Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 AM

42 posts, read 66,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from India. My company is offering me an 18 month opportunity in their Chicago office. The expected salary is annual 60-65K. My office would be in W. Jackson Boulevard. Can you suggest some good localities around the area and what would be the expected rent for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Thanks and regards,
Subodh Lath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
The average in that immediate area is probably $1700 or so per month though I think 1beds in Presidential Towers can start as low as $1300.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subodhlath View Post
Hi,

I am from India. My company is offering me an 18 month opportunity in their Chicago office. The expected salary is annual 60-65K. My office would be in W. Jackson Boulevard. Can you suggest some good localities around the area and what would be the expected rent for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Thanks and regards,
Subodh Lath
What kind of area are you looking for? Restaurants, bars, etc in the area with a relatively easy commute to work or just somewhere quiet and a relatively easy commute to work?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:53 AM

I will be moving in with my wife, area should be a good neighborhood. Proximity to public transport would be a big plus as we dont intend to buy a car as soon as we move there. Restaurants and bars is not a requirement but a big plus. How bout the rentals in lake shore drive, lincoln park, rogers park? Are these areas safe? Do the rentals generally including heating and other utilities also? I m looking at a budget of $1,000 - $1,200. If not a 1bedroom a studio is also an option, though we may have some guests visiting so 1 bedroom is preferable.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 AM

103 posts, read 225,220 times
While homes on Lake Shore Drive are very nice, their downside is that they usually are not THAT close to public transit. In my opinion, since you are living with someone else, I would prefer a 1 bedroom over a studio. With a budget of $1200, you can afford most neighborhoods, but most likely will not find a space walking distance to your office. ( I am assuming your W. Jackson office is in the loop.) I would not look at Roger's Park since it is too far north in my opinion. If I were you I would look at apartments in Old Town, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Lakeview, and try to find something easy walking distance to the el.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I will be moving in with my wife, area should be a good neighborhood. Proximity to public transport would be a big plus as we dont intend to buy a car as soon as we move there. Restaurants and bars is not a requirement but a big plus. How bout the rentals in lake shore drive, lincoln park, rogers park? Are these areas safe? Do the rentals generally including heating and other utilities also? I m looking at a budget of $1,000 - $1,200. If not a 1bedroom a studio is also an option, though we may have some guests visiting so 1 bedroom is preferable.
Lake Shore Drive, meh. I'd look at Lincoln Park, Lakeview, North Center, Lincoln Square, and Ravenswood areas. I would recommend West Ridge (i.e. West Rogers Park), it really is Little India/Pakistan (Devon Street) for a little bit (i.e. between , HOWEVER, getting to where you'd be working with public transit might take an hour. The area around Loyola university isn't terrible, but eh. I'd look in Edgewater around the Red Line or Andersonville if you're going to go that far north. Those are close enough to Devon where it's not a terrible hike on the bus to get there. Just realize that the further north you go, the longer your commute will be on the train.

All of the areas I've mentioned, you should be able to find a 1 bedroom for your budget. A lot of rentals do include heat, and sometimes water/sewer/trash. My building includes everything but electricity, but every building is different.

I'm also assuming you'll be working in the Loop. For further things in Chicago, just saying "W. Jackson Boulevard" isn't 100% useful. W. Jackson is actually 10.5 miles (17 km) long in total and goes into a suburb (Forest Park). When you live here, it's more useful to say a closest intersection such as "Jackson & State." Especially if you take a cab. It's easier for them, and also they won't think you're new to the city if you say that. Even if you say street numbers like "2900 w fullerton," a lot of people might have an idea, but if you were to say "Fullerton & Milwaukee" then a lot of people would know exactly where you're talking about.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-14-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 AM

I searched for the office address on google maps and it is in the loop... the exact address is 175 W. Jackson Boulevard,Chicago, IL 60604
I hope this helps a little bit.

The other questions i had in mind was would apartments be available in the neighborhoods during November, I understand that most of them are very high on occupancy at that time of the year. I am also keen on a 1 bedroom if it fits the budget 1000-1200 per month. Also would prefer an apartment near public transport as my job would require travel to client offices.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I searched for the office address on google maps and it is in the loop... the exact address is 175 W. Jackson Boulevard,Chicago, IL 60604
I hope this helps a little bit.

The other questions i had in mind was would apartments be available in the neighborhoods during November, I understand that most of them are very high on occupancy at that time of the year. I am also keen on a 1 bedroom if it fits the budget 1000-1200 per month. Also would prefer an apartment near public transport as my job would require travel to client offices.

175 W Jackson is right near a train station (Quincy). A bunch of trains stop there - Brown, Purple, Pink, and Orange.

Again, you can find things for $1000-$1200 and a one bedroom easily unless you're talking about downtown. I suggest you look in a place like Ravenswood or Lincoln Square honestly. My girlfriend used to live near the Damen Brown Line stop and her 2 bedroom apartment was even within your budget (I believe $1150/month for a 2 bedroom). You might be able to find some for that much and a 2 bedroom. 1 bedroom up there will be easy. Extremely safe part of town and it's quiet, although there are restaurants (especially on Lincoln Avenue like around the Western Brown Line stop) and some lounges/bars. There are a lot of families up there so there's a mix, and even the mayor of this city lives in Ravenswood. Also from there, if you are feeling a little homesick, Devon (little India) is a short bus ride from that area. Go to the Western Brown Line stop (don't 'go on the train), and catch the 49B bus. It's a straight shot up 20 minutes and you're there. If you lived in that area, your commute to your office would be 30-40 minutes, maybe 45 if it was real slow.

Places should be available for November, but you should jump on it soon.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:17 AM

Thanks a lot guys... any ideas where to begin the hunt for apartments? Craigslist? any other sources....trusted sites?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM

211 posts, read 501,463 times
Stay clear of craigslist, horrible apartment agencies spamming it.

Domu.com is how I found my place and it is landlord only postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago