Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,562,578 times

Advertisements

While Id like to extend my condolences to the Wirtz family (especially Peter), may I say that Im praying that this is a new beginning for the Blackhawks.

Cheers! Here's to home games on TV!

LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,137,678 times
The first thing I thought when I heard that was "Thank God."

Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The first thing I thought when I heard that was "Thank God."
I did the same, but mainly for the Hawks, not Wirtz or his family.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:43 PM

450 posts, read 1,910,379 times
Certainly, condolences to the Wirtz family. Listening to Phil Esposito today on XM Home Ice, the man definitely had his very good points.

And I agree -- I hope this is a new beginning for the Blackhawks. I never agreed with the decision to not televise home games, and it seemed there was too much animosity between the fans and Wirtz for things to turn around.

So... if the Hawks are okay this year... does the fan support return? If not, what will it take for the support to return?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Certainly, condolences to the Wirtz family. Listening to Phil Esposito today on XM Home Ice, the man definitely had his very good points.

And I agree -- I hope this is a new beginning for the Blackhawks. I never agreed with the decision to not televise home games, and it seemed there was too much animosity between the fans and Wirtz for things to turn around.

So... if the Hawks are okay this year... does the fan support return? If not, what will it take for the support to return?
It took nearly a decade to kill the fanbase of one of the most supported teams in the NHL. It's not going to be rebuilt in a day, even if they are finally decent and become a fan friendly organization.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
It took nearly a decade to kill the fanbase of one of the most supported teams in the NHL. It's not going to be rebuilt in a day, even if they are finally decent and become a fan friendly organization.
Many, many, many people have instantly dropped their boycott after Wirtz's death and some even rushed to the ticket offices and many more even went and bought some sweaters. Read the boards on Chicago Blackhawks - The Official Web Site, www.wirtzsucks.com, HockeyBuzz.com, etc, and youll see how many people have actually decided to drop their boycott and start attending games again.

Here's to our Hawks!!! Cheers! May the old roar be ever present from here on out. May we make the playoffs (lol) and may Savvy bring us Lord Stanley's Cup to Chicago.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Many, many, many people have instantly dropped their boycott after Wirtz's death and some even rushed to the ticket offices and many more even went and bought some sweaters. Read the boards on Chicago Blackhawks - The Official Web Site, www.wirtzsucks.com, HockeyBuzz.com, etc, and youll see how many people have actually decided to drop their boycott and start attending games again.

Here's to our Hawks!!! Cheers! May the old roar be ever present from here on out. May we make the playoffs (lol) and may Savvy bring us Lord Stanley's Cup to Chicago.
Yeah, I'm one of them. I had a guy from the Hawks pestering me the last few weeks about ordering partial season tickets. I told him I wasn't buying any tickets until Wirtz sold the team. Well, he did one better and finally died on us, so now I'll be going to a few games (probably just the 5 game package at this point).

But still, even though it will be better, you're kidding yourself if you think next year will even be close to what it was in the 80's or early 90's.

Instead of 6,000, maybe they'll have 11,000 on weeknights. Maybe they can sell out a few non-detroit weekend games again. But we're not going to be seeing 20,000+ a night for years.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm one of them. I had a guy from the Hawks pestering me the last few weeks about ordering partial season tickets. I told him I wasn't buying any tickets until Wirtz sold the team. Well, he did one better and finally died on us, so now I'll be going to a few games (probably just the 5 game package at this point).

But still, even though it will be better, you're kidding yourself if you think next year will even be close to what it was in the 80's or early 90's.

Instead of 6,000, maybe they'll have 11,000 on weeknights. Maybe they can sell out a few non-detroit weekend games again. But we're not going to be seeing 20,000+ a night for years.
Noone is expecting an overnight change, thats for sure. But all the stars are aligned for a stellar future, its just up to the Hawks to win some games.

Also, the first home game is practically sold out.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Noone is expecting an overnight change, thats for sure. But all the stars are aligned for a stellar future, its just up to the Hawks to win some games.

Also, the first home game is practically sold out.
If whoever's in control of the hawks at this point has any brains, they will pull all strings to get that game on tv.

With Wirtz being gone and the promising youngsters on this team, I'm sure opening night will have an air of electricity the UC hasn't seen for years.

They'd do well to show off that atmosphere to all the Chicagoans who forgot that hockey existed.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,653,903 times
I think the earliest you could expect games on TV is next season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago