Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:59 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Am I the only one excited about this?
Most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,443,387 times
I thought this was the "new" State Street? Didn't they get rid of the cheap stores and steak shops, in favor of the new "upscale" tenants? Is Burlington Coat Factory coming in and admission of failure? The beginning of another long, slow, decline of State Street?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM

209 posts, read 590,898 times
If there is a "new" State Street, then Burlington Coat Factory fits right in. The old State Street was full of gaudy electronics stores, wig shops, and the type of clothing stores where the "fashions" were more appropriate for pimps and their employees than for typical students and office workers. Yes, discount stores still predominate, but now they're outlets of big name retailers (Nordstrom Rack), sellers of close-outs of name brand designers (TJ Maxx), or "cheap chic" retailers that specialize in low-cost knock offs of the latest styles (H&M, Old Navy, Foerever 21). Burlington sells discounted name brands and not-so-name brands that nevertheless track current mainstream styles.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
...I heard it's opening on 10/5. Am I the only one excited about this?
Burlington Coat factory would do better on 70th & State rather than on 1 N State, it would be closer to it's client base.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
If there is a "new" State Street, then Burlington Coat Factory fits right in. The old State Street was full of gaudy electronics stores, wig shops, and the type of clothing stores where the "fashions" were more appropriate for pimps and their employees than for typical students and office workers. Yes, discount stores still predominate, but now they're outlets of big name retailers (Nordstrom Rack), sellers of close-outs of name brand designers (TJ Maxx), or "cheap chic" retailers that specialize in low-cost knock offs of the latest styles (H&M, Old Navy, Foerever 21). Burlington sells discounted name brands and not-so-name brands that nevertheless track current mainstream styles.
That was my reaction, too. I've never been in a Burlington Coat Factory, but to see some of the reactions here you'd think it was Dollar General or a garage sale rather than the middle-of-the-road clothing store that it is. Seems to me it would fit right in with the other generic corporate clothing stores.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,196,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Burlington Coat factory would do better on 70th & State rather than on 1 N State, it would be closer to it's client base.
70th and State? Isn't that a fish market or a grocery place? You must not be familiar with the area. The last place I noticed a Burlington store was back of the yards at 47th and Western.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
If there is a "new" State Street, then Burlington Coat Factory fits right in. The old State Street was full of gaudy electronics stores, wig shops, and the type of clothing stores where the "fashions" were more appropriate for pimps and their employees than for typical students and office workers.
Hey! What do you have against Roberto's? I don't shop there but its like a throwback to the seventies. I keep expecting Don Cornelius to walk out of there.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,225,037 times
I've seen commercials for this place, but know nothing about it. Just looked it up and all the reviews for the chain are absolute trash.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
That was my reaction, too. I've never been in a Burlington Coat Factory, but to see some of the reactions here you'd think it was Dollar General or a garage sale rather than the middle-of-the-road clothing store that it is. Seems to me it would fit right in with the other generic corporate clothing stores.
It's a middle-of-the-road hobo store.

I just get a weird creepy vibe from that place. Them and Syms with their exceptionally weird great big "community" changing room, like I'm trying on a suit in a bath house.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,885 times
I wasn't aware that Burlington was moving downtown. I'm not a fan of the place and haven't shopped (a failure of an attempt to find a quality leather coat at discounted price) in years.

Maybe State St is catering more to the college students that are close by...

I swear since Macy's rolled in..... *sigh*.... RIP Field's...

Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,005,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

They already have one at 87th and the dan ryan. That would be a bit too close together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: