Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I hope it does not happen. Manhattan has gotten really watered down (even for Manhattan) and the SF bay area is filled to the brim with lame geeks. I really just can't deal with those types of people.

I'm not interested in being in an area where dorks outbid each other for 2000$ a month rat hole studio rentals.
1) Chicago doesn't have rent control. (Making it always more profitable to rent a space than keep it empty in Chicago)

2) Chicago has the whole South and West sides ready for redevelopment and investment. (Within close proximity to the CBD) Where is there the same in NYC or Bay Area? NYC is packed to the gills. The Bay area is as dense as these tree huggers will allow it to be. Chicago isn't afraid to bulldoze a couple of crapholes and build a skyscraper where it's needed.

It'll never happen in Chicago. Well, any more than it already is. I wish it would though. 2k for a rat hole studio? You'll see more tower cranes going up faster than you can say holy moly!

Last edited by rparz; 08-06-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM

53 posts, read 87,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
But I am torn on bringing a lot of suburbanite workers into Chicago... the typical suburban tech worker I worked with in the past, was a Dockers-wearing, scruffy, long-haired, anti-social creep who never washed their clothes, had poor hygiene, only talked about video games, and/or was a complete a***ole to deal with.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
^ All those guys are essentially multi millionaires now. Even the ones who bailed early and went elsewhere. Gordon Letwin is worth somewhere around $20 million.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Need the rest of the "Where are they now" story....

I don't think there are too many folks that would be able to identify any of the "Original 12 Microsoft Employees" without a cheat sheet ---

What Happened to the folks that started MSFT in 1978?

btw The guy that was once called the "most accomplished programmer and founder of any PC application" after he nearly single handed wrote Lotus 1-2-3 and was later known as the "the most bitter of the PC software tycoons" after he sold the firm to IBM has changed so much in both appearance and tone over the years that he basically unrecognizable Mitch Kapor's blog -- --Early days

IBM sell out

recent

Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
You do realize that tech companies employ more then just 'nerds', right? Sales, marketing, legal, yada yada.
What is taking place in the merchandise mart is certainly going to spur interest.

Right now it appears at least Chicago has a very motivated mayor who has so far played his cards
to win.

Appears on the surface he is not putting all his eggs in one basket rather being diverse in the companies who are either starting up here or relocating to Chicago.

Seems things are going in the right direction for the area.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Chicago's Startup Scene is on Fire

Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I follow economics on a daily basis, and honestly the amount of activity announced in Chicago on the jobs front just within the past month or two is outstanding for what I would have expected a year ago. Lately it's been almost daily - the headquarters and jobs are really pouring into the downtown area in full force - and this from someone who needs a LOT of proof to not always be doubting.

Many people say it doesn't count because the city is grabbing a lot of jobs from the suburbs so it's "metro neutral", but hell - the burbs have been grabbing city jobs for decades. I'm perfectly fine if this turns out to be downtown's decade.

The top Chicago story so far is the murder rate and shooting increase from the gangs - but if you stop and look deeper at the positive news there's a crazy amount of it on the jobs front. Downtown and the city might quietly be on their way to a fairly decent next few years.

Motorola Mobility Leaving Suburbs - Bringing 3,000 jobs to Downtown Chicago

Mayor Emanuel announces Zurich Insurance adding 150 jobs in downtown Chicago - Chicago CIty Hall | Examiner.com

McGladrey moves HQ to Chicago, plans to add 300-500 jobs - Chicago Sun-Times

Burns & Wilcox moves office downtown - Chicago Tribune

GE Transportation to move headquarters to Chicago - Chicago Tribune

Federal Savings Bank opening office, hiring in West Loop - Chicago Sun-Times

Sears Boosts Office Space on State Street

InnerWorkings adds space to accommodate 200 hires - chicagotribune.com

DeVry to bring 600 jobs to new West Loop offices - Chicago Sun-Times

Sara Lee To Move Headquarters Back Into City « CBS Chicago

Sterling Partners moving downtown from Northbrook - Chicago Tribune

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces Sagence Group Will Move Corporate Headquarters to Chicago

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces ThyssenKrupp Will Open North American Headquarters in Chicago

Braintreet Adding 150 New Jobs to West Loop Headquarters

Chicago Sees Jobs Rebound: Study | NBC Chicago

Census Shows Chicago Population Growth | NBC Chicago

Last edited by Chicago60614; 08-07-2012 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Nice read, thanks for posting.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
According to rankings Chicago has the 6th largest technology economy in the country. Merge that with the diversity of industry and you have a strong future for tech growth. So I believe you can stay home

Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I follow economics on a daily basis, and honestly the amount of activity announced in Chicago on the jobs front just within the past month or two is outstanding for what I would have expected a year ago. Lately it's been almost a daily - the headquarters and jobs are really pouring into the downtown area in full force - and this from someone who needs a LOT of proof to not always be doubting.

Many people say it doesn't count because the city is grabbing a lot of jobs from the suburbs so it's "metro neutral", but hell - the burbs have been grabbing city jobs for decades. I'm perfectly fine if this turns out to be downtown's decade.

The top Chicago story so far is the murder rate and shooting increase from the gangs - but if you stop and look deeper and the good news there's a crazy amount of it on the jobs front. Downtown and the city might quietly be on their way to a fairly decent next few years.

Motorola Mobility Leaving Suburbs - Bringing 3,000 jobs to Downtown Chicago

Mayor Emanuel announces Zurich Insurance adding 150 jobs in downtown Chicago - Chicago CIty Hall | Examiner.com

McGladrey moves HQ to Chicago, plans to add 300-500 jobs - Chicago Sun-Times

Burns & Wilcox moves office downtown - Chicago Tribune

GE Transportation to move headquarters to Chicago - Chicago Tribune

Federal Savings Bank opening office, hiring in West Loop - Chicago Sun-Times

Sears Boosts Office Space on State Street

InnerWorkings adds space to accommodate 200 hires - chicagotribune.com

DeVry to bring 600 jobs to new West Loop offices - Chicago Sun-Times

Sara Lee To Move Headquarters Back Into City « CBS Chicago

Sterling Partners moving downtown from Northbrook - Chicago Tribune

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces Sagence Group Will Move Corporate Headquarters to Chicago

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces ThyssenKrupp Will Open North American Headquarters in Chicago

Braintreet Adding 150 New Jobs to West Loop Headquarters

Chicago Sees Jobs Rebound: Study | NBC Chicago

Census Shows Chicago Population Growth | NBC Chicago

From your link "city of chicago" Mayor Emanuel has added 16,000 jobs to the city.
I am surprised there has not been an article written about how many additional jobs will be created
from this robust number.

Find it rather enlightening to see Crain's report some postive news besides there usual drum beat.

Just like what you stated it is harder to find the good news between the usual stories the press releases on a daily basis.

Seems Chicago is reinventing itself like it always does.
Chicaogo should boast about being able get up and wipe the dust off it's shoulders and rebound.
At any rate , Nice post and thank you for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago