Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windynostalgia View Post
Also, to the person who suggested Albany Park, how is the safety in that area?
I think there are safe areas and there are areas that aren't as safe. There are a handful of gangs operating in the area, but I think all but one have a small presence there. I'd be willing to bet Pilsen has near the same amount, but there's a bigger presence of more than just one I think.

IMO either area isn't as safe as the other, but that's just my opinion. Both areas have their pluses really. Pilsen is more Hispanic/Mexican and artistic, closer to the Loop (just a few stops on the Pink Line to the Loop), while AP is further away from the Loop, a little less Hispanic/Mexican than Pilsen but is more diverse (it is the most diverse neighborhood in Chicago and one of the most diverse in the entire US). You will find a ton of different cuisines in Albany Park you might not find in Pilsen, but that might not be important to you anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I used to live in Albany Park; it definitely feels a lot more Mexican than the data would show. There is no shortage of taquerias or those dudes pushing their carts around to sell you stuff.

I was a block from the Kedzie brown line stop. My rent was cheap ($685 for a 1br that included all utilities except for electric) but my apartment was burglarized and my car was broken in to. So, as always, your mileage may vary.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 PM

148 posts, read 425,464 times
I'm going to jump in here and recommend Albany Park as well. I think the north side overall is better in terms of transportation. You have the Brown Line, the Red Line, the Blue Line and every major street has a bus line. The Lawrence avenue bus is one of the bus lines that runs 24 hours a day. I'm referring specifically to the areas bounded by California on the east, Irving Park on the south, Lawrence to the north and Pulaski to the west. The area is overflowing with Mexican/Latino immigrants and families and churches in the area have Spanish speaking services. There is the Mexican Market on Kedzie and Berteau and another on Pulaski and Lawrence and another on Lawrence near Kedzie. All of the shops on Lawrence Avenue cater to the Latino community and there are always the neighborhood cart vendors serving corn on the cob. In terms of safety, I think your good if you keep your eyes open, keep your valubles close, and don't wander about at 4:00am. It is a very busy area. There are people walking about at all hours. Good luck. You will enjoy Chicago, it's a great place to live.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Why is there this mentality that Pilsen is not well served by public transit? Pink line and 60 bus takes you to the loop, 18 and Cermak busses take you E-W and to the red line, and Halsted, Ashland, Damen and Western busses going north and south. Boo hoo.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Hell, you could walk to the loop if so inclined.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windynostalgia View Post
And by "not so nice" you mean what?
Small, run-down, old appliances, no central heat, a little off the beaten path, etc.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Hell, you could walk to the loop if so inclined.
Yep, it's not a bad walk at all on a nice day.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why is there this mentality that Pilsen is not well served by public transit? Pink line and 60 bus takes you to the loop, 18 and Cermak busses take you E-W and to the red line, and Halsted, Ashland, Damen and Western busses going north and south. Boo hoo.
Yes, I would say it's one of the better-served neighborhoods for public transit, actually. Maybe people say that because the most trendy/gentrified part of the neighborhood, along Halsted, is a mile or more from the Pink Line, which is different from many Chicago neighborhoods where gentrification tends to begin near el stops. Even from 18th and Halsted, though, you can take the 18 bus west to the Pink Line or north and east to the Red Line in a matter of minutes if you don't want to walk.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
At that point, I'd just take a bus on Halsted north, then get off and walk east to my destination.

I used to walk farther than that when free street parking could still be had in Greektown, before the meter debacle.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
>IMO either area isn't as safe as the other

That's confusing.

I'd suggest Albany Park is the better choice. It's part of a much larger area (the middle North Side) that has a safe, mostly young professional vibe (less so in Albany Park itself) with a great many things to do and see. However, it might be a little more expensive than Pilsen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago