Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 06:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,262,380 times

Advertisements

600 West Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60654

that's the job location.

what would be some good areas to look at for a young professional like me?

im 25, single, no kids, straight and i'd be making something around 80k/yr.

im looking to buy a one bedroom condo so i want something decent. i also want to look at something close to the job preferably downtown.

anyone got any tips??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 61,039 times
I would look almost anywhere around that address you gave. That's a good area. Going West, stop at Western. If you go North I wouldn't go further that Irving Park Rd and probably avoid Belmont and Halsted area.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino1203 View Post
I would look almost anywhere around that address you gave. That's a good area. Going West, stop at Western. If you go North I wouldn't go further that Irving Park Rd and probably avoid Belmont and Halsted area.
thanks for the reply!!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,237,900 times
You could find places you could afford within walking distance, if that was your preference. River North is what most of the area east and south of there would be called. There is also a little bit of residential west of the river, between Halsted Street and the 90/94 Kennedy expressway that would be walkable.

Alternately, you'd probably want to live somewhere near the Brown Line 'L' or along the 66/Chicago bus line, if you're planning to use mass transit for commuting. With the 66/Chicago bus, you could live in Streeterville or the southern part of the Gold Coast (might be too expensive, but might have a few options), or west into the Ukrainian Village, particularly the East Village part of it. If you want to keep a car, that area is probably your best bet.

Along the Brown Line, West Lakeview (Brown Line stops Southport, Paulina, Addison, Irving Park) is probably your best bet for price/commute balance. You could afford some places in Lincoln Park, but less space for the money.

I live about a 15 minute walk from 600 W Chicago, so I know the area pretty well. I'm guessing you'll be working for Groupon, and I wish you well. If you're getting any stock options, now's a good time to start with the stock price down.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM

3,972 posts, read 6,930,822 times
Wow, congrats. That is good money at 25 years old. Wish I made that much, I have a year and some months to catch up. lol. With your age and the money you make you should live in River North. Its expensive but its very close to work for you. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are less expensive but the average age is younger as well.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You could find places you could afford within walking distance, if that was your preference. River North is what most of the area east and south of there would be called. There is also a little bit of residential west of the river, between Halsted Street and the 90/94 Kennedy expressway that would be walkable.

Alternately, you'd probably want to live somewhere near the Brown Line 'L' or along the 66/Chicago bus line, if you're planning to use mass transit for commuting. With the 66/Chicago bus, you could live in Streeterville or the southern part of the Gold Coast (might be too expensive, but might have a few options), or west into the Ukrainian Village, particularly the East Village part of it. If you want to keep a car, that area is probably your best bet.

Along the Brown Line, West Lakeview (Brown Line stops Southport, Paulina, Addison, Irving Park) is probably your best bet for price/commute balance. You could afford some places in Lincoln Park, but less space for the money.

I live about a 15 minute walk from 600 W Chicago, so I know the area pretty well. I'm guessing you'll be working for Groupon, and I wish you well. If you're getting any stock options, now's a good time to start with the stock price down.
Nice! Great tips! I would prefer to be in walking distance of the office, though at the same time, I really want to find the right apartment to invest, you know? if I can find the right apartment at walking distance, I'm golden!

I am bringing my own car, though to be honest if I really get the job, I'm getting rid of my car and getting a smartcar (lol). i think it'd be a good option for the city. it'd definitely make my life easier when parallel parking hahahaha. (i have a 2011 camaro at the moment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Wow, congrats. That is good money at 25 years old. Wish I made that much, I have a year and some months to catch up. lol. With your age and the money you make you should live in River North. Its expensive but its very close to work for you. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are less expensive but the average age is younger as well.
thanks! im hoping for 80 but u never know... employers employers... all i know is that i will not take anything below 75k. but we'll see!

i spoke with their HR person twice and she really liked me. tomorrow i have a phone interview with the IT team. if i pass that, then they'll want to see me in person. im feeling confident about it!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago