Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Who said anything about architecture? Isn't the OP a project manager and former engineer?
The OP says his academic background is Electrical Engineer and he has been employed as a "Project Coordinator". That generally points to commercial construction project such as those that are also managed by architects. Even if the OP is involved in some other type of 'project coordination' it is not at all clear that his skills are in-demand.

Any comments on the reliability of no-cost online advertising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP says his academic background is Electrical Engineer and he has been employed as a "Project Coordinator". That generally points to commercial construction project such as those that are also managed by architects. Even if the OP is involved in some other type of 'project coordination' it is not at all clear that his skills are in-demand.

Any comments on the reliability of no-cost online advertising?
No he said this:

Quote:
I work here as a project coordinator (in a global Mobile Marketing & advertising company)
And my comment on the reliability of no-cost online advertising is that it is how I have found every single apartment I've rented as an adult, and it's where you will find the absolute highest number of private landlord rentals (and hence, usually the best prices). With the help of the members of this forum, and a bit of your own research it's the best way I've yet found to rent an apartment.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Well I hope it all works out well

There is certainly no shortage of folks trying to make a living in the crowded mobile marketing and advertising field.

I don't doubt the reliabilty of no-cost advertising varies considerably in places like St. Louis , Kansas and Chicago suburbs all of which you've lived over the past several years. (say, technicalliy speaking, are you counting "adulthood" as 18 or 21? In either case do you have a full decade on the grown up side of the line? Congrats, that's a lot of moving.)

Just to put some perspective -- I've lived in the region pretty much all of my life. (only extended time living anywhere else was collge, and even while there I still maintiined my legal residence here) I've worked as a high school teacher in both the city and suburbs, public and private schools. I survived several career changes. I've been active as a real estate investor and agent for over 25 years. I now work full-time in a field closely related to information technology. I am intimately aware of the risks that exist when building one's frame of reference online instead of the real world. I have owned rental properties profitably and never relied on no-cost advertising to find tenants.

The OP's desire to relocate to a safe family friendly part of Chicago can be accomplished. It would certainly be wiser to attempt to secure employment before hand, to line up potential living quarters before arrival and to have a realistic budget. If he does not choose to do so his experince in Chicago is likely to be "sub-optimal"...

Clear?

Quote:
No he said this:

And my comment on the reliability of no-cost online advertising is that it is how I have found every single apartment I've rented as an adult, and it's where you will find the absolute highest number of private landlord rentals (and hence, usually the best prices). With the help of the members of this forum, and a bit of your own research it's the best way I've yet found to rent an apartment.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:27 AM

14 posts, read 19,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
To begin with I do not beleive it is in the best interest of someone coming for halfway around the world to be under the delusion that there is any abundance of jobs in VERY competitive fields like architecture that is facing an exterme glut of labor. I have mentioned that fact in this thread.

Further the available data about cost of living suggest the OP in this thread is not being realistic. If they were single and estimating a little low in one or two categories of their budget maybe it would not bug me so much, but that their estimates are quite low in several categories and they have a family that troubles me much more. It is seems clear that others agree the OP's understanding of many aspects of the cost of life has not been accurately estimated. I find all the more worrisome that some folks enthusiasm for city life is at odds with the reality of the current economic conditions.

Specifically I have posted on the FACT that the rental market in Chicago has been on a fairly vigorous upward price trend for quite some time. Rents are rising. The data confirms that the OP is using estimates that low for the sorts of unuts / neighborhoods that typically are attractive to families.

I find it rather humorous that the Great And Mighty famed city-data member since way back in June of this year, masterful author of not yet 900 posts finds it important enough to point out that I am "a random poster from the burbs". I would posit that I do stick to what I know, which includes advocating for those contemplating a move to Chicago to factor in the likelihood that those with an overly rosy view of things may be overlooking some key factors due to their stage of life being a mismatch for those contemplating relocation.

I would kindly remind folks that the generally policy of city-data is to discourage posters from personally attacking others and stick to the answering the questions others ask / responding to the issues raised.

P.s. HEY look at the fine values to be found on Craigslist:https://www.city-data.com/forum/26737631-post1.html Yessir Bob, spend 3 minutes on that fine site and you have done all the research you need to move around the globe...
Thank you all for all your feedback so far. If my numbers are not realistic you can provide me with actual numbers. For example we can take my plan step by step and discuss.

The Plan:

Remember I said that my plan is flexible and I can amend it to meet the best I can get at this phase. Regarding talking about actual values and realistic numbers from real life. We have contacted renting agencies in Chicago and they have confirmed that they have rentals in our range.

Rent : I see you mentioned the average for 1 BR in a previous posts = $900 - 1200 etc. this actually support my plan to find a rent for 1 BR in the areas that have average of $900.

Food: Here is my list of groceries per month that my wife gave me based on what we buy here:

I used below site to find prices. Note this site is for ordering online so the numbers are realistic.
Peapod Online Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service

I have decided with my wife to drop the car till we find a job this will save us $ 4,000 + $ 480 = $ 4,480 we will keep this money aside for my son medical needs etc.

Regarding utilities. To my understanding and also after checking with rent agencies and online ads, most of the apartments include heat and water in the rent. this will leave us with electricity and cooking gas and internet (tell me if I forgot something) I have set for that $ 200/month. I believe that this is enough. You can always share with me your real numbers.

On top of that we have $ 100 per month to go out. We are a simple family so going for us can be a walk at the loop , grabbing a bite at any cheap restaurants etc .. if we do this twice a month plus going around walking in the area we will live at will be more than enough for us.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
For the OP, I am curious how much money you are planning to have saved before moving. Which I am guessing you are planning on if you don't have a job lined up first.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 PM

I think I would bump rent up to $900/mo, food up to $375. Leave the "number" in for car, as even if you don't own but decide to rent evry once in a while it still helps with a realistic picture.

The idea is a good estimate of what is likely to occur is much smarter than budgeting for bargains -- if things go well and you end up with nice place for cheap that is a plus. But if you come here and only have so little that life is unpleasant that is not easily changed...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For the OP, I am curious how much money you are planning to have saved before moving. Which I am guessing you are planning on if you don't have a job lined up first.
He said 40K in his OP.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
He said 40K in his OP.
Okay, I must of missed that. With that amount of cash, if they keep their expenses conservative, it should last quite a while in that city. About 6K lasted us five months here in New Jersey with the cost of living in the NYC metro, I can imagine it would be much easier to stretch out 40K much, much further in Chicago.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 AM

14 posts, read 19,708 times
By the way ladies and gentlemen. I am already here in Chicago. I found a 2 bed room apartment for $700 per month. The rent does not include heat, I control the heat. I would like to thank all the people who supported me and gave me guidance.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,991,583 times
Thanks for updating - I hope it's going well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago