Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM

10,260 posts, read 21,867,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
ROFL! I sure hope you're joking. I can just see those sheep and cattle wandering onto the expressways and causing more accidents.
Ah, but I have a free market solution. Since it's in the herdsmen's interest to not let their animals be killed by traffic they'll prevent it, right? Wait, if that were true we'd almost never have accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM

665 posts, read 1,247,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
While neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the idea behind your statement, must say this:

Just what did you think happened to the 200,000 people, mostly poor, black people, Chicago lost from 2000 to 2010?
alot of them are back n the city which why working classs hoods like chatam are getting worse. I know alot of them ended up in danville and iowa city but they sent then there in clusters they need to be spread out more evenly through the burbs and small towns of the midwest to break the culture of poverty.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,591,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
alot of them are back n the city which why working classs hoods like chatam are getting worse. I know alot of them ended up in danville and iowa city but they sent then there in clusters they need to be spread out more evenly through the burbs and small towns of the midwest to break the culture of poverty.

100% false and you can't even spell the 'hoods name. Chatham is losing population, the south/west sides are hollowing out and it's not going to stop.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM

14,796 posts, read 17,814,398 times
Quote:
Robert Taylor Homes once had 25,000 residents alone. That site may have 500 people today. Most have left Chicago and probably Illinois.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

665 posts, read 1,247,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
100% false and you can't even spell the 'hoods name. Chatham is losing population, the south/west sides are hollowing out and it's not going to stop.
i know Chatham is loosing population,but the crime is way worse, now that there is more section 8. I use to live between cottage and stony Island on 87th in the 90's and never heard a gunshot. All the craziness happen on 79th or in Jeffery manor.
Now there are gun shots weekly,alot of the population is working class and middle class blk running to the south or west suburbs,and blk retirees moving to vegas.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,591,108 times
Quote:
i know Chatham is loosing population,but the crime is way worse, now that there is more section 8. I use to live between cottage and stony Island on 87th in the 90's and never heard a gunshot. All the craziness happen on 79th or in Jeffery manor.
Now there are gun shots weekly,alot of the population is working class and middle class blk running to the south or west suburbs,and blk retirees moving to vegas.

not disputing that it's getting worse but not for the reasons you said.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verlander_1 View Post
This is totally wrong.

There have been many studies of relocated public housing residents. The vast majority still live within Chicago city limits, but in Sec. 8 housing.

The blacks who have left the city tend to be middle class, and are fleeing their new Sec. 8 neighbors. Same goes for the working class whites fleeing the city (everyone talks about black flight, but Chicago lost about 60,000 whites according to the last Census).
The CHA doesn't have enough section 8 vouchers for all those people.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verlander_1 View Post
That's impossible, because CHA has been demolishing many buildings with Fed approval.

You don't get approval from HUD unless you promise to replace the destroyed housing.

So, unless CHA is building new replacement projects, they have to give out Sec. 8 vouchers on a 1:1 basis.
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The CHA does not get 1:1 vouchers.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM

578 posts, read 1,097,413 times
Default They're in the burbs

What happened to the displaced poor ?? Have you been to Aurora or Bolingbrook and seen the "apartment" families. I believe I've found them. Daley didn't want the poor in his city. Cabrini green was a place I was afraid to drive through 10 years ago. Now people walk their dogs and jog through most of it. Progress !!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,694,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
While neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the idea behind your statement, must say this:

Just what did you think happened to the 200,000 people, mostly poor, black people, Chicago lost from 2000 to 2010?
sauk village, dolton, harvey and unicorporated maine township

- Chicago Sun-Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago