Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 AM

389 posts, read 920,911 times

Advertisements

I'm super bored and need to take a break early next year.
Probably mid January. I plan to take trip alone.

I'm thinking of these options:

London-Paris - bc my aunt lives in London and can stay some days free of hotel charges. I avoid motels if possie. Please no hostels. I like historical sites and musems. However it may be cold and wet, gray but should be warmer than Chicago. From London I'd take Eurostar to Paris. If be there for 10 or 11 days.

Cancun- 7 days, sun, warm beaches water, party life at night. I'd go to Mayan ruins at chechen and do bunch of other adventure activities. I could take either bus tur if its frequent enough or rent a car. It's cheap. But might be little uncomfortable outside hotel zone not knowing spanish.

Hawaii- 7 days beautiful islands, nice scenery, sightseeing, u stay in the US, no dealing with passport control, customs or language barrier. But this season it may be wet, it would be more expensive than Europe or mx. There is also probably not as much party scene as in Europe or cancun. I dunno about museums, historical sites. I'm sure they are there but I feel HI is more about relaxing in quiet scenic landscape. Ideal for couple but for solo travelers?

Other options: carribean islands, miami, L.A. ( been to Cali 2x already in sf, SD and enjoyed it but my friends might go to LA in may and I will probably join them), Austin, TX, Denver or Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Vegas is cheap and warm, good for singles, guys /gals weekend out, couples, whatever. Last time I checked it was the number one destination for Chicago area travelers...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Vegas followed by Mexico

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I go to the Caribbean (though I'm going to Hawaii soon instead). You can get relatively cheap airfare through American Airlines to various parts of the Caribbean/Costa Rica.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I'm thinking of these options:

London-Paris - bc my aunt lives in London and can stay some days free of hotel charges. I avoid motels if possie. Please no hostels. I like historical sites and museums. However it may be cold and wet, gray but should be warmer than Chicago. From London I'd take Eurostar to Paris. If be there for 10 or 11 days.
London in winter is not a vacation, it's a prison sentence. Hell, London during summer is liable to be chilly, let alone during the winter. I noticed a few days during Wimbledon and the Summer Olympics, and the spectators were wearing jackets/coats during some events.

Why go from miserable Chicago to miserable London? Don't do it. Go someplace that will improve your mood.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
London in winter is not a vacation, it's a prison sentence. Hell, London during summer is liable to be chilly, let alone during the winter. I noticed a few days during Wimbledon and the Summer Olympics, and the spectators were wearing jackets/coats during some events.

Why go from miserable Chicago to miserable London? Don't do it. Go someplace that will improve your mood.
Exactly. London is just as miserable if not worse. Less sun too. If you are going to go to Europe for winter, then go somewhere warm or temperate like Spain, Italy, Southern France, Greece, or the Turkish Riviera.

If you want to go somewhere cheaper, then go to Florida, South Carolina's coast, Texas, Los Angeles, San Diego. There are always great deals going to the Caribbean too including Mexico and Costa Rica from Chicago.

Personally I recommend the Virgin Islands. There's the US Virgin Islands the British Virgin Islands. Scenery wise, there's not much
difference. The US ones are a little more liberal, more drinking perhaps, but I prefer the British Virgin Islands. Real easy to get into. Just show up with your passport. Some of the most protected waters on earth, amazing diving and great snorkling in places. Everywhere you go is white sand beaches. Nicest people I've met anywhere in the world. It's less touristy and more expensive perhaps (depends on where you go). Definitely more European and African influenced than other places like a lot of the Bahamas. The airfare there used to be expensive, but last I saw, American Airlines was really pushing it and lowered prices. Not sure if it's still there. US Virgin Islands can be cheaper to fly to. If you want to go to the British side too, they have ferries for like $50. We met a couple from Los Angeles who goes every year and just fly into USVI and ferry it over because it's cheaper. It might not be an issue anymore though.

Easily the most realaxing place I've ever been in the world.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-26-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Funny--I go to Chicago, and sometimes I take in Madison, WI while I'm "in the neighborhood"...

NYC is always good for a weekend, and LA is great any time of the year...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM

266 posts, read 402,805 times
So why does it matter where most Chicagoans go? Lol. Anyway, I think you'd be crazy not to go for Europe. Especially being that you are a history buff. And you can save some money. Those hotels kill ya!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
So why does it matter where most Chicagoans go? Lol. Anyway, I think you'd be crazy not to go for Europe. Especially being that you are a history buff. And you can save some money. Those hotels kill ya!
Good advice, I agree.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I go to Wisconsin, but somehow I suspect that's not the recommendation you're looking for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago