Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 14,793 times

Advertisements

Just an update, we ended up finding a gem of a condo in LP very close to the Armitage brown line stop. Still seems like too good of a deal to be true but we're really excited! No home security (ADT, etc.) so we're a little nervous about everything but hoping we don't have any issues. Thanks to everyone for their help and we're happy to say we're now Chicagoians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan88 View Post
Just an update, we ended up finding a gem of a condo in LP very close to the Armitage brown line stop. Still seems like too good of a deal to be true but we're really excited! No home security (ADT, etc.) so we're a little nervous about everything but hoping we don't have any issues. Thanks to everyone for their help and we're happy to say we're now Chicagoians!
Cool! Good area. You guys moved in already? About the security thing...are you renting or did you straight up buy the condo? Makes sense if renting, but if you bought it I'm sure you could put a security system in. Either way, it's in a good area, but immune from breakins like any part of the city. My suggestion is to not put anything FLASHY in the windows and lock your doors. Nobody would have a reason to break in. If they do, then it was probably semi random.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM

We haven't moved in yet since the condo wasn't available until Aug 1... we're still in St Louis for the next week and a half and will do corp short term housing until it's available but we're excited to be coming up. We're renting and will probably be renting for several more years until we can afford to purchase a condo we want which will be once we get student loans settled. Still considering seeing about covering cost of a system since they're nearly totally wireless now but we'll see how it goes!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan88 View Post
We haven't moved in yet since the condo wasn't available until Aug 1... we're still in St Louis for the next week and a half and will do corp short term housing until it's available but we're excited to be coming up. We're renting and will probably be renting for several more years until we can afford to purchase a condo we want which will be once we get student loans settled. Still considering seeing about covering cost of a system since they're nearly totally wireless now but we'll see how it goes!
That's cool. Congrats on finding a good place so fast! Since you're renting from the owner of a condo, maybe you could work something out for a security system, who knows. But yeah, if people can see it from the street, just don't leave anything ultra flashy through the windows and lock your doors. The area is good, but you "never know" since it's a big city.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 32,149 times
Cardsfan....may I ask how you were able to find your place?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
Congrats on the new place and thank you for updating us - too many people ask all kinds of questions and never let us know the result. I wouldn't worry too much about break ins if the condo is above the 1st floor.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDtoChicago View Post
Cardsfan....may I ask how you were able to find your place?
We actually ended up finding this place literally by walking around and calling numbers on "For Rent" signs. The guy we're renting from said it was supposed to go in the Reader that afternoon but until that point, it was just the sign out front so we got lucky. Craigslist was, IMO, crap since it was all management companies with complexes and we wanted a greystone type of building. We got pretty lucky on short notice which was nice but I definitely think if we ever look to move we'll take the same approach.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Congrats on the new place and thank you for updating us - too many people ask all kinds of questions and never let us know the result. I wouldn't worry too much about break ins if the condo is above the 1st floor.
Well.... we are on the first floor but given the area I'm not too concerned but it's still on my mind

I always see where no one gives updates so I figured I would break the trend!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Now you can have fun exploring around the neighborhood! I hope you scoped out a few places while you were here

Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Now you can have fun exploring around the neighborhood! I hope you scoped out a few places while you were here

Absolutely! Already found a few new joints to add to the already impressive list of affordable, delicious Chicago restaurants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago