Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see more nightlife in the downtown area. I know part of the west loop area is the financial district and then also the central loop area. But people go indoors too quick at night simply because there isn't much with nightlife in the general downtown area. If there'd be more things open later into the night, I think that would definitely help. Something to enhance the nightlife to get the streets a little more active at night would be great sight to see in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I'd like to see more nightlife in the downtown area. I know part of the west loop area is the financial district and then also the central loop area. But people go indoors too quick at night simply because there isn't much with nightlife in the general downtown area. If there'd be more things open later into the night, I think that would definitely help. Something to enhance the nightlife to get the streets a little more active at night would be great sight to see in downtown.
For the people that live downtown or in general? Because almost every city in this country has a dead downtown and an active nightlife area elsewhere or within a small portion of downtown, usually in an older part where it is easy to take over older buildings.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
It kind of makes sense to have nightlife and office districts overlap, since they have nearly polar opposite use times. It would be an efficient use of space. Of course a lot of office buildings wouldn't like the security implications, but from a use standpoint it does make sense.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^That's certainly true, but I also think a lot of people don't want to go out anywhere near work. Maybe I just hate my job (and I do) but I will go out of my way to avoid going by my office building on the weekends. I prefer to pretend Monday doesn't exist.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For the people that live downtown or in general? Because almost every city in this country has a dead downtown and an active nightlife area elsewhere or within a small portion of downtown, usually in an older part where it is easy to take over older buildings.
Both, but more for the people that live in downtown. I, for example, sometimes go up to the north burbs to some of the bars and stuff that are open because the loop area always closes down pretty early.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Both, but more for the people that live in downtown. I, for example, sometimes go up to the north burbs to some of the bars and stuff that are open because the loop area always closes down pretty early.
That's ridiculous. There are 4am bars in the city yet you think because the Loop closes up early you have to go all the way to the North Shore? You're just making yourself look uninformed about what the city has to offer.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
That's ridiculous. There are 4am bars in the city yet you think because the Loop closes up early you have to go all the way to the North Shore? You're just making yourself look uninformed about what the city has to offer.
I'm assuming that's just because he must live in the north suburbs. Obviously people who live in the city aren't going to leave downtown and go to the burbs just because there isn't a lot going on downtown. He's just going out closer to home, I see that among most metra people. They will stay downtown and drink with us, but then when we suggest hitting up some places on the north side (since that's where most of it is located), the metra people all sigh and say they might as well go home and hit up a bar closer to their house. They're already miles from home at work, and the thought of going far away from the metra stations is too much for them to handle as far as getting back downtown from Belmont at 10pm and making sure they get their train.

Anyone who works downtown with metra folk certainly knows the "Ok....I either have to leave right now or in 2 hours". They get all fussy cause they're afraid they'll wait till the next train then everyone will leave to go up north right away and they're screwed downtown. "Promise you won't leave!".

I leave downtown not because there's nothing to do, but because I work there all day and I want to get into the more relaxing and attractive neighborhoods within a few hours of finishing up work. Most people I'm friends with who work downtown also live on the north side. We obviously like to go out up there after dark just because it's closer to home when 1am rolls around as opposed to still being in the loop.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm assuming that's just because he must live in the north suburbs. Obviously people who live in the city aren't going to leave downtown and go to the burbs just because there isn't a lot going on downtown. He's just going out closer to home, I see that among most metra people. They will stay downtown and drink with us, but then when we suggest hitting up some places on the north side (since that's where most of it is located), the metra people all sigh and say they might as well go home and hit up a bar closer to their house. They're already miles from home at work, and the thought of going far away from the metra stations is too much for them to handle as far as getting back downtown from Belmont at 10pm and making sure they get their train.

Anyone who works downtown with metra folk certainly knows the "Ok....I either have to leave right now or in 2 hours". They get all fussy cause they're afraid they'll wait till the next train then everyone will leave to go up north right away and they're screwed downtown. "Promise you won't leave!".

I leave downtown not because there's nothing to do, but because I work there all day and I want to get into the more relaxing and attractive neighborhoods within a few hours of finishing up work. Most people I'm friends with who work downtown also live on the north side. We obviously like to go out up there after dark just because it's closer to home when 1am rolls around as opposed to still being in the loop.
Now this makes much more sense. Whenever I stayed downtown when visiting Chicago I always found a place to drink around there, plus the Near North area is an easy walk to anything in that area. Plus any of the neighborhoods on the Northside that are along any of the lines that run late into the night, especially the Red Line, are all great options as well seeing it isn't hard getting back downtown from those areas.

And I agree with you, I would never want to hand out near where I worked. I have a rule that I don't ever enter within a three block radius of work when I am not suppose to be at work.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Now this makes much more sense. Whenever I stayed downtown when visiting Chicago I always found a place to drink around there, plus the Near North area is an easy walk to anything in that area. Plus any of the neighborhoods on the Northside that are along any of the lines that run late into the night, especially the Red Line, are all great options as well seeing it isn't hard getting back downtown from those areas.

And I agree with you, I would never want to hand out near where I worked. I have a rule that I don't ever enter within a three block radius of work when I am not suppose to be at work.
Well I'm screwed then - I'm always at work - I work from home! It's actually fine.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:58 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
If you want to read why Streeterville, River North, and the South Loop have a brighter future than Gurnee, Naperville, and Schaumburg, read here:

How Millennials Are Driving the Great Migration of the 21st Century | Alternet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago