Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times

Advertisements

you get to take one and only one photograph of Chicago that literally screams drop dead, OMG, WTF, mind boggling, too magnificent and beautiful for words, pinch me.

what do you choose?

mine: I'm in a helicopter facing south towards the skyline, directly above Belmont Harbor and getting the full expanse of the skyline in focus from Navy Pier to where the towers peter out at the Kennedy with the entire scope of the southern end of Lincoln Park visible with lake, beach, park, and residential skyline on Clark, LPW, Lakeview, Inner LSD, Sheridan. It's a cloudless, crystal clear morning, perhaps around 10:00 am when the sunrise colors have worn off but the brightness illuminates the skyline.

admittedly this is a common shot. i saw it at its best at an art fair I went to this summer on a canvass that was easily 12 feet long and 8 feet wide and cost close to $500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:28 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
you get to take one and only one photograph of Chicago that literally screams drop dead, OMG, WTF, mind boggling, too magnificent and beautiful for words, pinch me.

what do you choose?

mine: I'm in a helicopter facing south towards the skyline, directly above Belmont Harbor and getting the full expanse of the skyline in focus from Navy Pier to where the towers peter out at the Kennedy with the entire scope of the southern end of Lincoln Park visible with lake, beach, park, and residential skyline on Clark, LPW, Lakeview, Inner LSD, Sheridan. It's a cloudless, crystal clear morning, perhaps around 10:00 am when the sunrise colors have worn off but the brightness illuminates the skyline.

admittedly this is a common shot. i saw it at its best at an art fair I went to this summer on a canvass that was easily 12 feet long and 8 feet wide and cost close to $500.
I like something like this, from over about South Pond in Lincoln Park.

Google Maps

Or even this, from the West with a railroad highway heading right into the middle and and buildings small in the foreground slowly building to the tall crescendo covering the horizon.

Google Maps

I know you said *one* but these come to mind, too - looking north from the top of McCormick Place's north parking garage:

http://goo.gl/maps/se3lC

And kinda hard to beat this one from the Modern Wing at the Art Institute:

http://goo.gl/maps/3z0XZ

Last edited by emathias; 09-16-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Actually, I love going to the other side of Lake Michigan, and looking towards Chicago, when you are used to seeing the Chicago skyline, and then going over to seeing the other side, its amazing beyond what words could tell.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
The most typical iconic shot of the city is pretty much from above in a helicopter or whatever and you can incorporate Sears Tower and John Hancock in the same frame. The skyline basically.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Driving north bound on S. Lake Shore Drive around sunset.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
at the point in Hyde Park, the skyline literally floats on water. from ground level, you can't beat the views looking north on S LSD compared to south bound on N LSD. Of course, the view on N LSD offers better park and beach views and the residential skyline on the North Side (which the South doesn't have).

when I mentioned my favorite view...helicopter over Belmont Harbor....it was because you can actually really see the Loop which you can't at ground level because only the highest towers stick up.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM

425 posts, read 371,447 times
The thing about the Chicago skyline is that its amazing from pretty much any angle.

Aerial Chicago - a set on Flickr

Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM

240 posts, read 465,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Prolly gotta agree with this. I think the view of the skyline from the south is the best. You get the depth of the skyline along with all the great buildings and the park. Sunset is just the cherry on top.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
The thing about the Chicago skyline is that its amazing from pretty much any angle.

Aerial Chicago - a set on Flickr
i would agree, but I have to say that from the southwest it is at its worst: too compacted and too centered around Sears (ok, Willis, you must have) Tower. The drive in from the Stevenson is far from the best (the Eisenhower isn't too great either, but if the road we not depressed below grade level, the views would be great.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,627 times
i guess it's cliche, but the most impressive to me is from around the planetarium (or a boat ride near that area). the view of the layout there is just amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago