Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,682,536 times

Advertisements

Everyone always says unilaterally to stay out of Humboldt Park, which there are some exceptions

It can be block by block, similar to living in Logan.

I knew a girl(!) who lived just west of the park and called Spaulding the Dividing line between sketch and non-sketch.
East of the park, had some really nice looking rehabs and what not.
And, I've had more than a few associates smattered within a stones throw (all east of Spaulding, mind you) of North and never really had any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,045,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Everyone always says unilaterally to stay out of Humboldt Park, which there are some exceptions

It can be block by block, similar to living in Logan.

I knew a girl(!) who lived just west of the park and called Spaulding the Dividing line between sketch and non-sketch.
East of the park, had some really nice looking rehabs and what not.
And, I've had more than a few associates smattered within a stones throw (all east of Spaulding, mind you) of North and never really had any issues.
This can be said about every area of the city, but you're not going to find most people moving to Englewood because one block seems relatively quiet. The truth is, HP is gang infested and if that doesn't bother you, go ahead and move there.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,578,653 times
I think HP's reputation matches reality pretty nicely...similar to my neighborhood, it's a large area, has nice areas and areas of intense gang activity, it's relatively convenient to other nice areas and most importantly it's priced accordingly.

Last edited by Aleking; 06-25-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 AM

400 posts, read 567,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I think HP's reputation matches reality pretty nicely...similar to my neighborhood, it's a large area, has nice area and areas of intense gang activity, it's relatively convenient to other nice areas and most importantly it's priced accordingly.
I agree with this. As we've seen over and over on here gang activity is everywhere in the city there is no "safe" spot. I really like Humboldt park but it make sense for it to have the reputation and prices that it does. It's never going to get closer to the "el" so it will always be second rate convenience (and west HP will always be behind east HP). The gang presence is not going away but it is a huge area with a lot of families and other concerned inhabitants that make for great neighbors. Granted I don't watch much news so I am not sure if the media over sensationalizes the negative events in HP beyond what it is.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 AM

43 posts, read 82,620 times
The one stretch of Humboldt Park that seems pretty decent is the area on North between Western and Rockwell...a handful of new shops and restaurants popping up along there...but outside of that, I haven't really seen anything that catches my eye (in a good way!) in Humboldt.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:18 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,892,328 times
Anyone who thinks HP is "sketch" now would die of fright if they could go back in time to the early 90s and walk around there on a Sat night. It has come so much further than most people give it credit for.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM

955 posts, read 1,834,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Anyone who thinks HP is "sketch" now would die of fright if they could go back in time to the early 90s and walk around there on a Sat night. It has come so much further than most people give it credit for.
Thankfully, Humboldt is a world away from what it once was. Beginning in the early 70's, it morphed into a mortal combat zone between several of the cities largest and most vicious gangs. It continued that way for near thirty more years. Only Englewood could rival the bodycount during that spell.

Most folks today could never imagine the kind of terror that was so common then. I frequented HP often in those days and was never comfortable in my own shoes there, no matter how hospitable my hosts were. It was the wild, wild west.

Today I'll park on Division street and nonchalantly visit one of my favorite PR restaurants with little or no apprehension. Yes, HP is a lot better than it was.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,140,845 times
I live in HP, and am lucky enough to live on a decent block w mostly good neighbors. HP as a whole has a ways to go, but things are getting better. Some parts of HP are very resistant to change though, and may never progress unfortunately, mostly south of grand and west of kimball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago