Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 AM

26 posts, read 51,617 times

Advertisements

Couple of questions for you guys:

1.How long do I have after I move to Chicago to change my Driver's License? Is Chicago pretty strict on the rule?

2.Do I need to take a road test again for the change in DL?

3.Do I need to change the title to my name as well even though I do not own the car?

4. Are there any free/cheap parking space around Chicago's Essex Inn by Grant Park?

On a side note, I just realized that my move is gonna cost me close to $1000 alone and this is with me driving the rental truck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM

968 posts, read 2,684,579 times
For number 1 , check cyberdriveillinois .. they have a page on DL change requirements , because it varies depending on whether you're military, etc .. I thought it was 90 days , but double check ..
For number 2 , probably no Road Test .. you will need to take a written test when you switch over..it's pretty easy ..
For number 3 , not sure what you mean by not owning the car ..if it' s just financed, but registered to you, you'll need to change the registration over to Illinois ..same link as question 1 .. and, depending on where you live, you'll probably need to purchase a city/village sticker ..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 AM

439 posts, read 961,207 times
I've lived here over 4 years and still have my New York license.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,113,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyfiber12 View Post
Couple of questions for you guys:

1.How long do I have after I move to Chicago to change my Driver's License? Is Chicago pretty strict on the rule?

2.Do I need to take a road test again for the change in DL?

3.Do I need to change the title to my name as well even though I do not own the car?

4. Are there any free/cheap parking space around Chicago's Essex Inn by Grant Park?

On a side note, I just realized that my move is gonna cost me close to $1000 alone and this is with me driving the rental truck...

1. TECHNICALLY speaking, you have to do it within 90 days...

2. I don't own a car, but since I do consulting, I still wanted it so I finally changed over my license to Illinois about a year ago. No road test, but there is a written test of about 30 questions when I took it at least. 10 of the questions were basically blank signs, and you had to match words to signs. Probably 5 or 6 other questions were on Illinois DUI/DWI laws, some more on some Illinois speed limit stuff, and then the rest were on standard driving stuff (what to do if you start hydroplaning, etc).

You will need your birth certifficate and license from your current state...and I think also your Social Security ID...and something like a utility bill or official letter written to your new address from some institution. I think the test was like $30 or $40. You can go to the basement of the Thompson Center in the Loop to take it...it's near the food court. The good thing about Illinois is that they print up your ID card right after you pass..so there's no waiting around (well, 5 minutes) for it.

Booklet: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_a112.pdf

Moving can cost a lot. It sucks you broke your hand/arm/whatever and have to pay extra for movers :\

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,632,641 times
If you have been involved in car accidents that has been your fault you might have to take a drivers test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: