Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,260 times

Advertisements

Any help appreciated. My wife, dtr and I live in San Antonio and will be moving Chicago in early March. My office is downtown and would prefer to live close to downtown. We want to rent for about 2 yrs and our budget is about 2k per month. Here's the challenge. We have 2 dogs, both rescue dogs. One is about 70 lbs. Is living close to downtown unrealistic or what areas would be good close to that area? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,535,351 times
You almost certainly can find some place that is within a breif commute of the Loop in your price range, there are suburbs that are under 25 minutes via Metra if you strike out with city landlords -- the general attitudes towards larger dogs / multiple pets tends to be a bigger hurdle in the hotter areas...

If you do the math on spending $48k in rent over two years it very well might make sense to shop for a well priced purchase.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,076,377 times
Think about where you are going to walk them, and think about doing it in freezing cold wind/rain/sleet/snow.

In other words, how far is your dwelling going to be to walk to a grassy area?

And think about the crime stats for the neighborhood you'll be walking in the dark.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,992,006 times
What do you mean by close to downtown? Chicago is very public transit oriented and most people in the city who work downtown commute via train or bus. Now, here's the deal. The places CLOSE to downtown a lot of the time have a 40 pound limit to dogs. It really depends on where though. I'm sure there are places that would take in larger dogs, but you'll have to search for them. If you go a little outside of downtown, not only will you get more bang for your buck, but you'll probably have better luck with a heavier dog like the one you have. There is also more green space outside of downtown. Remember too that during the winters, it's a lot colder here than in Texas. Your dogs might hate you sometimes if you keep them on the cold, icy concrete.

I know areas of Lakeview where you can get a 3 bedroom for $2000/month and other areas too. Near downtown? $2000/month will MAYBE get you a 2 bedroom at an older place. The 2 bedrooms in my place start at around $2050 or $2100 (no dog apartment) downtown and that is under the average rent.

If you want a 1 bedroom then you could live anywhere almost, but 2+ bedrooms..you're pushing it CLOSE to downtown. I would honestly look outside of downtown. It's quite easy to ride a train into downtown. It's fast (for the most part) and everyone does it.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,678,767 times
Wicker Park is still, to this day, one of the most dog-friendly neighborhoods in which I've ever lived. So many landlords there seemed to have few, if any, size restrictions. You'll do best with private landlords and small property management companies as opposed to the larger buildings, but I feel confident you can find something with a bit of effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: