Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonOso View Post
This is not a good area. There's still significant gang activity. You have Netas, Latin Kings and others.

Yes you also have yuppies and middle class, but only because they don't have better options. Property values started cratering in 2009, when folks started moving to the more established areas (when prices dropped in those areas).

Improving area, but I would take a pass. Stick to established North Side areas (esp. south of Belmont and east of Western).
Pfft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityChiCity View Post
I'm considering making an offer on this live in investment property in Irving Park right by the Addision Blue Line stop. It's really close to the John Murphy Elementary school and Independence Park.

What can you guys tell me about the area in term of renting, ethnic groups, gentrification, future real estate value and accessibility to nightlife, restaurants, entertainments ... ?

Thank you
I'll just say the Independence Park farmers' market Sunday was jam-packed, very nice area IMO.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM

83 posts, read 240,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonOso View Post
This is not a good area. There's still significant gang activity. You have Netas, Latin Kings and others.

Yes you also have yuppies and middle class, but only because they don't have better options. Property values started cratering in 2009, when folks started moving to the more established areas (when prices dropped in those areas).

Improving area, but I would take a pass. Stick to established North Side areas (esp. south of Belmont and east of Western).
May be you were talking about Avondale area. Western Avondale is pretty ghetto. I'd love to buy a property near lincoln park, lake view, north center but they are too expensive and can not generate cashflow.

I'm curious based on what facts, you stated your opinions about the area that way?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:46 PM

83 posts, read 240,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes.

$1400 may be a bit of a stretch unless it's in really nice condition with all the latest updates and central A/C and what-not. It's a nice quiet neighborhood but it's not quite an "in-demand" neighborhood. It's not a totally unrealistic asking price so the worst you can do is start advertising it at $1400, and if you don't get any bites, lower the asking price incrementally until you do. The housing stock is a solid mix of owner-occupied homes and rental stock (two- and three-flats with the occasional 6-unit building here and there) so the area is on the rental-market radar.
When you said not quite an "in-demand", did you mean it would be difficult to rent out a floor that is really nice with big sunny rooms and a lot of windows but no latest and greatest updates, just regular rental quality deco, gas heat, no central air?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,852 times
Quote:
May be you were talking about Avondale area. Western Avondale is pretty ghetto.
Do you really think Kozy's would open its largest bike "supercenter" in the ghetto?

They started in LV and LP, so I think they know the score.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,324,342 times
Quote:
May be you were talking about Avondale area. Western Avondale is pretty ghetto. I'd love to buy a property near lincoln park, lake view, north center but they are too expensive and can not generate cashflow.

I'm curious based on what facts, you stated your opinions about the area that way?
West Avondale ghetto? Uhm no. Shady, gritty, ugly, are words that could work, but ghetto is not one of them. If you think Avondale is ghetto, then you have never really been to a ghetto.

Austin, now that is truly a ghetto. Avondale looks like kindergarten compared to Austin.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,936,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
West Avondale ghetto? Uhm no. Shady, gritty, ugly, are words that could work, but ghetto is not one of them. If you think Avondale is ghetto, then you have never really been to a ghetto.

Austin, now that is truly a ghetto. Avondale looks like kindergarten compared to Austin.
I've got a PBS dvd about Chicago's neighborhoods, which was filmed as basically a tour around the city using the subway lines. The narrator described Austin as " middle-class"; this DVD was also made around 2003-2005. Was he being kind, or has it declined that much over 5-7 years?

I should also mention that this DVD made no mention of Englewood, and brushed over the South Side pretty quickly ( outside of Chatham and the old Stockyards/Bridgeport, etc..

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,682,947 times
I would call Avondale working class Mexican, long long before I'd call it ghetto.

Unless you're moving into the area and getting in the drug business, you'll probabaly be left alone.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,324,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I would call Avondale working class Mexican, long long before I'd call it ghetto.

Unless you're moving into the area and getting in the drug business, you'll probabaly be left alone.
I think that rings more true west of the expressway. East of the Kennedy, it can get pretty white and Puerto Rican with Mexican mixed in. The eastern portion of Avondale mimics more eastern Logan Square while the western portion does not. That's what's so nice about neighborhoods, even within them they offer different experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago