Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterlegs View Post
My roommate and I (both twenty-something Caucasian girls) are moving down to Chicago this summer from Milwaukee , her to find a job and me to go to grad school. After an exhaustive apartment search, we finally got a place on the corner of Division and Harding.

But she's starting to worry about the area we'll be in. The apartment building itself looks safe - it's got a gated courtyard and self-locking doors and whatnot, but she's lived in the suburbs forever and is panicking just a little.

So is Division and Harding a pretty good neighborhood? Is there any places we should know to be aware of or avoid?

Thanks for any advice you can give us!
For the life of me I can't imagine why two people would choose that area. What was the attraction? I think the people accusing this of being a fake post are probably right.

1) It's not near any highways
2) It's not near any CTA rail lines
3) It's not near any Metra lines
4) As near as I can tell, it's not near any universities offering grad programs
5) It's not near any jobs centers nor an easy commute to any

It is on the edge of the north sections of the same "K" streets that make up the notorious "K-town" on the southwest side. It's not actually as bad as the open-air drug markets of the "K-town" in the North Lawndale neighborhood, but it's still a troubled, drug-ridden area with few things that most people want access to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
I imagine (hope) the OP chose this location because of extreme financial constraints so we should probably pull back on the what were you thinking talk...that said, you can find affordable housing is much more desirable neighborhoods. And as much as everyone talks about crime (which is an issue but certainly mitigated by street smarts and not being involved in drugs) the extreme L distance is an even bigger issue for me....it's just not convenient to anywhere.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I imagine (hope) the OP chose this location because of extreme financial constraints so we should probably pull back on the what were you thinking talk...that said, you can find affordable housing is much more desirable neighborhoods. And as much as everyone talks about crime (which is an issue but certainly mitigated by street smarts and not being involved in drugs) the extreme L distance is an even bigger issue for me....it's just not convenient to anywhere.
You know, it's strange, but I've been seeing ads for this area and further west of the park where the rent isn't that cheap. I saw an ad for a 2 bedroom apartment right at that intersection for $1000/month. That's not particularly cheap considering that I've seen ads for 2 bedroom apartments for about $900 in Lincoln Sq., Andersonville, and the nicer areas of Logan Sq. I rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Uptown (a huge one, BTW) for that amount and even with its issues, Uptown is a better spot than Division and Harding. Granted, I don't know what sort of finishes are included in each location, but no amount of granite, stainless steel, or fancy lights could get me to choose that location. There seems to be a lot of clueless landlords out there (and even more clueless and downright deceptive realtors) who have done far too many upgrades and think they can up the rent to reflect that.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM

400 posts, read 566,375 times
(If the post is real which the OP's name also has me questioning)

This is what sucks about picking an apt at a distance. It can be done, (use street view, walkscore, crime maps, and forums) but if you just listen to the listing agent go on about whatever he can pull out as a positive and sign a lease you will be in for a big surprise. I was looking at houses in that area yesterday and I would not recommend it to this OP. There is nothing to walk to, and if there was you wouldn't really want to be out walking around very late. If possible go N to logan square or E to UK village you should be able to find something affordable (renting) there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: