idiots out that had been frequenting the 24 hour Gyro places at the south end ( jackson and Halsted ) . Good central location..I imagine it's pretty popular, so hope you can get a reservation for your stay .

Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyxavier View Post
Going to Chicago this summer for a few days and am looking at staying at the Parthenon Hostel in Greektown. Is that a safe area? If you know about the hostel, does it seem an okay place to stay?
Know of any other places either near the Loop or with good public transit access to the Loop that are not too expensive? This would be for an adult and a teenager. I checked the other hostel downtown and it is booked for the dates (early June) that we will be there.
I checked some places out near O'Hare but they were still over $120 a night. Seems like there were places somewhat near the airport that were $60+ but we may be spending a lot of time just hiking to the L to take it downtown.

Thanks.
Early June is one of the most expensive times of the year to visit Chicago because of major conferences that happen then, including NeoCon (a design conference, not a political event) at the Merchandise Mart that spikes most downtown hotel rates to close to $300/night that week.

You may want to look into Airbnb listings, you may find some good deals, and if you choose one with at least 10-20 reviews, all of which are good, you are almost certain to have a good experience as long as you read the description and understand what the setup is.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,550 times
Try airbnb

Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Wow, I had no idea there was a hostel there but the online reviews seem pretty favorable. The neighborhood is very safe. There are some bums, but I wouldn't be worried. I like two blocks from there and go there all the time. It's always lively, especially on the weekends. Plus you're a block away from the Blue Line which will take you directly to downtown and some of the best neighborhoods in the city. Have fun and let us know how your visit went!
Thanks for the information. I will let you know how it went.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM

There is a high profile gang of baklava thieves in the area but beyond that it is fairly safe assuming you stay clear of combusting saganaki.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There is a high profile gang of baklava thieves in the area but beyond that it is fairly safe assuming you stay clear of combusting saganaki.
ouzo burns easily too

Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM

That is the other major crime problem in the area, which I believe the mayor and the police chief are working out on how to deal with now.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Stayed 3 nights at the Parthenon and it was fine. Felt safe all the time. Close to the Blue line and not that far to walk to Union Station, Willis Tower, etc.
Thanks for the info. Had a great time in Chicago and hope to return soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago