Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:58 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times

Advertisements

I was reading some of the positive comments that came from out-of-town press about our city during the NATO summit.

While the observations were varied, there seem to have been some common threads: clean, walkable, organized, nicely scaled, etc.

it got me thinking. those factors could exist on their own, but how many of them are actually enhanced by the city's flatness?

this is going to be a real perspective shaker, a totally unexpected paradigm, an assault on conventional wisdom, but I think it is real:

Chicago is a beautiful celebration of flatness.

And for many, CW says not to value flatness. but it's wrong

San Francisco is the poster child for hills, the place that does them with an art form that none can compare.

But Chicago is the poster child for flatness. And flatness has its own rewards.

In Chicago, the very flatness works in the progression of lake, beach, park and soaring skyline behind. It is the city's flat surface that highlights the skyline, makes it the focal point, allows it to be viewed over an enormous landscape in city and suburb alike.

It's flatness that offers the ideal survive for any building project. It is flatness that contributes to the walkability of the city and the way that one neighborhood seamlessly flows into another.

I love hills, but I prefer Chicago's flatness to other relatively flat cities where there is a slight roll to the land. It is so unifying, so drawing together, so inviting to walk or bike. It so drives one on: keep walking, keep biking.

Like river and lake, I just can't imagine Chicago without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I think you are on to something and I am glad you made these observations. I do like rolling countryside outside of a city but I really do not like hilly cities other than to look at and vacation in. I would not want to live in one. San Fran is pretty but when you try to negotiate all the hills and try to do stuff it quickly can wear you down. Similarly in LA the hills are pretty but many of the highways are in built in the bottoms valley like areas and funnel the smog there and create traffic congestion. I actually love how chicago is laid out.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
Flatness totally rocks.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
i thought the flat landscape would be something i would have to get used to after moving here...but I actually like it. It has it's own charm. I drove to Indy from Chicago to visit family and driving in the flat country and being able to see woods miles away is almost creepy in a way and really cool, especially at dusk and in the fall. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hills as much as the next person, but there are positives to both

Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Flat cities - cool
Flat country side - bland

Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
When I moved to Pittsburgh it took me 2 weeks to get acclimated to just walking around town. I find Pittsburgh's layout much more interesting and it's neat to see how the built environment is affected by the terrain. But man is it a pain in the ass figuring out how to get anywhere, especially since I was there before GPS was ubiquitous. I lived there for 7 months before I knew which direction my front door faced, and I had to look on a map to figure it out. There were streets I used almost daily the entire time I lived there that I still didn't know the names of because you generally navigate by landmark rather than by street name.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When I moved to Pittsburgh it took me 2 weeks to get acclimated to just walking around town. I find Pittsburgh's layout much more interesting and it's neat to see how the built environment is affected by the terrain. But man is it a pain in the ass figuring out how to get anywhere, especially since I was there before GPS was ubiquitous. I lived there for 7 months before I knew which direction my front door faced, and I had to look on a map to figure it out. There were streets I used almost daily the entire time I lived there that I still didn't know the names of because you generally navigate by landmark rather than by street name.
Absolutely. Boston's the same way--you learn subway stops and squares rather than street names. Landmarks are important, too.

There are times when a flat surface comes in handy. Driving around SF with a standard shift transmission is a sure way to burn out a clutch in a few weeks, not to mention having a few nervous moments holding your position on a steep hill..

Last edited by MassVt; 05-24-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Absolutely. Boston's the same way--you learn subway stops and squares rather than street names. Landmarks are important, too.

There are times when a flat surface comes in handy. Driving around SF with a standard shift transmission is out sure way to burn out a clutch in a few weeks, not to mention having a few nervous moments holding your position on a steep hill..
I recently drove an Alfa (manuel of course) that had a technology that stopped the car from rolling backwards on hills. Piedmont is quite hilly so it was awesome!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

There are times when a flat surface comes in handy. Driving around SF with a standard shift transmission is a sure way to burn out a clutch in a few weeks, not to mention having a few nervous moments holding your position on a steep hill..
Maybe I'm a bit psycho, but I loved driving stick shift in San Francisco. Just like I really miss the driving experience in Boston (This book became my bible.) It gets the adrenaline going and really separates the boys from the men!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Driving in Boston is not for the faint of heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago