Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM

40 posts, read 170,048 times

Advertisements

I live in Oak Park with my 9 year old daughter, and she's really fast. She loves to run and I think this is her ticket to a full scholarship one day. Can anyone recommend good track and field programs? It can be in Chicago as long as they allow non-city residents to run and preferably, not more than a 45 minute drive from OP.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Here are the records from the IHSA site --

Records & History

No clear pattern, though Evanston Township has probably the largest tradition of record holders. Might be worth thinking about moving ...

Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM

161 posts, read 211,416 times
York and Fenwick are good as a whole.

But as far as Track and Field goes, you do not need the school to be good to get a scholarship.

Check out the AAU website:

AAU Athletics > Home

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Are you looking for a track club? There are quite a few in the area.

USATF - Clubs - Search

Or best h.s. for track? Cross county is definitely York.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Everyone, his daughter is NINE. Why are you posting stats about high school track teams?

He obviously wants info about private track teams, similar to AAU basketball or "travel" baseball and soccer teams.
gerdener34, nice list.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The IHSA is the authoritative source for information about atheletics related to school age children. There are a wide range of feeder programs / travel teams for things like soccer, baseball, football and other team sports as well as some communities that have a tradition of fostering good individual atheltic performance like swimming. There is some history among ETHS in track and field and it is true that York HS had a tradition of cross country success that parallelled coach Joe Newton's FIVE decades of boys cross country coaching -- Coach Newton « The Long Green Line Movie so it makes sense to think about what elements a parent could draw from those programs, including perhaps relocating.

Organized youth sports in Illinois rarely have "developmental efforts" for kids prior to middle school especially in track & field...

Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Jesus Christ!

The very first track club I chose in gardener34's link was to the Aurora Track Club, which clearly states that they have track and field programs starting at age 8.

So to the OP, no need for you to "relocate" from Oak Park in pursuit of your dream for your daughter. And no need for you to wait until middle or high school either. Follow the links and you will find a program that suits your needs.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 143,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The IHSA is the authoritative source for information about atheletics related to school age children.
That's why it's called the Illinois High School Association, it's specifically for high school aged children.

As for OP, you'd have to identify what sort of runner your girl is: a sprinter or distance runner. I would suggest otherwise and against the ideas everyone else has suggested about enlisting her in an elite school or elite academy; just because they produce top-tier athletes does not mean your daughter will join their ranks as well. It takes time, effort and commitment to get great times on whatever event your daughter would hypothetically be running.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 11,117 times
Default running for your daughter

Hello, I have been online for an hour searching sites for the same thing. Did you ever find anything for your daughter. My daughter is 5 and LOVES to run with a competitive spirit. We too are near Oak Park but in the city. Thanks, Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzall View Post
I live in Oak Park with my 9 year old daughter, and she's really fast. She loves to run and I think this is her ticket to a full scholarship one day. Can anyone recommend good track and field programs? It can be in Chicago as long as they allow non-city residents to run and preferably, not more than a 45 minute drive from OP.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,590 times
Default Oswego or Hoffen Estates!!

i currently go to New Trier High School and i run, jump, and throw. every time was competed in an invite(indoor and outdoor), oswego and hoffman estates are the schools to beat. completely beat everyone in all events. they breed athletes lol it might beneficial looking into the programs those schools have! ive had friends move to hoffman estates and they've said they have an amazing coaching staff there.

Also, if you really think she has talent, i would sign her up for a private track and field club where she can complete at a higher level. competing at such a high level can be stressful and can be hard to get used to if you havent been in that type of environment. i started really getting into it my sophomore year and have had to catch up and i have. busting my ass every day and on off seasons and it has benefited me tremendously. but i wish my parents would've signed me up for programs when i younger. i promise she'll thank you later on in life when she's holding up that beautiful state medal around her neck. it feels so good and its well worth it, trust me!

best of luck!

monique
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago