Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,211,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
Are we talking about Chicago proper or Chicagoland? Remember, a lot of what happens in most big American cities happens in the suburbs. For many big American cities only 10-35% of the area's population lies within the city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The manufacturing jobs in Chicago are a fading fast, and the tax structure is not the only reason. The bottomline even for retirees is that there are many places both in the region but outside the city limits as well as in whole other parts of the country where the c-o-l / cost of doing business is far more attractive...

The most notable mass manufacturing facility is almost certainly the Ford plants on the SE side of the city, which churn out quite a nice array of products with a relatively small workforce. The efforts of the city & Stste to retain that have arguably hamstrung other effforts to attract more entrepreneurial factories...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You mean a lot of what happens near most big American cities happens in the suburbs.
I can't speak for others, but when I talk about Chicago (or any other city, for that matter) in a Global context, I refer to the entire metro area because there's no useful way to separate out only the city vs. the suburbs for comparison internationally due to widely divergent methods of political categorization. In my previous answer here, most of my answer used the City as source, but it was not my intention to exclude the suburbs from the discussion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,308,065 times
It's a transforming city, like every city. At one time people came here from around the world for good jobs and built strong neighborhoods where you could safely raise a family--basically what many of the suburbs are today. People still come here for jobs, of course (whether or not they are good anymore) but also largely to experience "big city life." Many of the neighborhoods suffer from crushing poverty. As mentioned, we make few things anymore. The public schools are not very good, by and large.

It has it's good parts and bad parts, but I'm not so sure all of the sloganeering is really apropos. Culturally, though, I would say it is a fairly level headed, hardworking, unpretentious, friendly city. Very Midwestern.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM

778 posts, read 1,003,061 times
Dont know what to say other than whats already been said.

Chicago is a very well balanced city and you can literally find anything you want to here, and compared to most cities its size (there are only two bigger but just talking about major cities in general), its much more unpretentious and more friendly than its bustling/cosmopolitan peers.

If youre from Chicago or the Midwest, you may not see it unless you go to the coasts, but as someone from Upstate NY, I see it. It was honestly a pleasant surprise.

Its a shame internationally that Chicago isnt as well known as NYC or even LA in certain aspects, but I attribute that entirely to media presence.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM

928 posts, read 1,721,121 times
Funnily enough, some Italian journalist was on WBEZ's "Worldview" today, and one of the things he said is Chicago is his favorite American city because it is so middle American. Los Angeles is too Californian, NYC is very much New York state, two places that are fairly distinct from the rest of what people think of as classic American pie places, but Chicago (he also put Milwaukee in this category) feels very much like true blue USA. Obviously, Chicago is a much bigger city than Des Moines or Indianapolis or wherever, and has the perks of living in a big city the way other Midwestern cities do not, but I agree with him for what it's worth, and have said so before. I don't know why many Chicagoans seem to take umbrage to their Midwesternness. It's not a bad thing.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,211,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Funnily enough, some Italian journalist was on WBEZ's "Worldview" today, and one of the things he said is Chicago is his favorite American city because it is so middle American. Los Angeles is too Californian, NYC is very much New York state, two places that are fairly distinct from the rest of what people think of as classic American pie places, but Chicago (he also put Milwaukee in this category) feels very much like true blue USA. Obviously, Chicago is a much bigger city than Des Moines or Indianapolis or wherever, and has the perks of living in a big city the way other Midwestern cities do not, but I agree with him for what it's worth, and have said so before. I don't know why many Chicagoans seem to take umbrage to their Midwesternness. It's not a bad thing.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but some people use "Midwestern" as a stand-in for "milquetoast," at which point it does become insulting.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:14 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,104,693 times
There are PLEANTY of "middle Americans" in Orange County, California. I hear Upstate NY has lots of them too.

Generally speaking, you're much more likely to find "middle America" in the Chicago suburbs than the city.

Last edited by urza216; 11-05-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 PM

955 posts, read 1,840,378 times
Next time some one tells you that Chicago is in economic decline, please re-direct them to inquire with Price Waterhouse about where our metro ranks in world GDP (see figure 3.3).

http://www.ukmediacentre.pwc.com/ima...DetailsID=1562

Then tell them them to get on their knees and thank their God for having put them here.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,104,693 times
Chet Everett is repressenting middle America on the Illinois CityData forums!

And Chicago isn't his city, is it?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM

778 posts, read 1,003,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
There are PLEANTY of "middle Americans" in Orange County, California. I hear Upstate NY has lots of them too.

Generally speaking, you're much more likely to find "middle America" in the Chicago suburbs than the city.

I would have to say if Upstate NY cities are like any major cities, its Chicago. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Utica, yes. Albany, mixed.

It is very "Middle American."

Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM

928 posts, read 1,721,121 times
Orange county "middle American"? I'm beginning to suspect people are using the term interchangeably with "votes Republican."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago