Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times

Advertisements

And yet here are what. 2 gyms in the loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
On the contrary, I am surprised in downtown there aren't more!
They take up a lot of space, and "a lot of space" costs big money down there.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
And yet here are what. 2 gyms in the loop?
I can think of 4 gyms in the loop, so there's more than 2. But, they are all quite expensive. The only one that is not crazy is the Women's Workout World, but from touring that place it just seemed like a hassle all around.

I wish there were more gyms in the loop. If there was a place that was $40 to $75 a month that included a locker that you could store things in overnight I would be there in a heartbeat. I pay like $80/month for the Metropolitan Club and it is only worth it because they provide workout clothes and just about all the toiletries you need, so I don't have to bring a bunch of stuff with me to go there. I'd prefer to have a locker to just store things in and use my own stuff, but every place I have checked in the loop that option is simply not affordable.

My office has a gym that is cheap but it doesn't even have towel service. So, if I use it I am carting damp towels around all the time and that just got really old.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Every office building I've worked at downtown have all had gyms in them for employees of the buildings. I think that's quite common, and might explain why there aren't as many as you'd think. It's mostly the Class A buildings where it's expected you have a gym.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Every office building I've worked at downtown have all had gyms in them for employees of the buildings. I think that's quite common, and might explain why there aren't as many as you'd think. It's mostly the Class A buildings where it's expected you have a gym.
That's true. My building has a gym as do most large office buildings. The thing is really do employees use it though so I think there is a marekt for full fledged gyms in the Loop. I mean I am at work all day, not really interesting in seeing my coworkers working out at the office gym but that's just me.

Also the convenience factor. I have a membership at X-Sport and if there was one in downtown near me, I would upgrade to use it. It's inconvenient to just have your gym located in the Loop. Because if you want to workout on the weekend or on a day off, you have to go to downtown. At the same time if you are only at a neighborhood gym then you can't work out in downtown, except for the few chains that do exist.

What about Block 37? I am sure a nice gym would fit perfectly on the floors facing west that are currently empty. It would certainly bring more life to the building for sure!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I can think of 4 gyms in the loop, so there's more than 2. But, they are all quite expensive. The only one that is not crazy is the Women's Workout World, but from touring that place it just seemed like a hassle all around.

I wish there were more gyms in the loop. If there was a place that was $40 to $75 a month that included a locker that you could store things in overnight I would be there in a heartbeat. I pay like $80/month for the Metropolitan Club and it is only worth it because they provide workout clothes and just about all the toiletries you need, so I don't have to bring a bunch of stuff with me to go there. I'd prefer to have a locker to just store things in and use my own stuff, but every place I have checked in the loop that option is simply not affordable.

My office has a gym that is cheap but it doesn't even have towel service. So, if I use it I am carting damp towels around all the time and that just got really old.
Equinox and what, LA Fitness? I know there are other "clubs" or whatever. But I meant for the common man

Also, can anyone join the Metropolitan gym? Sort of pricey but it's very close to my work.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Equinox and what, LA Fitness? I know there are other "clubs" or whatever. But I meant for the common man

Also, can anyone join the Metropolitan gym? Sort of pricey but it's very close to my work.
There's a fitness formula club at Union Station and then the Women's Workout World that's on either Monroe or Adams. There used to be that World Gym on the river, too, but I'm pretty sure it is closed now (which is not surprising as it was completely disgusting).

The stakes to join the Metropolitan Club are not that high. All it took for me to join was knowing someone that was a member. I've come and gone from it a few times since I originally joined and there's no red tape now. I am pretty sure anyone could call and join at this point because the fitness membership isn't the same as the social club membership. I have no idea what's going on with the social club part at all (never been up there).

Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
Quote:
There's a fitness formula club at Union Station and then the Women's Workout World that's on either Monroe or Adams. There used to be that World Gym on the river, too, but I'm pretty sure it is closed now (which is not surprising as it was completely disgusting).

The stakes to join the Metropolitan Club are not that high. All it took for me to join was knowing someone that was a member. I've come and gone from it a few times since I originally joined and there's no red tape now. I am pretty sure anyone could call and join at this point because the fitness membership isn't the same as the social club membership. I have no idea what's going on with the social club part at all (never been up there).
Lol, I had a feeling from what I've seen...

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashplowe View Post
oh man...gyms in DC are so expensive in comparison. My gym is $75/mo... :-X A $40 membership sounds sooo nice right now...
How big/nice are the gyms in DC? Are they little/medium sized ones or big ones. If they are big, real nice ones, then $75/mo is not bad at all.

I have been a little spoiled by athletic clubs, which I hate now to be honest. Where I grew up in Minnesota, the athletic club I went to is oddly considered one of the best in the world service wise, and one of the best flat out in the US. It's privately owned by some very, very rich people and is how this happens. I always laugh when East Bank Club claims their club is unparalleled in size at 450,000 sq feet. The club I'm mentioning above is around 300,000-350,000 square feet of inside space and that's not counting the outdoor tennis courts, pool and area with water slide, outdoor basketball courts, outdoor golf greens, and outdoor volleyball courts. All in all it's around the same size as EBC and just as nice if not nicer.

The place right now is only $75/month for an individual. Ridiculous. EBC in Chicago is probably the best overall club, but you pay a hefty price of $180/month for individual. With the real estate costs though it makes sense.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Yeah World Gym closed last year. FCC is what I have been looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago