Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,434,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
My brother has a felony conviction for a non-violent offense.
He is planning on moving to either the twin cities or Chicago with his fiancee. Does anyone know how much of a barrier this is going to be to him?

In some places like Texas, a past mistake basically crushes your entire life and they make it so one is unable to ever more forward or reenter society as s productive person. (he learned this the hard way and will be moving to MN/IL from Houston) In other places, they do allow people with non-violent or non-predatory type offenses to move on with their lives, obtain professional licenses, etc.

Does anyone know how Chicago washes out on this issue? I've never had to face it myself, so I can't give him any advice.
He is 29 and has two kids with a sterling employment record. Never served any time in prison, only probation.

Thanks for any help.
Yeah he's pretty much screwed.

You know the saying Don't Mess with Texas is for good reason.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,759,188 times
Yeah, Texas SUCKS BIG TIME FOR A FELON! I COULDN'T RENT A NICE APARTMENT FROM ANYONE BECAUSE OF MY FELONY! And I wondered why I couldn't get jobs I was perfectly qualified for!

And this crap is happening to me in Chicago now! Luckily I live at home with my Parent's rent free! I wonder if getting a nice Apt in Chicago will be hard?

I've been walked out the door for jobs I was perfectly qualified for! I wonder why now I apply to recruiters for jobs I was well qualified for, like my last Job was at NASA! - And I'm not getting any responses!

It hurt real bad when I got walked out the door for a $45/hr job...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,678,894 times
^Try El Gato Negro. They would love you there!^

www.elgatonegrobar.com

Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 PM

You could always try the massage spa.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,470,929 times
I used to have an acqauntence who had been in the military, first gulf war and then lapsed into some drug use and had a felony conviction on his record. He now works with UPS and has no problems, I have heard the same of Fed Ex.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to have an acqauntence who had been in the military, first gulf war and then lapsed into some drug use and had a felony conviction on his record. He now works with UPS and has no problems, I have heard the same of Fed Ex.
That is very comforting to know felons can get jobs with UPS & FedEx especially since they are delivering to my home weekly.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
That is very comforting to know felons can get jobs with UPS & FedEx especially since they are delivering to my home weekly.
Yea, I had thought of that but that is the information I have been told. It certainly could be it depends on it being a non violent felony which was what my friend was convicted of. His military career might have offset some of that also.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Yea, I had thought of that but that is the information I have been told. It certainly could be it depends on it being a non violent felony which was what my friend was convicted of. His military career might have offset some of that also.
I don’t know if that makes me feel any better. People get felonies because they lack serious judgment and or ethics. In my opinion, a felon is a big deal and I don’t want them intertwined in my life in the least bit. Sucks because for obvious reasons one doesnt always have complete control of that.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I don’t know if that makes me feel any better. People get felonies because they lack serious judgment and or ethics. In my opinion, a felon is a big deal and I don’t want them intertwined in my life in the least bit. Sucks because for obvious reasons one doesnt always have complete control of that.
Well my friend was sent to fight a war when he was just 18 years of age, he laid in his bunk on the carrier and cried sometimes at night because he was so affraid. He had flashbacks of having to kill up close, watching the man crumple and die. It was all too much for him to process. He came back home, found he couldn't deal, couldn't find the pace again and he turned to drugs, heavy drugs to self medicate the pain of PTSD away.

I'm not saying what he did was right but given his history I can see how it happened.

Now he doesn't even take cold medicine he is that serious about his sobriety.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,672,456 times
Lindsey, your friend is very lucky to have someone like you who understands the world is full of shades of grey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: