Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM

192 posts, read 324,556 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how the entry level job market is currently looking in Chicago(city only), for recent college graduates?

I have a BA in geography, but am open to anything that is entry level and does not care what the BA is in. I have looked at the job ads on places like Indeed and CL, and have not really came across many openings. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places, or perhaps the entry level job market is still pretty bad, but I was hoping maybe some of you who live there will have a better idea on the status of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
I'm happy someone made this thread, I'm in the same boat!

I've been applying to positions in Health IT and it seems pretty tough to break into. I'm also looking to move from Texas so I think that makes it a little harder for me. But anyway...I look forward to hearing what some of you residents may say on the situation.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,875,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
I am wondering how the entry level job market is currently looking in Chicago(city only), for recent college graduates?

I have a BA in geography, but am open to anything that is entry level and does not care what the BA is in. I have looked at the job ads on places like Indeed and CL, and have not really came across many openings. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places, or perhaps the entry level job market is still pretty bad, but I was hoping maybe some of you who live there will have a better idea on the status of it?
In Chicago, it is not what you know but who you know. Unless you have a built in network here (meanning you live here or graduated from college here), you are going to have to network with people to discover most opportunities here. Lots of jobs here are filled by "somebody that sent somebody that somebody else knows".

Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,875,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selboN View Post
I'm happy someone made this thread, I'm in the same boat!

I've been applying to positions in Health IT and it seems pretty tough to break into. I'm also looking to move from Texas so I think that makes it a little harder for me. But anyway...I look forward to hearing what some of you residents may say on the situation.
I work in IT/AV and for the Chicago Public Schools. Sometimes we have openings and other school districts around the area openings. Don't limit yourself to just the city. 1/2 the metro population does not live in the city.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,922,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
In Chicago, it is not what you know but who you know. Unless you have a built in network here (meanning you live here or graduated from college here), you are going to have to network with people to discover most opportunities here. Lots of jobs here are filled by "somebody that sent somebody that somebody else knows".
Largely true. The saying "we don't want nobody nobody sent," originally applied to politics. But who can you use as a reference if you don't know anyone around here?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM

483 posts, read 843,035 times
Quote:
Don't limit yourself to just the city. 1/2 the metro population does not live in the city.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,960,439 times
Quote:
(Aside from political jobs) is this really any more true in Chicago than anywhere else?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,707,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
(Aside from political jobs) is this really any more true in Chicago than anywhere else?
Highly unlikely.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,179,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Highly unlikely.
My very first job in Chicago I got through a cousin.

Second job I got by basically sending out resumes.

Other than that first job, only one job I've gotten through knowing someone - every other one was either through a recruiter or by directly contacting places.

For new grads, hopefully your school's career office has some contacts in Chicago - alumni, places that have hired from the school in the past. If not, there are job fairs in Chicago that focus on new grads. You could also check the career services websites for schools in the Chicago area and look for public listings of open houses they have with prospective employers and crash some of those that look interesting. The company I work for has done campus recruiting and the events we had got published on the school's publicly viewable website. I never saw resumes from anyone not at that school, but it certainly would have been possible for an ambitious student/recent grad from some other school to see we were coming and drop by.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM

192 posts, read 324,556 times
Quote:
Don't limit yourself to just the city. 1/2 the metro population does not live in the city.
I would not, except that I plan on moving to Chicago car free, and plan on only using CTA to get around. That limits me to only jobs in the city reachable by it.

Does anyone know of any good temp agencies in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: