Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 13,745 times

Advertisements

I need to get to 445 N. Sacramento Blvd., which from my house, would require me either to wait for a bus at Sacramento and Chicago, or walk for about 10 minutes from Chicago (after taking the 66). I would be traveling during the daytime on weekdays. I assume it's not a good idea to go that way at night.

Whatever the route, I'm somewhat reluctant to just be outside in the neighborhood for that long since I'm a pretty defenseless looking 18 year old girl, and Asian, so I'll already draw some attention to myself.

I've walked through the edge of Englewood before, but that was just once and I'm more concerned about East Garfield because I would be traveling there so often.

I should add that I don't have a car to get there, but carpooling is a slight possibility.

Should I take the CTA, find a ride, completely avoid the place? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I wouldn't reccomend it >.>

Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
I don't think you'd necessarily have a problem, but I wouldn't want to walk that route mostly because it's so industrialized and you have to walk under a long railroad viaduct. It would just be a sucky walk, even if it were perfectly safe.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
I'm a pretty defenseless looking 18 year old girl, and Asian, so I'll already draw some attention to myself.
Some Asian girls look anything but defenseless.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
That area is barely in East Garfield Park. It's a sparse industrial area. You'll be next to a busy street and probably not see many people. I think it's fine.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Oh man, I wish I could pull that off. In my defense, I don't think these girls are Asian. The latter picture has women probably from Israel given the sign behind them.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone else has tips, feel free to let me know.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
The OP sounds new to the city. Basic tips when on the street, or anywhere in the city. El, bus, whatever: Don't look like a mark.

Some of this may sound basic, but I'm surprised how many people don't do the simple things:

Be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye on people around you, things that look suspicious etc.
When walking, look like you have a sense of purpose, don't dilly dally.
Don't have your ipod on, play with your phone, advertise you have any valuables.

I'm amazed how many people look like their oblivious to things going on around them, have their ipods so damn loud on the train, or playing with their phones / ipad on the el. Just asking for someone to walk by at a stop run by, swipe it, and out the door before you know what happened.

Just be smart out there.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
I wouldn't worry about going through that area during the day. Unless you're a gangbanger or mixing with criminal element the risk that anything will happen to you is pretty small. It's really not as dangerous as people tend to think. It definitely a high crime area but the vast majority of crime victims in that area are other criminals. I used to have a couple of good friends living around there. One lived on Lake Street right by Garfield Park and the other one lived on Chicago and Homan. I've spent a lot of time in that area and never had a problem (I'm a white, young female). The only trouble I had was one time when a very drunk woman came up and started yelling at me but drunk people are everywhere. This was also in the evening.
Just avoid looking scared or nervous. Walk like you belong there. Most likely nobody will bother you.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
I need to get to 445 N. Sacramento Blvd., which from my house, would require me either to wait for a bus at Sacramento and Chicago, or walk for about 10 minutes from Chicago (after taking the 66). I would be traveling during the daytime on weekdays. I assume it's not a good idea to go that way at night.

Whatever the route, I'm somewhat reluctant to just be outside in the neighborhood for that long since I'm a pretty defenseless looking 18 year old girl, and Asian, so I'll already draw some attention to myself.

I've walked through the edge of Englewood before, but that was just once and I'm more concerned about East Garfield because I would be traveling there so often.

I should add that I don't have a car to get there, but carpooling is a slight possibility.

Should I take the CTA, find a ride, completely avoid the place? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

What do you do for a job that would take you to Englewood and East Garfield Park?? You are a defenseless looking 18 year old Asian girl traveling there by yourself?

Why could ever take you to these neighborhoods as someone in your situation? I'm sure you may very well be very streetsmart, but I would very much think hard about walking through neighborhoods like these as an 18 year old Asian girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: