Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times

Advertisements

I don't like T-Mobile because I travel to rural areas sometimes and they use a GSM network (just like ATT). There simply aren't as many GSM towers in certain parts of rural America . I realize GSM is the standard in most of the world. Verizon and US Cellular rock because they use CDMA towers which abound.

The above may not be an issue if you don't travel outside cities.

p.s. US Cellular does monitor data usage when roaming on their partners. Once you reach a threshold, they downgrade you from 3G to 1X for the balance of the month. I believe this only started this year. Not an issue when you use the phone in cities that offer true US Cellular signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
They (T-Mobile) might be my top contender so far. I like the low rate, no contract, and I've yet to hear anything highly negative about their connection/network. I didn't realize that they didn't use the iPhone and had a poor Android selection, but I can probably live with that.
Truthfully, it's just the tech nerd in me. TMobile has 2-4 top notch Android phones at any given time. I just like a lot of the Motorola phones that Verizon has. It's really my own bias, so don't let it worry you.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post

The above may not be an issue if you don't travel outside cities.
I do sometimes, but I'm in cities (primarily this one) far more often, so if I have to pick something that only works in cities or something that only works in rural areas, I'll take the former. Thanks for your input!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Truthfully, it's just the tech nerd in me. TMobile has 2-4 top notch Android phones at any given time. I just like a lot of the Motorola phones that Verizon has. It's really my own bias, so don't let it worry you.
Cool. What, if any, has been the downside of using your unlocked iPhone with them? I'm thinking that sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
p.s. US Cellular does monitor data usage when roaming on their partners. Once you reach a threshold, they downgrade you from 3G to 1X for the balance of the month. I believe this only started this year. Not an issue when you use the phone in cities that offer true US Cellular signal.
That's not bad. I probably won't go over my cap too often, and if/when I do I'd rather get shifted to slower service for the rest of the month than to get hit with extra fees, like with Verizon and others.

I'll definitely be doing more research on T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular. Thanks, guys.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 PM

389 posts, read 921,190 times
Quote:
They're all using the latest 4G iPhones and Androids. I'm talking current products, current people, current network, current experiences. I'm not sure how to further clarify this to you, since you seem hell-bent on holding on to your viewpoint that doesn't fit the practical experience of real people who actually live in the city.

And in case you think it's just my friends who have trouble with AT&T data connection in the city, do a simple Google search.

CHICAGO LOOP / DOWNTOWN - Data and Coverage Issue... - AT&T Community Support

I'm glad to hear you're done discussing it, though.
And you're quoting and quoting again 3G network, not being able to tell apart 4G LTE. And not all 4G phones are 4G LTE. 4G and 4G LTE are very two different technologies. I told you iPhone is not really 4G and youre saying you friends are using 4G iPhones. Regular 4G is nothing but faster 3G network that has the same vulnerabilities to oversubscription.

In Loop, there is many people using cell phones and as far as data speed, in that crowded environment no carrier will be totally immune to slowdowns.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

To the OP, I think you need to gauge how much data you need and what you need it for. If you're looking to stream movies, obviously you'll need a super fast network with large data caps or preferably unlimited data. If ATT doesn't work around your workplace, than it won't matter much if it's LTE or not, would it? Hopefully more people will pop in here with their experience.
LTE does matter. The problem is OP even won't try to test it but just go with people's opinion. Well it must be because they think if majority of people they know say it must be right. Well guess what majority of people think that VZW new share data plans give more value for money than old plans. But its simply not true, especially if data packages matter to you. No one today with smartphones need unlimited minutes or texts. Smartphone apps replaced it. So carriers now are replacing individual plans with more expensive bundles to make up for loss in revenue.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
And you're quoting and quoting again 3G network, not being able to tell apart 4G LTE.
Okay. So Sprint doesn't have LTE yet, you say, and ATT&T you say has it but for some reason doesn't use it on the iPhone, which is by far their most popular smart phone.

So who has it, available on a decent phone (iPhone or top-of-line Android), at a decent price, with reliable (again, this is much more important to me than fast) connections throughout the city? If this exists, you've yet to tell me. If it doesn't, your talk about it is irrelevant to my thread. Please contribute if you have something to offer, or stop posting if you don't. Even if you tell me it exists, and who has it, when it comes to reliability throughout the city I have to weigh the fact that you're the only person claiming this, and you don't live here.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Very helpful. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by ChiNaan; 09-09-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Cool. What, if any, has been the downside of using your unlocked iPhone with them? I'm thinking that sounds like a good idea.

ChiNaan, I can't speak for mangomadness, but I can answer this from my experience. When I first looked into getting a data plan for my iPhone, the guy at T-Mobile said that if I just got a regular data plan, the phone would be forced to use T-Mobile's Edge data speed, which is slow/2G speed. The hotspot allows the phone to get up to 3G speeds. If you don't mind carrying around an extra item, the hotspot is the way to go (it's about $25/month for 2GB and you pay about $5/month for a year or two for the actual device). Plus, as I mentioned before, the hotspot can be used with any web enabled device so if you carry around a laptop or tablet, it could use that data plan as well.

I've had T-Mobile for ages now and haven't had much problem with service. I've been able to use my phone (well technically, T-Mobile-I've only had the unlocked iPhone for a year) in Boston, parts of New Hampshire, parts of western Massachusetts, Providence, R.I, Enterprise, Alabama, Nashville and Mufreesboro, TN, Los Angeles, and Ottawa Canada. I pay just under $80 for unlimited texts, unlimited nights & weekends, 600 whenever minutes, and 2GB of data with the hotspot. It's not Sprint with it's unlimited everything plan, but it works for me. I do see myself possibly getting go of T-Mobile if it doesn't get the iPhone 5 this month since buying used, jailbroken/unlocked phones isn't that much cheaper than buying a plan subsidized phone and you're restricted to what software upgrades are compatible w/ the phone.

Last edited by eevee; 09-09-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
Here is a link to an article about 4G vs LTE, etc etc etc:
4G? LTE? What's the difference? - CSMonitor.com

Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Okay. So Sprint doesn't have LTE yet, you say, and ATT&T you say has it but for some reason doesn't use it on the iPhone, which is by far its most popular smart phone.

So who has it, available on a decent phone, at a decent price, with reliable (again, this is much more important to me than fast) connections throughout the city? If this exists, you've yet to tell me. If it doesn't, your talk about it is irrelevant to my thread.
Att doesn't make phones. Its cell phone manufacturers who sell through carrier stores decide whether their phones include it or not. Iphone 5 that is coming this September will have LTE chipset. So far only some Android smartphones have it.

For example Samsung Galaxy S III is 4G LTE, iPhone 4S is "4G" but not 4G LTE. Just like your old Blackberry Cuver 8310 could not use 3G and couldn't be made to work on it until its next model release, so its the same for iPhone regarding 4G LTE. Many people were disappointed when Apple released 4S without LTE. Can't say if most regular people or just people in tech world.

This is where you go:
1) Verizon for coverage but most expensive
2) AT&T for middle ground
3) T-Mobile for best price but worst nationwide coverage among of these 3.

Also check with your employer, school or gym membership to see if they offer employer-discount on cell phone services. Many large corporations do for all carriers. Gyms like LifeTime Fitness offer discount for T-Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago