Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,048,436 times

Advertisements

Yes, and it will be something to the effect of "Let's all get behind President Romney and pull in the same direction to move the USA forward. I've enjoyed being your President for the last 4 years but it's time for a new chapter in my life"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Huh? It would be the same for any politician on election night. They have a location set up, media in place, supporters in place, etc. They can't move everything that night based on the outcome of the election, president or not. If Obama had lost in 2008, he wouldn't have just not shown up to Grant Park to talk to his supporters and the media. He would have shown up and given a concession speech.
Unless I am not remembering correctly, I do not recall other politicians elected in or from Illinois giving election night speeches from Grant Park. It is usually from a hotel ballroom. I'm not a hater nor am I a rah-rah fan. Unless he pays for it or returns favors in kind, why should we bear the expense?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,229,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Unless I am not remembering correctly, I do not recall other politicians elected in or from Illinois giving election night speeches from Grant Park. It is usually from a hotel ballroom. I'm not a hater nor am I a rah-rah fan. Unless he pays for it or returns favors in kind, why should we bear the expense?
The Obama campaign paid for the Grant Park speech in 2008. If he wants to hold another rally there, it will be paid for by his campaign again.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 28,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Yes, and it will be something to the effect of "Let's all get behind President Romney and pull in the same direction to move the USA forward. I've enjoyed being your President for the last 4 years but it's time for a new chapter in my life"

Hahaha. Good one. Romney 2012.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,925,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Native 773 View Post
Hahaha. Good one. Romney 2012.
He certainly has the international SuperPAC money to buy the election, but his handlers are going to have to turn him into a less wooden, less out-of-touch, more human candidate to stand a chance. They've failed so far, but they have some time. It will be interesting to see if they pull it off.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 PM

396 posts, read 926,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I would anticipate the speech being a bit more low-key this time around, regardless of the result.

If Obama does manage to win, I anticipate the GOP picking up the Senate and maintaining their advantage in the House meaning things will likely be even uglier than they are right now in DC.
Whats so bad about that? It worked under Clinton's terms (republican house/senate). If Obama is smart, he will play it cool and compromise (like Clinton did). But Obama has been such an arrogant pr_ck towards the republicans that he'll have a hard time doing it.

Or do you want a democratic house/senate supermajority again like we had in 2006 up to 2010 (yea, that turned out great... the worst years of our economy in recent times)

Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,229,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Whats so bad about that? It worked under Clinton's terms (republican house/senate). If Obama is smart, he will play it cool and compromise (like Clinton did). But Obama has been such an arrogant pr_ck towards the republicans that he'll have a hard time doing it.

Or do you want a democratic house/senate supermajority again like we had in 2006 up to 2010 (yea, that turned out great... the worst years of our economy in recent times)
I'm not saying anything would be bad about it, just that things in Washington would be incredibly ugly. And to act like Republicans haven't been outright hostile towards Obama since before he was even elected president is incredibly dishonest.

To pin the economy on Dems is just as bad as well, both parties and Wall Street were all involved in the collapse. I don't even care who wins at this point, I don't think it really matters. I don't find there to be much of a difference between either party at this point.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,048,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
He certainly has the international SuperPAC money to buy the election, but his handlers are going to have to turn him into a less wooden, less out-of-touch, more human candidate to stand a chance. They've failed so far, but they have some time. It will be interesting to see if they pull it off.

I find it interesting that people bring up the fact that Romney has wealthy donors and is building a pretty good financial war chest for the election yet they fail to mention that BO is doing the exactly the same thing with his wealthy, liberal donors. Let's be fair and balance about this.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,925,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I find it interesting that people bring up the fact that Romney has wealthy donors and is building a pretty good financial war chest for the election yet they fail to mention that BO is doing the exactly the same thing with his wealthy, liberal donors. Let's be fair and balance about this.
They both have plenty, to be sure, but Romney is outpacing Obama by far, and experts on both sides of the isle expect that to continue. No POV intended here, just looking at the numbers.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I'm not saying anything would be bad about it, just that things in Washington would be incredibly ugly. And to act like Republicans haven't been outright hostile towards Obama since before he was even elected president is incredibly dishonest.

To pin the economy on Dems is just as bad as well, both parties and Wall Street were all involved in the collapse. I don't even care who wins at this point, I don't think it really matters. I don't find there to be much of a difference between either party at this point.
This is all correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago