Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,798 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Chicago near Roosevelt and get a new job in libertyville. I would prefer not driving.

My question is What would be my quickest option to get to Libertyville from Chicago using Metra. I could try to take a bus/shuttle to the nearest Metra station. Does this even sound practical?

I would appreciate any advice you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinastardust View Post
I'm living in Chicago near Roosevelt and get a new job in libertyville. I would prefer not driving.

My question is What would be my quickest option to get to Libertyville from Chicago using Metra. I could try to take a bus/shuttle to the nearest Metra station. Does this even sound practical?

I would appreciate any advice you may have!
This all depends on where you live in Chicago (Roosevelt is a long street), what times you need to go to and from work, and whether your employer is walking distance from a Metra station or has a shuttle. I recommend the "public transit" option for directions on google maps as well as Metra's website for figuring this out.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 AM

185 posts, read 595,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
This all depends on where you live in Chicago (Roosevelt is a long street), what times you need to go to and from work, and whether your employer is walking distance from a Metra station or has a shuttle. I recommend the "public transit" option for directions on google maps as well as Metra's website for figuring this out.
I agree that we need more detailed information. At least give us a major intersection where you are coming from and going to. That way, we could give you advice to actually get where you are going to/ coming from.

However, I would not use the google maps transit option for suburban transit. Unfortunately, google maps does not seem to know about any north suburban bus routes. All it knows about is Metra and CTA. I'm sure it used to know about Pace buses, but it no longer appears to.

As an example, if I ask it to tell me how to get from the Des Plaines Metra station to the Dempster Skokie Swift station at 9:00 am, it tells me to take a Metra Train to Jefferson Park, take the 92 Foster bus to the Red Line, take the Red Line to Howard, and then take the Yellow Line to Dempster. It doesn't know that the Pace 250 Dempster bus runs directly between the two stations.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM

62 posts, read 133,428 times
Roosevelt and what? This is like saying "I live on Ashland".

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,502,593 times
http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...p_planner.aspx

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
However, I would not use the google maps transit option for suburban transit. Unfortunately, google maps does not seem to know about any north suburban bus routes. All it knows about is Metra and CTA. I'm sure it used to know about Pace buses, but it no longer appears to.
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago