Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I'd say more of an Appalachian vibe, actually. I'd lump it in more with Cincinnati. More of a backwoods feel than the more historically cosmopolitan feel of the Mississippi River cities, IMO.

Since when is Cincinnati more backwoods than the "historically cosmopolitan" feel of the Mississippi River cities??

Do you know that Cincinnati was once the 5th largest city in the country, had the first baseball team, one of the oldest symphonies/art museums, etc. and has neighborhoods that structurally look closer to old NYC neighborhoods than anywhere else west of Appalachians.

While Cincinnati may have a large urban Appalachian population, it probably still has more in common with Milwaukee with its German heritage. It has the countries largest Oktoberfest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Since when is Cincinnati more backwoods than the "historically cosmopolitan" feel of the Mississippi River cities??

Do you know that Cincinnati was once the 5th largest city in the country, had the first baseball team, one of the oldest symphonies/art museums, etc. and has neighborhoods that structurally look closer to old NYC neighborhoods than anywhere else west of Appalachians.

While Cincinnati may have a large urban Appalachian population, it probably still has more in common with Milwaukee with its German heritage. It has the countries largest Oktoberfest.
Sorry, I didn't mean backwoods in a derogatory way, though I realize now that it looks that way. I probably should have stuck with Appalachian. It has nothing to do with the size of the city or its sports teams, by the way. I was just stating how it feels to me. It's okay if it feels different than that to you.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
As a Chicagoan living in the South, I feel quite comfortable in telling the OP as have others, that there is NO city in the South that compares to Chicago!!!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I'd say more of an Appalachian vibe, actually. I'd lump it in more with Cincinnati. More of a backwoods feel than the more historically cosmopolitan feel of the Mississippi River cities, IMO.
Appalachian? Sorry, but you are just dead wrong here. If you have been to Louisville, it hasn't been in awhile Also, your choice of the word Appalachia is just way off both geographically and culturally. Maybe you can apply that word to Lexington, a smaller city to east, but that is even a stretch. Cincinnati Appalachian? Post that on the Ohio boards and see what they say

And how is Memphis cosmopolitan compared to Louisville? Note that Louisville is actually bigger than NOLA (although we know NOLA packs probably the most vibrancy and nightlife of any city its size in the US)...

41 Memphis, TN-MS-AR MSA 1,325,605 1,316,100 +0.72%
42 Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA 1,294,849 1,283,566 +0.88% Louisville/Jefferson County–Elizabethtown–Scottsburg, KY-IN CSA
43 Oklahoma City, OK MSA 1,278,053 1,252,987 +2.00% Oklahoma City-Shawnee, OK CSA
44 Richmond, VA MSA 1,269,380 1,258,251 +0.88%
45 Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT MSA 1,213,255 1,212,381 +0.07% Hartford-West Hartford-Willimantic, CT CSA
46 New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA MSA 1,191,089 1,167,764 +2.00% N

Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:

The same for Louisville...Irish and German heritage, it was the 10th or 12th largest city. It had one of the original pro baseball teams in the national league, just like Cincy.

Take a quick, ten second look at some of the city's urban nabes. Do they look, feel or sound, Appalachian?

Discover | New2Lou

I am starting to think that Cincinnati and Louisville are the two most misunderstood cities in the US. I think you can thrown Detroit and STL in the mix for being misunderstood.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM

38 posts, read 91,736 times
Quote:
I know. I Actually like big Southern cities, and there are certian things that I actually like about them even more than Chicago most notably natural forested parks/neighborhoods right in the middle of the action of the urban core (Piedmont Park, Atlanta, Memorial Park, Houston (Chicagoland only has natural forest in the suburbs) as well as a larger classy/affluent minority population (more options for neighborhoods that are both nice/safe AND diverse).

But when people think that Southern cities are safer and have less crime than Chicago, I'm like huh?? If anything crime problems are more widespread in southern cities than in Chicago. Its not did they NOT do any research on Memphis, New Orleans, even Atlanta, etc? And while they may have southern cooking in many places, the cities are just that . . . cities. Its not some 21st century version of gone with the wind. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, are just southern versions of cosmopolitan cities.
Yup. Cities are cities no matter where they are. As an african american from up north the OP needs to understand that there are still remnants of the old south that are part of the culture in the new south.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
There is no southern Chicago. St. Louis is a big city version of a small town but not southern by any stretch. Atlanta is too too suburban but has a lot of stuff due to its metro size. Nashville and Charlotte are nice but not urban at all and just too small. Louisville is about the only city that is southern with a touch of urban flavor. Actually feels like a smaller St. Louis to me.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
Yup. Cities are cities no matter where they are. As an african american from up north the OP needs to understand that there are still remnants of the old south that are part of the culture in the new south.
There are remnants of old south in Midwest too. Look at the segregation index of Chicago and how it effects the mentality of people who "never get off the block". The south has its fair share of "stuff" and so does the north or Midwest.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The same for Louisville...Irish and German heritage, it was the 10th or 12th largest city. It had one of the original pro baseball teams in the national league, just like Cincy.

Take a quick, ten second look at some of the city's urban nabes. Do they look, feel or sound, Appalachian?

Discover | New2Lou

I am starting to think that Cincinnati and Louisville are the two most misunderstood cities in the US. I think you can thrown Detroit and STL in the mix for being misunderstood.
Cincinnati is an extremely white collar city...

The biggest employers in the City are..

Proctor and Gamble with about 37k
University of Cincinnati 15k..
University Hospital 24k
General Electric Aircraft Engines over 10k engineers, It's where GE does all engine design and testing.
Kroger Company
U.S Headquarters for several fortune 500's..
Plus several Banks and Great American Insurance.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

Discover | New2Lou

I don't think anyone is denying the German origin of Cincinnati, but you are way off the mark in terms of Appalachian influence. As a percentage of its population, it drew more from Appalachia than any other major city in the country. It is home to the UAC, which notes that 1 in 4 Cincinnatians have roots in Appalachia About Urban Appalchians in Cincinnati | Urban Appalachian Council

One of those German sounding neighborhoods (OTR was majority Appalachian until the early 80s). A lot of the city still is: http://socialareasofcincinnati.org/r...es/Figure6.gif Cincy is also home to the largest festival in the country celebrating Appalachian culture. Put it all together and ask yourself, "How is that not an identifiable influence?"

This is not an insignificant influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago