Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 17,772 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I was wondering what the area is like in Albany Park near Ainslie and North Central? Looking at a place in the area and wanted to see what its like in terms of safety at night/day. As well as parking (cars on streets and such). As far as walking to a main street to catch a cab - is this area usually littered with cabs or is it best to always call?

Also does anyone know if this area requires permit parking?

About us:
2 white females 22/23
1 white male 25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
North central?
do you mean central park?

I don't remember that exact street if permit is necessary. I believe not.

In the daytime it's fine. Night time you can have some sketchiness. Vandalism. Some hooligans being loudmouths etc.

It's not littered with cabs, but they aren't uncommon.

You probably already know the demographics I assume.

Used to live there. I don't think you should have problems.
In any city, just be aware there's always a chance of something happening.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM

yes central park - i was sidetracked when mentioning that

Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
I live a few blocks west near Argyle and Pulaski. Ainslie/Central Park is near a gang boundary (east of Monticello is the Spanish Gangsta Disciples; west of Monticello is Spanish Cobras) so you see some occasional late night activity but it's generally limited to tagging on some buildings on Ainslie near Monticello. Fine during the day and usually fine during the evening, but if you're walking from the Brown Line at night it's probably smarter in general to stay on Lawrence.

If you know you are definitely going to need a cab, especially on the weekends or late at night, I would phone for one. They're not as plentiful as in other areas of the city.

I would avoid parking on Central Park unless I had to; it gets a lot of cut-through traffic and it's two-way, so chances of getting dinged are pretty good. Ainslie doesn't have permit parking IIRC but I could be mistaken.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM

im now looking at a place further east at Troy and Carmen - how would you recommend this area?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Lots of Hispanic gangs over there. Generally they don't bother non gang people but they spray lots of graffitti. OK in the day but be careful after dark.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP465 View Post
im now looking at a place further east at Troy and Carmen - how would you recommend this area?
It's OK (lots of North Park students), but south of Argyle on Troy and Albany there's still plenty of gang activity.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
It's OK (lots of North Park students), but south of Argyle on Troy and Albany there's still plenty of gang activity.
That is true but I think that area is turfed to the Latin Kings. The LKs are a more established and older gang with a stable older hierarchy that doesn't like too much "attention" from the media or the cops so the members of that organization generally do not bother civilians or engage in acts against non gang members. They largely deal drugs and, if they do kill somebody, it is almost always another gang member who really violated them. They do not generally kill rival gang members just for walking through their turf or people for wearing the wrong colors. But if they catch them "doing business" or tagging, they will kill them. So you would not likely ever be bothered by the LKs.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:15 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Carmen and troy is good.
That was my block.
You have the river and park right there.

Lots of those apartments on Carmen itself are associated with the schools.

And yeah there's lks.
A couple have been killed on troy the past few years. But all gang members.

There's a camera there anyway

Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM

i guess thats a little nicer knowing that - ive been looking at ClearMap and spotcrime and really havent liked what ive seen - i did stop by and talk to two workers by the garage (i assume NPU facility workers) and they said the area wasnt too bad

they did suggest i walk back around down carmen to kedzie to get to the brown line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: