Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 14,499 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I am new in Chicago and currently staying near 520 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605.

Can anyone help me to find any indian restaurant near by?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravs.ravi View Post
Hello Friends,

I am new in Chicago and currently staying near 520 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605.

Can anyone help me to find any indian restaurant near by?

Thanks in advance.
Nearby? Google tells me Tamarind on Wabash, Chicago Curry House on S State. There's also India House in River North, Vermillion near there (fusion though), and India Garden in Streeterville.

If you want more authentic Indian, you go up to Devon Avenue between California and Western, which is basically little India.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Nearby? Google tells me Tamarind on Wabash, Chicago Curry House on S State. There's also India House in River North, Vermillion near there (fusion though), and India Garden in Streeterville.

If you want more authentic Indian, you go up to Devon Avenue between California and Western, which is basically little India.
Tamarind does not have much Indian - it's pan-Asian, but mostly East Asian.

I'm not familiar with Chicago Curry House but it looks well-reviewed and is probably the closest decent place to you. The other really close place to you is Chutney Joe's which is a local guy's attempt to create sort of an Indian version of Panda Express. The food isn't too bad, but it's Americanized and the menu is pretty small.

India Houseis well-liked by my Indian co-workers. There's also Gaylord, about a block from the Hancock Tower, and Klay Oven on Orleans and Hubbard. All of these options are reasonably authentic, albeit somewhat Americanized (esp. Klay Oven). There's also Baba Village, at 310 S Canal, which has limited hours primarily to serve the office workers in the area. The food is reasonably good - my Indian coworkers go there sometimes. Downtown I'd probably recommend India House. It's not too far from you (20 minute walk or a short Red Line subway ride or short cab ride).

If you want other options, Marigold on Broadway St. near the Lawrence stop on the Red Line is a modern Indian restaurant. There there are a lot of Indian places up on Devon Ave. You can drive there, or take the Red Line to the Loyola stop and take the Devon bus west to the main concentration of Indian establishments.

There are also a number of places catering primarily to taxi drivers scattered around the Near North area. These places serve sort of a mix of South Asian, Central Asian and sometimes African foods. Places that fall into this category include Baba Palace (Indian food) on the corner of Chicago Ave and Orleans (a block from the Brown Line Chicago/Franklin station), Zaiqa at 858 N Orleans St (women customers only gudgingly served), a place at 211 W Walton St that used to be called Daavat, but I think had a name change.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
Klay Oven closed.

I don't know it's rep but I think Hema's is the only Devon restaurant with another outlet, Hema's II, in Lincoln Park.

Is Hema's good?

Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Klay Oven closed.

I don't know it's rep but I think Hema's is the only Devon restaurant with another outlet, Hema's II, in Lincoln Park.

Is Hema's good?
The one on Devon is pretty good..

Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 PM

43 posts, read 81,235 times
Paprika in Lincoln Square is the best Indian in the city. Not really the closest to you though.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 14,499 times
thx everyone !!!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 11,655 times
Taj Mahal in little Italy on west Taylor street, just east of ashland

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
The closest one to you is Chicago Curry House on Plymouth ct. in the South Loop. I have eaten there many times and its decent. I think they have a lunch buffet too.

Untitled Document

Old 06-30-2012, 11:50 PM

229 posts, read 468,703 times
Sabri Nihari on Devon Ave is a must for authentic Indian/pakistani food! Great place highly recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago