Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

There is always the Illinois Beach State Park and the beaches in Evanston.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Tuesday afternoon I had the best beach afternoon I've had in a long time. I went to Foster Beach around 2:30pm. It was mid-to-high 80s with a light breeze. The sand was soft and undisturbed. The beaches were near empty compared to a summer day. There were kids playing and a relaxed atmosphere. I did some reading and a little work. It was truly excellent.

Thanks, Chicago Beaches.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Hi everybody. I'm interested in going to college in Chicago, but coming from LA, I need a beach. So, I can see a few pics of you beaches, but can you actually go swimming in the water there? Also, how warm is the water. Do they get very crowded since there are many chicagoans and not much beach? For how long every year can you go swimming in it if you can?

Then, about the winters. Anything below 60* for an Angeleno is cold, so I understand I will be very cold. But, I've been in upstate NY (Utica) during the winter, and was wondering if its much worse in Chicago. Also, when does winter weather begin and end? Is the winter longer than the summer?

Thanks for any replies ahead of time.
Winter in Chicago itself is unfortunantly about 6 months long starting just after Halloween and lasting to about 4/15. There will be some fluctuations in the temps during Nov and March where temps one day will hit 60-70 but typically plan on 40's-low 50's at best for highs and lots of cloudy weather both months.

About Chicago public beaches, don't expect an ocean by any means with big waves. Those pics on here that someone posted are VERY misleading in the fact that you cannot see the lifegaurd boats with the lifegaurds sitting in them who yell at you the second you go out in the water past about you knees. Those people in the pics that look like they are up to their neck with water are most likely kneeling down. My advice if you want to go to semi nice beaches is on the weekends, join the thousands of Illionoisans on the Borman Expressway and go to Illinois' playground more commonly known as Indiana. The Indiana Dunes are pretty nice for a midwestern inland lake, but again don't be expecting 6-8 foot waves to go surf on. Our waves are more like ripples unless there is a big storm and then you cant go out at all. Here are the Dunes.
YouTube - Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Pretty pathetic I know. Here is Oak St. Beach of which if you look closely you can see the lifegaurd boats I mentioned sitting in about waist deep water.
YouTube - Oak Street Beach (scenic video) REDICULOS!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Go to Michigan for the real dunes, some of them are over 300 ft. tall. And I dont really think that 40's and 50's is winter weather, more like early spring weather. 10s, 20s and 30s are winter temps.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Here are the Dunes.
YouTube - Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Pretty pathetic I know.
What are you expecting, Hawaiian waves? I find the Indiana Dunes extremely beautiful and relaxing, especially if you hike a mile or so down the beach away from the visitor area. Lake Michigan and the other great lakes have their own gentle beauty which I find lacking on the coasts.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
What are you expecting, Hawaiian waves? I find the Indiana Dunes extremely beautiful and relaxing, especially if you hike a mile or so down the beach away from the visitor area. Lake Michigan and the other great lakes have their own gentle beauty which I find lacking on the coasts.
This person is from LA and myself having lived in San Diego, many times Californians wanting beaches expect beaches like they have in CA and that is just not going to happen here. Afterall the OP said he needs to be near beaches. Is that because this is a CA surfer dude looking to relocate? In any case I was merly pointing out not to expect an ocean of which some people sometimes expect even though it is only a glacial lake.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
about the temperature, i could handle down into the mid-30's. 60 is just cold for me because I don't expect it here. when i expect cold weather I can tolerate it a little bit more. so how often does the temperature drop into the 10's and 20's as highs.

i'm not coming to chicago for the weather and beaches, but I am interested in going to college in the area b/c you have some very nice ones. also, the city is just amazing i think. i didn't like it when i first learned stuff about it. i though it was just trying to copy NYC with The Loop and LA at the same time with the suburbs. but, now i see it differently. NYC is actually trailing Chicago now. Chi. has tons of new buildings going up, while NYC cant grow anymore. i used to think the skyline was ugly in how it hugs the coastline, but it really is growing on me. from google earth, it seems like there are thousands of bars and restaurants in downtown. so would i have fun in chicago since it seems like there is so much to do?
If the mid-30s is what you can handle as a bottom limit: look elsewhere. Mid-30s is a good high many, many winter days. Teens and twenties are more normal for Jan/Feb highs.

It amazes me how many coasters think Chicago copies NYC and LA. Chicago is the birthplace of the highrise. After the Chicago fire, all the insurance money rushed to the city and developed the technology to allow for highrise buildings. Chicago is very architecture-oriented. Its skyline doesn't huge the coastline as much as NYC's, either. Unlike most cities, the entire shoreline (not coast here) is public parkland. NYC builds up to the water. As for Los Angeles, LA popped up when Chicago was retirement age so I don't understand how anyone can think Chicago is copying it.

If you're looking for beach because you need a place to look out and see water until the sky's end, then you have it. If you need it for the water, then it's not so good. Chicago has six thousand things going on and only a fool (IMO) could be bored. One recommendation? Don't come here thinking you're more "advanced" or hip because you come from LA. Chicagoans know better!

There are some great schools here, good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
This person is from LA and myself having lived in San Diego, many times Californians wanting beaches expect beaches like they have in CA and that is just not going to happen here. Afterall the OP said he needs to be near beaches. Is that because this is a CA surfer dude looking to relocate? In any case I was merly pointing out not to expect an ocean of which some people sometimes expect even though it is only a glacial lake.
actually, theres a small subculture that does surf the great lakes. its not the biggest thrills, but its definitely possible on some days.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
no, i know that i wont experience any waves like around here, and if you don't set high expectations for something you know isnt great, then you will be disappointed. the main thing i was curious about is if you can actually go in the water and about how warm the water is. i know i wont be able to surf there, but is it even enough to boogie board or no. i understand its nothing like an ocean, but its better than living in north dakota. lol

Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,575 times
The water's usually cold, unless a weird wind whips up and carries the warm top water to the shore.

Boogie board? Probably not or not at least enough for a Californian to enjoy. Beach volleyball, however, we've got that covered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago