Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 PM

76 posts, read 278,973 times

Advertisements

Where do I find them and How much would they normally charge?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,217,678 times
You find them through a google search. They charge between $500 and $150,000, depending on the type of kitchen you want.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,684,237 times
I don't believe its legal to do that. I assume it's to prepare a garden rental unit.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
There is nothing that prevents someone from putting a kitchen in their basement in Chicago or anywhere else. If one does so without permits there are numerous downsides, most of which are likely to come into play when one attempts to sell the home.

It would be wiser to get the required permits to have a safe and conforming kitchen. The potential for one to unsafely attach plumbing to either water supplies or sewer lines ought not be taken lightly -- you can get very sick from containination from either... Similarly the potential to incorrectly hook up either a 220V electric range or a gas range resulting in a deadly situation is pretty high.

I would start be seeking referals from friends / neighbors / business associates / local real estate professionals...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

968 posts, read 2,670,301 times
^^ Very True ..I know of at least one restaurant in Chicago where the kitchen is in 'the basement' ..and it's all up to code ... not cheap, but ..

Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,229,160 times
A few of the Italian immigrants I know have kitchen basements that they always use instead of their actual kitchen.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks guys. What is the cost and how long does it take to get a permit?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,222,862 times
If you have architects plans you're probably looking at 3 to 6 weeks to get permits. It depends on how familiar your architect is with city codes and which offices have the shortest waits.

The cost? I think you really need to think about this a lot more if you're just throwing out questions about cost without details of what you're putting into this kitchen and what exists in the space already (especially electrical, gas, sewer, and water service). It could cost you $10-40,000 just to get services set up to install the kitchen. You also have to be very certain that the basement doesn't have issues with flooding. It's one thing to have a raw basement space that's used for storage flood, and a completely different thing to have a kitchen wiped out by basement flooding.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
If you have architects plans you're probably looking at 3 to 6 weeks to get permits. It depends on how familiar your architect is with city codes and which offices have the shortest waits.

The cost? I think you really need to think about this a lot more if you're just throwing out questions about cost without details of what you're putting into this kitchen and what exists in the space already (especially electrical, gas, sewer, and water service). It could cost you $10-40,000 just to get services set up to install the kitchen. You also have to be very certain that the basement doesn't have issues with flooding. It's one thing to have a raw basement space that's used for storage flood, and a completely different thing to have a kitchen wiped out by basement flooding.
Sorry for the lack of details. The basement has 2 separate exits, high ceiling, a lot of windows (above the ground). Everything (bathroom, heat, electrical, gas, sewer and water) is there but the kitchen. It's never had flooding issue. I have the cabinets, counter top, sink, faucet and appliances ready. This is for a small kitchen, no major work.

So with the permit, would the basement become a legal unit? Where can I find more details about getting the permits? I have very little knowledge in this matter so please bear with me.

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Having a kitchen is NOT the same as having a legally rentable unit. If your property is not zoned for a basement unit you need to apply for a zoning change. That is not just a building permit review, it is an opportunity for your alderman to get "input" into what is appropriate for your building,,,

Can get complicated. Make friends with your alderman and their staff. Take their suggestions about what firms to hire and who might need a campaign donation. Chicago is a wonderful place to learn about what is need to get ahead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago