Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 AM

317 posts, read 820,130 times

Advertisements

I finalized my trip to Chicago for a week. I was originally going to book a hotel on Diversey near the Lincoln Park, but got a better deal at a different location.

I will now be on Ohio St and N Michigan Ave near Magnificent Mile, is this a good location for a first time visitor?

Along with the usual tourist activities I also would like to explore the non-tourist areas and would still like to see the Lincoln Park area and Bar Hop near Wrigley Field<--which I was told has many bars and would be a good time.

So did I make a good choice in location change?

What is in the area around Ohio St/ N Michigan Ave or reachable by train (which a stop is near my hotel)?

Thanks for any Info!

Last edited by traveler36; 05-05-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 AM

578 posts, read 1,093,435 times
That's a good location. However are you at the Ohio house ??? Is so well I wouldn't stay there. The lowest end hotel in Chicago downtown . Try the Lincoln park it's just been renovated and is in a pretty conv location as well. Just saying

Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,217,723 times
Either area is great - sounds like you're staying at the Marriott (unless you found some deal at the Intercontinental). My sister stayed there a few weeks ago when she was in town for a conference and it was fine. Clark and Lake will be the closest stop for the Blue Line and Grand/State is the closest for the Red Line. State and Lake is closest for Brown or Orange lines.

There are dozens of areas in Chicago that have loads of bars, so Wrigleyville doesn't need to be your destination unless you like sports bars full of people in town to see the Cubs (nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is). Around Wrigley The Gingerman or Goose Island brewpub are decent. If you can describe the types of bars you're looking for I'm sure we can give you a good idea of neighborhoods to check out.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
That's a good location. However are you at the Ohio house ??? Is so well I wouldn't stay there. The lowest end hotel in Chicago downtown . Try the Lincoln park it's just been renovated and is in a pretty conv location as well. Just saying
Im at the Inn of Chicago . Their website and video tour says it just underwent a renovation and it looks really modern, also its got a skydeck on the 27 floor a gym, cafe and a bar on location. I hope they have a happy hour that would be a great money saver before I hit the nightlife.....Have you heard of the hotel before?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Either area is great - sounds like you're staying at the Marriott (unless you found some deal at the Intercontinental). My sister stayed there a few weeks ago when she was in town for a conference and it was fine. Clark and Lake will be the closest stop for the Blue Line and Grand/State is the closest for the Red Line. State and Lake is closest for Brown or Orange lines.

There are dozens of areas in Chicago that have loads of bars, so Wrigleyville doesn't need to be your destination unless you like sports bars full of people in town to see the Cubs (nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is). Around Wrigley The Gingerman or Goose Island brewpub are decent. If you can describe the types of bars you're looking for I'm sure we can give you a good idea of neighborhoods to check out.
Im not a big sports fan so im open to a closer bar scene. I was just told in a previous thread it was close to my previous choice...Im 29, so I like a similar aged crowd Im past hanging around the newbie 21yr old party goers and I like chill dive bars with good prices...I live in Miami so having not to pay $20 for a watered down drink or $10 for a beer would be nice.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Im at the Inn of Chicago . Their website and video tour says it just underwent a renovation and it looks really modern, also its got a skydeck on the 27 floor a gym, cafe and a bar on location. I hope they have a happy hour that would be a great money saver before I hit the nightlife.....Have you heard of the hotel before?
I've stayed at the Inn of Chicago before I moved here. It really is a good hotel for the price. Rooms are clean, modern and the location is great. The price is great too and they have a nice little coffee/pastry joint connected to the lobby. It's not "fancy", but its clean and very comfortable. It will be very easy to hop on the Red Line and go north to see Lincoln Park, Lakeview (Get off at the Belmont stop on the Red Line) and Wrigleyville (Addison stop on the redline). The Brown and Red lines will take you to the Lincoln Park and Lakeview areas. My favorite neighborhood is Lakeview (plan on moving there soon, currently living in Wicker Park). You can also transfer from the Brown to Red line and vice versa easily. The bars will be everywhere, especially in LP, LV and near Wrigley. Take to Blue Line to the Damen stop to see Wicker Park. Definitely worth a visit. If this is your first time in the city, walk from the John Hancock tower south down Michigan avenue until you get to the bridge/Chicago river. I still think that is one of the best views you can get of a city anywhere in the country. Go to the Signature Room on the 96th floor of the John Hancock building for a stunning view, especially at night (don't pay to go to the observation deck which is only one floor higher, just go to the Signature Lounge and buy a drink for an equally awesome view). This is very close to your hotel as well (a few blocks).

One of my favorite things to do is to go to Belmont Harbor and jog south along the lakefront until North Avenue Beach. The view of the city is great and you are literally right on the water, which is nice for exercise/cooling off with the breeze/mist.

Edit...oh and get Intelligensia Coffee on North Broadway in lakeview

Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,179,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post

What is in the area around Ohio St/ N Michigan Ave or reachable by train (which a stop is near my hotel)?

Thanks for any Info!
Google Maps

Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,217,723 times
I'd definitely do an architectural cruise, and for a free thing check out Millenium Park and the Cultural Center (http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/supporting_narrative/attractions/dca_tourism/Chicago_Cultural_Center.html - broken link) across the street from the park (the Tiffany Dome there is awesome). The Museum of Contemporary Photography and the Chicago Architectural Foundation are also free and worth checking out.

For food I'd forget about hot dogs and pizza. If you can get Vienna Beef dogs and decent poppy seed buns you can do a good Chicago Dog at home. Deep dish pizza actually freezes pretty well, and can be done at home as well. Plenty of good places ship frozen pizzas, Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, and Giordano's all ship pizzas that are solid and will give you 90% of the experience of eating a fresh one. If you really want to check out either one while here go to Lou Malnati's on Wells or Portillo's at Clark/Ontario.

A few good places for cheap eats downtown are XOCO, Slurping Turtle, and Frontera (although it frequently has long waits). Purple Pig, Cafe Spiaggia, and the Gage are really good options for a bit of money (but not over the top pricey). The Publican is awesome for all meals, and they take reservations for brunch, which is kind of rare for the good brunch places. Sunday brunch at the Publican is awesome.

At night I'd definitely suggest getting out of downtown and heading North on the Red Line one night and North on the Blue Line another night. I'll try to find some time to post suggestions for those tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago